New Mistifarian

Weyah

Greetings!

I was recently turned on to Brandon Sanderson ( I can hear the gasps ) thanks to a friend on Goodreads and have finished the Mistborn series ( I now have a severe case of Sandersonitis ) and recently purchased The Way of Kings and Warbreaker. This is probably the cheesiest question ever, which one should I read first? 

Welcome to the Shard @Weyah

That's a tough question! I read Way of Kings before Warbreaker and it served me pretty well. If you've got Sandersonitis then go with WoK cause it's a little more intense than Warbreaker. But there's a few allusions to Warbreaker in the Words of Radiance (I'm not sure about WoK) so if you want to be in-the-know on a couple minor details I would go with Warbreaker. 

Sorry if this doesn't help XD

Edited by Tenziden

Gramercy @Tenziden !  I was leaning towards WoK simply because of  the Wheelan cover (yes, I shamelessly judged a book by it's cover ) but was wondering if Warbreaker has a lead in to WoK. Thank you for clearing this up for me. If I do start WoK, will I miss a lot by not reading Warbreaker first? Don't mean to sound like a noob but this is all new to me. Really appreciate your help. Just don't want to miss anything of importance.

1 minute ago, Weyah said:

Gramercy @Tenziden !  I was leaning towards WoK simply because of  the Wheelan cover (yes, I shamelessly judged a book by it's cover ) but was wondering if Warbreaker has a lead in to WoK. Thank you for clearing this up for me. If I do start WoK, will I miss a lot by not reading Warbreaker first? Don't mean to sound like a noob but this is all new to me. Really appreciate your help. Just don't want to miss anything of importance.

Like I said, I read WoK first and was fine. Brandon wrote the Cosmere books to be independent of each other, so anyone could pick up on any series and be perfectly fine reading it; the lore connecting them all is meant for the dedicated readers to make connections between the worlds. So by reading Warbreaker first you could probably pick up on a few very minor details in WoK but they're fairly trivial and won't prevent you from enjoying the book in the way Brandon meant you to. Does that make sense? 

I definitely agree with what @Shqueevessaid

18 minutes ago, Shqueeves said:

Welcome! Have a warning against the cookies (avoid them)! As for your concern, you will not miss much by not reading Warbreaker before WoK. When recommending books, I usually place Warbreaker between WoK and WoR

Cookie warning? And thank you for the welcome @Shqueeves ! Excellent, will start WoK tonight, and will follow your advice as far as Warbreaker.

Edited by Weyah

17 minutes ago, Tenziden said:

Like I said, I read WoK first and was fine. Brandon wrote the Cosmere books to be independent of each other, so anyone could pick up on any series and be perfectly fine reading it; the lore connecting them all is meant for the dedicated readers to make connections between the worlds. So by reading Warbreaker first you could probably pick up on a few very minor details in WoK but they're fairly trivial and won't prevent you from enjoying the book in the way Brandon meant you to. Does that make sense? 

I definitely agree with what @Shqueevessaid

Thank you again @Tenziden really didn't want to miss out on anything of great importance. I still find it hard to believe that I somehow missed out on reading Sanderson earlier! Not sure how it happened ! As soon as I read the first chapter of The Final Empire I was hooked. Any suggestions as to what I should read after the WoK books and Warbreaker? Is there an order? I know you said they can be read independently, but again, I don't want to miss out on anything.  ( How is the Mistborn RPG by the way....have you played it or heard how it is? )

Edited by Weyah

16 minutes ago, Weyah said:

Thank you again @Tenziden really didn't want to miss out on anything of great importance. I still find it hard to believe that I somehow missed out on reading Sanderson earlier! Not sure how it happened ! As soon as I read the first chapter of The Final Empire I was hooked. Any suggestions as to what I should read after the WoK books and Warbreaker? Is there an order? I know you said they can be read independently, but again, I don't want to miss out on anything.  ( How is the Mistborn RPG by the way....have you played it or heard how it is? )

After those I would definitely read Elantris, it's Brandon's first Stormlight book and it's got some good stuff. If you're still digging the Cosmere after that (and who wouldn't be??) then Arcanum Unbounded is a great place to go, it's got new Shardworlds to see and revisits some old ones. The Era 2 Mistborn books are also fantastic, it delves deeper into the ways of the Metallic Arts and introduces some really cool concepts. 

Essentially, if you see a book with the name Brandon Sanderson on it, READ IT.  XD

As for MAG, I can't tell you anything about it but would love to try it out sometime! 

Edited by Tenziden

1 minute ago, Tenziden said:

After those I would definitely read Elantris, it's Brandon's first Stormlight book and it's got some good stuff. If you're still digging the Cosmere after that (and who wouldn't be??) then Arcanum Unbounded is a great place to go, it's got new Shardworlds to see and revisits some old ones. The Era 2 Mistborn books are also fantastic, it delves deeper into the ways of the Metallic Arts and introduces some really cool concepts. 

Essentially, if you see a book with the name Brandon Sanderson on it, READ IT.  XD

Thanks @Tenziden ! I have so many of his books I want to read but had no idea where to go after Mistborn! I really appreciate you taking the time to lend a hand. My brain was hurting trying to figure out where to go from Mistborn !  Sanderson is simply brilliant. I am a hard core David Gemmell fan and he has been my favorite author for many, many years, however Sanderson may be filling that spot soon. I really love the alchemy side to his books. The whole concept of burning metals in Mistborn blew me away. Just amazing ! 

Welcome @Weyah! It's great to have you here. I agree with all of the advice above, and hope you have a great time reading! Sanderson is a genius, and his books are so fun to read. 

And by the way, try to avoid double posting, as it is generally frowned upon here. 

1 minute ago, Rebecca said:

Welcome @Weyah! It's great to have you here. I agree with all of the advice above, and hope you have a great time reading! Sanderson is a genius, and his books are so fun to read. 

And by the way, try to avoid double posting, as it is generally frowned upon here. 

Thank you @Rebecca ! I agree, Sandersone is a genius ! Did I double post? How does one double post so I can avoid it ! Sorry, just new and have not learned the navigation process yet.....seems my newbiness is showing.

5 minutes ago, Weyah said:

Did I double post? How does one double post so I can avoid it ! Sorry, just new and have not learned the navigation process yet.....seems my newbiness is showing.

Don't worry about it, it's not that big of a deal, just a tip. All I meant was, earlier, you posted two things in a row. Usually, you just put all the information on one post. Unless of course someone else has posted something between your posts. And if it's because you forgot to add something, you can always edit your post.

Edited by Rebecca

1 minute ago, Rebecca said:

Don't worry about it, it's not that big of a deal, just a tip. All I meant was, earlier, you posted two things in a row. Usually, you just put all the information on one post. Unless of course someone else has posted something between your posts.

Apologizes @Rebecca I thought I was answering different posts. Thank you, I will try to be more aware!

19 hours ago, Weyah said:

( I now have a severe case of Sandersonitis )

we all have this affliction....only cure is to RAFO.....lol....happy reading....Warbreaker is still one of my all time good reads of Sanderson even after reading Stormlight 1 & 2, Mistborn era 1 and Elantris.....currently reading Alloy of Law (mistborn era 2)....i'm impatiently waiting till Warbreaker 2 comes out in 5-6 years 

welcome to the family :ph34r:

21 hours ago, Weyah said:

Greetings!

I was recently turned on to Brandon Sanderson ( I can hear the gasps ) thanks to a friend on Goodreads and have finished the Mistborn series ( I now have a severe case of Sandersonitis ) and recently purchased The Way of Kings and Warbreaker. This is probably the cheesiest question ever, which one should I read first? 

Hi there Weyah and welcome to our little crazy fun house!

I know several people have already answered your question but here's my two cents as well, just 'cause I can't resist answering :D . I'd read WoK first, I mean Warbreaker is amazing as well but Way of Kings, and the Stormlight Archive series as a whole, is just on another level, in terms of storytelling, plot intricacies and just the sheer scope it. after you finished Wok, you ould either jump straight to Words of Radience (that's what I did, I just had to know what happened next) or you could read Warbreaker in between the two, it doesn't really matter. There's a minor connection to Warbreaker in Words of Radiance which you would appreciate more if you've already read Warbreaker but besides that, reading Words of Radiance first won't effect your experience at all. 

I personally read Warbreaker after reading the first two Stormlight Archive books and I don't regret it at all. Ultimately though, that's all up to you.

Oh by the way, Oathbringer, the third Stormlight Archive novel comes out in November in case you didn't know, so you wanna be caught on the series by then if possible. 

Moving on, then you have Elantris, which is the very first Cosmere book Brandon published, that's a really good book too. There's also White Sand. and Arcanum Unbounded which is a collection of Cosmere short stories and novellas and it is absolutely amazing. But wait till you've read, WoR, WoK, Warbreaker, Elantris and Mistborn Era 2 (if you haven't read it already) before reading Arcanum Unbounded otherwise you'd be spoiled big time. 

As someone else in this thread mentioned, Brandon has written each series and standalone Cosmere book, so that they can be read and fully enjoyed independent from other Cosmere books and series (with the exception of Arcanum Unbounded) so don't really worry yourself about the order of it, just make sure you read it all. Have fun!