What's your favourite fantasy series?

ICanDream

What's your favourite fantasy series?  

97 members have voted

1. 1. What's your favourite fantasy series?

• Stormlight archive
    • Mistborn era one
    • Mistborn era two
    • Lord of the Rings
    • Harry Potter
    • A song of ice and fire
    • Malazan book of the fallen
    • Kingkiller Chronicles
    • Assassin's Apprentice
    • Wheel of time
    • Sword of truth
    • Sword of shannara
    • Inheritance
    • First law
    • Dagger and the coin
    • Other

I want to know what the general consensus on good fantasy series is. I assume Stormlight will win, but beyond that I don't really know. So vote on your favourite fantasy series. 

(If your favourite series isn't here, vote other and tell me what's missing.)

Kingkiller and Stormlight are just about tied for me, but I had to go with Kingkiller in the poll. A lot of the charm of Stormlight for me is knowing that it's part of an even bigger story, and that we'll be getting tons more relatively soon. But as of right now, with only two books in each series, Kingkiller got the vote.

Its a tie between Stormlight Archives and LOTR . The Malazan series was allright(characterization wasn't great though) 

Inheritance cycle was a disappointment, the first book was delightful but the others were a let down.

Harry Potter is obviously amazing, the Kingkiller chronicles is equally amazing in a different way.

I voted Stormlight ^_^

Thanks for the replies. I find it odd that Asoiaf isn't doing very well. Stormlight is winning (duh) and malazan is doing surprisingly well (personally I thought it would get no votes). Still no votes for Harry Potter and Mistborn era two. (And eragon but that was very flawed and cliched for me, so no surprises for me.)

As soon as I said no one voted for MB era 2, I knew someone would vote it.

I haven't read Dresden files but powder mage is my third favourite series of all time (after asoiaf and Stormlight.) I'm about to read Sins of Empire. Can't believe I forgot about Powder mage!

I voted for Mistborn era 1. There is no other series I have recommended as much as that one. I have literally purchased ~10 copies and given them to friends, family, and complete strangers.

That being said, I have a strong dislike for the word "favorite". I think the "Kingkiller Chronicles" is one of the most beautifully written pieces of literature I have ever read. Patrick Rothfuss is Michelangelo of writing. The "Belgariad" by David Eddings was one of my first fantasy series and I think it is a wonderfully accessible start to fantasy for younger readers. "the Lies of Locke Lamora" by Scott Lynch was one of the most captivating and entertaining books I have read in a long time (warning: the rest of the series is, to me, hot garbage). "The Hobbit" is the premiere classic in fantasy and I would find it hard to take a fantasy reader seriously who also claims they have never read it (yes, yes, that is pretentious of me but come on! It is the freakin' Hobbit for crying out loud!). 

/endrant

I voted Stormlight, but it was a tricky choice, as Harry Potter and the Wheel of Time are also stunning in their own way. Mistborn was under consideration for having created Kelsier, who is the best character ever written, but ultimately focused on series and not on character. Wonder if Dune and Xanth belong in the list too, then again its already quite long.

Edited by WhiteLeeopard

4 minutes ago, Flash said:

A couple really good books: the Illuminae files. 

My wife doesn't find time to read, but she will drop everything when the next Illuminae Files book is released. I am less enthusiastic about the series, but applaud the ingenuity of the series. I entered her into the online contest the authors held so hopefully she will end up with her name in the book (supposedly it will be part of a several page casualties list)!

2 minutes ago, Ammanas said:

My wife doesn't find time to read, but she will drop everything when the next Illuminae Files book is released. I am less enthusiastic about the series, but applaud the ingenuity of the series. I entered her into the online contest the authors held so hopefully she will end up with her name in the book (supposedly it will be part of a several page casualties list)!

I loved how different it was. It felt fresh and exciting. And that's really cool!

1 minute ago, ICanDream said:

No actually, but I'm planning on reading it, and reviews seem to think it's fantastic.

Edit: this was in reply to @Ammanas

As typical for a Daniel Abraham book the first book is the weakest, but the story gains momentum as the series progresses. I think it's great and hope you enjoy it!