Oathbringer Theory: Amaram

Quazar87

For some reason, I haven't seen this pop up yet. It seems obvious. With Sadeas' death, I think Amaram rises to fill his place as highprince. He was already the second most powerful lighteyes in his realm, and Sadeas mentions having an understanding with him. I think he is Sadeas' heir. That will certainly put a damper on any attempt to prosecute Amaram for killing Kaladin's men and stealing his Shards.

Edited by Quazar87

1 hour ago, Quazar87 said:

For some reason, I haven't seen this pop up yet. It seems obvious. With Sadeas' death, I think Amaram rises to fill his place as highprince. He was already the second most powerful lighteyes in his realm, and Sadeas mentions having an understanding with him. I think he is Sadeas' heir. That will certainly put a damper on any attempt to prosecute Amaram for killing Kaladin's men and stealing his Shards.

Ooo, I like this. I like this a lot. If Amaram is Highprince I bet Ialai will also remain a force to be reckoned with. She most likely knows of Sadeas' understanding with Amaram. I think it would be a clever way to keep both characters relevant. +1

I like it!

I also think that Dalinar is going to Resign his position of Highprince to Adolin in order to make the Radiants a more neutral force. This would leave Adolin having killed Sadeas as Highprince and Amaram who is a distinctly dislikable man, not to Mention that Roion also needs a new Highprince, so we are going to be getting a lot of those.

10 hours ago, Quazar87 said:

It has been discussed into may thread, though never into its own thread. The rational is definitely there and many of us like the idea.

40 minutes ago, signspace13 said:

I like it!

I also think that Dalinar is going to Resign his position of Highprince to Adolin in order to make the Radiants a more neutral force. This would leave Adolin having killed Sadeas as Highprince and Amaram who is a distinctly dislikable man, not to Mention that Roion also needs a new Highprince, so we are going to be getting a lot of those.

I honestly do not think Adolin will ever be Highprince. I also do not think Dalinar's first impulse will be to resign as Highprince, it would leave with no military power, no seat to influence events in Alethkar, no leadership position except the one for four Radiants. It really does not seem like a smart move nor one Dalinar will do. Also, once it comes out Adolin murdered Sadeas, we can bet Dalinar will NOT abide in favor of his son. He'll probably disown him.

1 hour ago, maxal said:

It has been discussed into may thread, though never into its own thread. The rational is definitely there and many of us like the idea.

I honestly do not think Adolin will ever be Highprince. I also do not think Dalinar's first impulse will be to resign as Highprince, it would leave with no military power, no seat to influence events in Alethkar, no leadership position except the one for four Radiants. It really does not seem like a smart move nor one Dalinar will do. Also, once it comes out Adolin murdered Sadeas, we can bet Dalinar will NOT abide in favor of his son. He'll probably disown him.

It isn't guaranteed that Sadeas's murder will be found out in some huge way, and even if it was I doubt Dalinar would treat Adolin unfavourably. We have president for Dalinar cleaning up for the mistakes of the younger generation, most notably the way he handled the Roshone matter, although this is more high class than that it was done with some much more noble intention, mostly the fact that Adolin did it both to protect his father and Alethkar from the division Sadeas would cause but also because Dalinar would definitely understand the thoughts in Adolin's head at the time

All of this comes down to whether Adolin outright confesses the murder to his father as it is something important he should definitely know.

1 hour ago, Calderis said:

@signspace13 I think it's from a recent signing, so I can't find the WoB on Theoryland, but we've got one that says both no one knows Adolin did it, and that if Dalinar knew, he'd go very hard on him. 

Krakow

Q: Will Dalinar punish Adolin for killing Sadeas?
A: He doesn’t know. Nobody knows… If he knew, he’d probably will.

15 hours ago, Quazar87 said:

Excellent theory.

I wouldn't say I "like it" because, the idea sounds absolutely horrifying :P

But this is a very good thought.

18 hours ago, signspace13 said:

It isn't guaranteed that Sadeas's murder will be found out in some huge way, and even if it was I doubt Dalinar would treat Adolin unfavourably. We have president for Dalinar cleaning up for the mistakes of the younger generation, most notably the way he handled the Roshone matter, although this is more high class than that it was done with some much more noble intention, mostly the fact that Adolin did it both to protect his father and Alethkar from the division Sadeas would cause but also because Dalinar would definitely understand the thoughts in Adolin's head at the time

All of this comes down to whether Adolin outright confesses the murder to his father as it is something important he should definitely know.

I don't think your assumptions are entirely accurate. While it is true Dalinar has shown he was willing to go at length to protect the younger generation, he has systematically excluded Adolin from it. He is also known to go hard on Adolin, harder than required, harder than on everyone else and while this behavior is in part derived from the fact Adolin is the heir, it also is a flaw within Dalinar's character (confirmed by WoB). In shorts, Dalinar is only able to have open affection towards those he carries a guilt toward. Elhokar, he blindly loves because of the guilt he bears towards his behavior towards his brother. Renarin, he blindly loves for similar reasons: he makes him think of himself, forced at being the second son behind a great older brother. He has automatic sympathy for Renarin while Adolin no doubts reminds him of Gavilar and his feelings towards Gavilar have always been half-negative, half-positive.

I thus disagree Dalinar will understand. He won't. Adolin is not allowed to make mistakes. He is not allowed to disappoint his father. On the day he does so in such a spectacular manner, his father will not go easy on him. And we do have a WoB which states Dalinar would punish Adolin, shall he find out.

• Chaos locked this topic