Szeth's Bonded Honorblade

jngonzo

Question

So, I've scoured all the questions and can't seem to find one that answers mine, so correct me if I'm wrong.

In one of the WoB threads I read, Brandon answers a question that honor blades can't be bonded,

"Q:  Can someone bond more than one Honorblade

A:  Honorblade?  You can't bond an Honorblade, though it can be given to you. Shardblades, however, come from a spren bond and it is possible to bond more than one. [This was cleared up at a later signing.]"

but at the end of WoR, Szeth clearly severed his bond with the blade, when Syl says to Kaladin, "He has released the bond. He's nothing without that sword! It must not be lost!" (1256 paperback ed.)  

So my question is, can an honor blade be bonded or not?  And if it is bonded how is it done? With a gem at the bottom like "regular" shardblades?

3 answers to this question

Here's a later WoB

INTERVIEW: Mar 19th, 2014

WoR Signing Report - darkanimereal1 and luke (Verbatim)

QUESTION ()

You mentioned that human can’t bond Honorblades, but Nalan tells Szeth that his bond with his Honorblade has been broken. Can you clear this up?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Humans CAN bond Honorblades. There's a crucial difference between Honorblades and Shardblades. When you drop an Honorblade, it does not disappear, even if it has been bonded. A Shardblade will disappear when dropped