Shardblade Rules

Darth Revan

From what I understand, a Shardblade can cut straight through pretty much everything mundane in the world. But when a shardblade goes through a human, it leaves no physical damage, but severs the soul instead. When Szeth cuts off Kaladin's hand, it makes me wonder what makes that particular cut go through his physical body instead of his soul. I assume that the reasoning is that the cut removes only a small part of Kaladin's body, leaving him mostly intact. But that begs the question, where is the line? What does the severity of the wound need to be in order for the Shardblade to cut the soul instead of the flesh?

14 minutes ago, Darth Revan said:

What does the severity of the wound need to be in order for the Shardblade to cut the soul instead of the flesh?

That cut did sever the soul. His flesh went grey, and the arm was still there. 

If his arm had been physically cut, he'd have needed to regrow it. 

16 minutes ago, Darth Revan said:

From what I understand, a Shardblade can cut straight through pretty much everything mundane in the world. But when a shardblade goes through a human, it leaves no physical damage, but severs the soul instead. When Szeth cuts off Kaladin's hand, it makes me wonder what makes that particular cut go through his physical body instead of his soul. I assume that the reasoning is that the cut removes only a small part of Kaladin's body, leaving him mostly intact. But that begs the question, where is the line? What does the severity of the wound need to be in order for the Shardblade to cut the soul instead of the flesh?

Shardblades cannot cut living things, so first it cuts the spirit. 

Edit: Ninjad by @Calderis :ph34r:

Edited by King Cole

3 minutes ago, Darth Revan said:

I think I must have misread that section then. I read it as Kaladin losing his hand and then regrowing it.That makes much more sense with my understanding of souls and Connection. Thank you, all!

He could have regrwon it. A shardblade cuts the soul of the specific limb that it cuts. The guard who had his legs chopped off didn't die, but his legs did in a way

10 minutes ago, King Cole said:

He could have regrwon it. A shardblade cuts the soul of the specific limb that it cuts. The guard who had his legs chopped off didn't die, but his legs did in a way

I think that I was partially getting mixed up with Lopen regrowing his arm. I understand that healing oneself is an ability that the Radiants share.

On 8/14/2017 at 3:08 AM, Darth Revan said:

I think that I was partially getting mixed up with Lopen regrowing his arm. I understand that healing oneself is an ability that the Radiants share.

I think that they have some healing power, but they won't be able to bring back to life someone

Spoiler

like an Edgedancer could.

On 8/21/2017 at 4:02 AM, matfire1999 said:

I think that they have some healing power, but they won't be able to bring back to life someone

Hide contents

like an Edgedancer could.

Spoiler

Or a Truthwatcher, or one of those fancy fabrials that somehow use the surge of Progression.

13 hours ago, Hafrigado said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Or a Truthwatcher, or one of those fancy fabrials that somehow use the surge of Progression.

Spoiler

Yes, you're right. I forgot about truthwatchers

Spoiler

Are you sure Radiants already had fabrials? I thought they were some recent discoveries from about the same time it was discovered how to bond shardblades

17 minutes ago, matfire1999 said:
Spoiler

Are you sure Radiants already had fabrials? I thought they were some recent discoveries from about the same time it was discovered how to bond shardblades

They used it in Dalinar's flashback in the chapter Starfall in WoK.

It's possible it's not a "fabrial" as in a Spren trapped in a gemstone. It might be different.

Spoiler

Which could be why Brandon changed the scene where Nale brings Szeth back to life. He originally said he used a "fabrial" but in the new one he had him say "Surgebinding". Although he definitely used some device. He might have just wanted him to say that the fabrial used Surgebinding. (Which kind of makes sense since they use Spren)

Or.....

Bands of Mourning spoilers

Spoiler

It could be like the "allomantic grenades" but store Surgebinding.

Edited by Hafrigado
Just thought I should mention that Dalinar said it looked like some kind of fabrial nobody actually called it that.

• Chaos locked this topic