Demon Cycle "The Core" by Peter V Brett

Sirscott13

So recently I have fallen in love with this series. Brandon will always be my favorite author but Peter V Brett did a great job of world building, magic designing, and character develop enemy. 

The final book in the series titled "the core" comes out soon and was wondering if anyone else reads this series and is hyped for the book? I'm in need of theory crafting because 17th shard has spoiled me haha. 

Bleh.  You really should read the The Runelords series by David Farland (who, incidentally, taught a writing class that had Brandon Sanderson among its students) if you like The Demon Cycle.  Brett essentially did to The Runelords what Terry Goodkind did to The Wheel of Time: produced an ugly, blatant ripoff of a better work by throwing it in a blender and adding a liberal helping of Grimdark Sauce and political allusions.

2 minutes ago, Mason Wheeler said:

Bleh.  You really should read the The Runelords series by David Farland (who, incidentally, taught a writing class that had Brandon Sanderson among its students) if you like The Demon Cycle.  Brett essentially did to The Runelords what Terry Goodkind did to The Wheel of Time: produced an ugly, blatant ripoff of a better work by throwing it in a blender and adding a liberal helping of Grimdark Sauce and political allusions.

Meh, the first Runelords book is good. The next two weren't nearly as good. Four was eh. I couldn't be bothered to continue after that. 

I'm looking forward to The Core too. I agree that Brett did a good job worldbuilding, and the US cover for this 5th volume is so beautiful! I knew it would be Leesha this time:).

Brett has also made himself accessible to fans, though in different ways from Brandon - his little contests are fun and allow people all over the world to easily participate.

I've posted on this series before on these forums, so I won't repeat too much here - just that the series is a little violent for my personal taste, so sometimes I skim through those. It's just my own sensibility; I know it doesn't bother others as much.

Here's a theory for you @Sirscott13 - what if the Deliverer is Leesha? Not saying I'm onboard with that theory, just fun to think about...

16 hours ago, old aggie said:

Here's a theory for you @Sirscott13 - what if the Deliverer is Leesha? Not saying I'm onboard with that theory, just fun to think about...

You shouldn't read the night angel trilogy and the lightbringer series if this offends you. Interesting theory, although I really think it's as Arlen says and that there is no deliverer, not that I don't think the world isn't going to rally behind him. I think Jadir is gonna sacrifice himself to save Arlen because he finally believes in Arlen. 

I think a more interesting theory is [SPOILERS] that Rojer is still alive and in a coma 

I like this series, although reading the same events for fourth time just from another perspective isn't really my thing. I hope the last part will deliver only new events. 

Also, when will Leesha diagnose her problems with her head? He's having headaches for at least 3 books now. 

6 minutes ago, Extesian said:

Is this the only advance instalment?

Only one I've seen referenced at least. But I don't know all of the internet ;)

Forgot to mention this in the first post: My source is http://fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com/

Edit: Oh, and also the author himself, so now I don't even need to be afraid if it's legal: https://twitter.com/PVBrett/status/900815583884836870

Edited by Leiasqz
More info

On 8/28/2017 at 1:54 AM, Leiasqz said:

Only one I've seen referenced at least. But I don't know all of the internet ;)

Forgot to mention this in the first post: My source is http://fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com/

Edit: Oh, and also the author himself, so now I don't even need to be afraid if it's legal: https://twitter.com/PVBrett/status/900815583884836870

Thank you! Binged that quick.

hmm makes my rojer still alive theory weaker but awesome prologue 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...