Hoidsds flute and another question about Rayse {Spoilers?}

AnonymousFan

Kaladin left hoods flute behind. So really what was the point of including this in the story, it had absolutely no importance whatsoever as far as I can see. Poor Hoid has no more flute now.

Ok my second question. I've heard something about this "Champion rule" with Rayse. Can someone explain?

PS. No spoilers because I've read WOK,WOR but haven't gotten around to most of the Arcanum Unbounded shorts. 

Mistborn/elantris spoilers are ok

4 minutes ago, AnonymousFan said:

Kaladin left hoods flute behind. So really what was the point of including this in the story, it had absolutely no importance whatsoever as far as I can see. Poor Hoid has no more flute now.

Hoid is very upset about the flute. 

http://www.theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=1110#10

THE_ARCHDUKE

Will Kaladin ever get Wit's flute back to woo a certain red haired young lady?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Wit is very mad about Kaladin losing the flute. If he recovers it, he wouldn't let Kaladin have it again.

He's RAFO'd most questions concerning if the flute will come up again, and I think that's pretty much what we have to do. 

7 minutes ago, AnonymousFan said:

Ok my second question. I've heard something about this "Champion rule" with Rayse. Can someone explain?

The Shards have the ability to invest into a champion. This is about all we know. We don't know what the ramifications or limitations on such a thing are, but I'm not alone in thinking we've seen this before. 

Mistborn spoilers 

Spoiler

The clash between Marsh and Elend at the end of HoA seems likely, with Vin/Preservation using Elend and and Ati/Ruin with Marsh. 

It obviously has story implications as Tanavast directs Dalinar in his vision to somehow get Odium to think he can lose again to get him to invest into a Champion.

Some extra mentions of the flute

Q: Where is Hoids flute and does he want it back

A: Sadeas had it. Yes.

Q: Did the Lord Ruler have any hobbies / anything he just enjoyed doing not related to being a tyrant?

A: He did. Actually, across a thousand years he tried pretty much everything. He was most fond of music.

Q: Composing, playing, or listening to?

A: Playing and listening to. Not composing. 

Q: Did he perhaps play the flute?

A: Yes, he did. 

Q: Is that the flute Hoid gave to Kaladin?

A: RAFO.

Q: Should I even care about the flute [that Hoid gave Kaladin]? If Sadeas had it, would that mean it has become part of Amaram's collection?

A: It's not a big deal, but that doesn't stop fans from caring. So I can't say whether you should or not. :)

And the Champion concept is mentioned by Tanavast in a way that implies it's realmatically binding 

“I wish I could do more,” repeated the figure in gold. “You might be able to get him to choose a champion. He is bound by some rules. All of us are. A champion could work well for you, but it is not certain. And … without the Dawnshards … Well, I have done what I can. It is a terrible, terrible thing to leave you alone.”

14 minutes ago, Slowswift said:

I believe it was made of wood. Don't have my copy of WoK with me so I can't provide a specific reference, but I'm pretty sure on that.

Yeah

Kaladin turned toward the stranger. His flute was carved from a dark wood that was almost black. The instrument seemed too ordinary to belong to a lighteyes, yet the man held it reverently.

12 hours ago, Calderis said:

Hoid is very upset about the flute. 

http://www.theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=1110#10

But I have to say losing the flute is almost entirely Hoid's fault. I mean, the first thing Kaladin said when he got the flute was that he would give it to someone else. Really, Hoid should have been listening. After all, Kaladin is a man of his word. 

• 1 year later...
  • Chaos locked this topic