7 hours ago, overlordjebus said:

Before Tera made it much further, he tripped over an unfortunately placed pile of sticks laying on the ground.

Alarms go off in Dan's head as he lies on the ground. His cover is finally blown. 

But no. He pulls his most reliable card:

8 hours ago, overlordjebus said:

"I am Dan, who is indeed a human!"

The human, who Dan faintly recalls called himself Teralarin, nods and walks away, satisfied with Dan's response. Content, Dan stands back up (with a fair amount of effort), when he senses something-

5 hours ago, Megasif said:

Ziconidas was awed by everyone else in the line. He would take a quick glance at the people that introduced themselves and then look away the next moment so as to not be noticed by anyone.

Ahh, I'm so useless. That stick has more courage than me. And what is with so many claiming to be human. Should he have done that?

There were all sorts of people in the line. Some highprince. An ex-assassin. Some drunk looking person walking towards them.

Truthless? What even is that? Hope we don't do anything too extreme.

Ahh, I'm so useless. That stick has more courage than me. And what is with so many claiming to be human. Should he have done that?

That stick has more courage than me.

stick

he might as well have said it out loud. 

Dan strolls towards the man and when he reaches close enough, yanks the man by his collar. He covers his mouth with one hand- for Dan cannot afford to let the others know- and backs away from the lined up people until the curtains cover them.

"What do you know?" Dan hisses as he uncovers Zirconidas' mouth "fellow human." he adds as an afterthought.  

4 hours ago, Arraenae said:

Malnar barked out a short laugh. "Brightness, you have no idea what you're talking about. Going through Basic is like going through hell, but worse."

He looked at the woman's slight figure and patted her on the back. "Don't worry, you won't have to go through this. What're you, a scribe? Maybe an engineer? Nobody makes the women do anything."

"I've practiced with a sword before," she said, doing her best to sound confident. "The Devotary of Kelek requires diversity in talents."

"I am ready to do whatever the Almighty calls me to," she added. And anyway, surely this soldier is exaggerating. It stands to reason that a soldier might remember training as more difficult than it actually was. Reminiscing how terrible it was together probably helps to unite them.

4 hours ago, _Stick_ said:
10 hours ago, Megasif said:

stick

he might as well have said it out loud. 

Dan strolls towards the man and when he reaches close enough, yanks the man by his collar. He covers his mouth with one hand- for Dan cannot afford to let the others know- and backs away from the lined up people until the curtains cover them.

"What do you know?" Dan hisses as he uncovers Zirconidas' mouth "fellow human." he adds as an afterthought.

This was not what he had expected. Such hostility. Had he done something wrong?

Zirconidas was held by the collar and a stick-hand covered his mouth.

Could he have been thinking aloud again. That's going to get him killed one of these days. What he didn't understand was what he did to offend this at-first-gentle seeming stick man. Could it be? Did he know about Zirconidas' brother?

"What do you know?" The stick hissed as he uncovered Zirconidas' mouth, followed by "fellow human" which came as a whisper.

Zirconidas already knew it spoke but...this stick... it was a stick, wasn't it.

Zirconidas didn't know much of the world outside Alethkar but since the return of the radiants, he had decided not to be surprised by anything ever again.

No one else seemed to find the stick strange so Zirconidas made a decision. It would change everything. 

He swallowed. 'I-I know...that you are Dan...who is indeed a human' Zirconidas croaked, looking away from the stick's eyeholes.

28 minutes ago, Drake Marshall said:

"I've practiced with a sword before," she said, doing her best to sound confident. "The Devotary of Kelek requires diversity in talents."

"I am ready to do whatever the Almighty calls me to," she added.

"Nalan's breath, the commanders here aren't barbarians! They won't force a woman to fight. Really, you won't see much action in the backline unless a chasmfiend breaks through, by which point you're already doomed." Malnar shook his head. "You should be thankful. I wish I could have a cushy job as a scribe."

8 minutes ago, Arraenae said:

"Nalan's breath, the commanders here aren't barbarians! They won't force a woman to fight. Really, you won't see much action in the backline unless a chasmfiend breaks through, by which point you're already doomed." Malnar shook his head. "You should be thankful. I wish I could have a cushy job as a scribe."

"Within the Ardentia, we do not have the same customs about men and women. These guidelines work very well for society as a whole, but within the Ardentia in particular, our calling is whatever the Almighty wills," she said. "If the Almighty wills that I am a scribe, a scribe I will be. If the Almighty wills that I am a soldier, a soldier I will be."

2 hours ago, Drake Marshall said:

"Within the Ardentia, we do not have the same customs about men and women. These guidelines work very well for society as a whole, but within the Ardentia in particular, our calling is whatever the Almighty wills," she said. "If the Almighty wills that I am a scribe, a scribe I will be. If the Almighty wills that I am a soldier, a soldier I will be."

A woman that chose to fight with a sword? That was...unheard of. On the other hand, Malnar's mother had insisted that he learn how to read and write in the women's script, which he'd found useful multiple times. Ma hadn't been very religious.

"I don't think Kenara's willing to experiment, but if she wants to put you through Basic, that's her choice," Malnar said. This girl would probably drop out of Basic before too long.

4 hours ago, winter devotion said:

But I have, apparently. I am slightly baffled as to what I did to earn this honor. 

QF10.  The whole game I had a Merc called Ari.  I fought long and hard to keep his name, even having to deal with a pillow and tent that kept whispering 'Wilson' over and over, and in the end you (GM) had him killed him off in the write up by Aman.

3 hours ago, Haelbarde said:

Upon reflection, I'm going to be busier than I thought, so I'm going to have to drop out, I think.

Ooh, ooh.  Can Lorna kill you off and harvest your head? 2t0seHVu3my5DcElV3ulOytx2ZB9daFXqmd-_xa5tY3-MCxPm9g1ys21tCVFShStIRbkKeYp8wVaMh3pO7H5oJNYciEmssrwBZE-lgX4nsHzuBPz1_z4WzIt_GlAINweLq1X-PYN

For the record, I might not be playing. I just like the idea of only roleplaying this game as a Truthless, regardless of whatever role or alignment I actually get, and seeing how the GMs and players deal with it. Might end up spectating as well. I'll decide Thursday, probably.

Did you hear about this new...squadron?

Hithon lifted his head from the bundle in his arms, turning towards his spren's 'voice'. "What do you mean?"

The pattern by the fireplace hummed in amusement. Come with me

Quickly, gently, he felt the bundle, still warm in his arms. It remained still...for now. "I can't leave now..."

Hithon could almost feel Anor rolling her eyes, and cryptics didn't have eyes. Not a lie, but it is not a truth either. She's still here. Come!! 

"Almighty, you're determined, aren't you?" He stood from his chair, and then Anor was beside him, humming gently. Hithon didn't bother waving her off. Yes, he was in his own home, he knew where everything was, and no, he had never actually fallen - a lie, Hithon - Shut up, Anor, that was a stumble. He had never fallen, but still Anor insisted on following him around and humming whenever he approached an object. 

Then again, with the bundle in his arms, which Anor seemed to share his love of, perhaps he didn't mind being extra careful. 

“Lyna?” He called.

Footsteps. Running. Hithon braced himself, just as a small figure barreled into him, and his leg was suddenly locked into immobility by two tiny but strong arms. There was the sound of giggling and Anor’s happy buzzing. In a voice full of sunlight, the little figure announced that a ferocious whitespine now held his leg hostage, and “Mama’s in the bedroom writing!”

Hithon laughed and reached down with one hand to stroke the little whitespine. “I don’t think my leg is that tasty, Elanor. Perhaps this little whitespine should go try tasting the axehounds instead?” He resisted the urge to dip into Shadesmar, to grasp his daughter’s soul in his hands and see her, see her smile. No. There was too much a risk of going slack. 

With a giggle and another tight leg hug, Elanor ran to find her favored partners in crime. 

You know that's not going to end well. 

Hithon grinned and braced himself. "What are you talking about? She's a sweet little girl!" 

LIES!!!! 

he found Lyna - or rather, heard her reed scratching parchment incessantly. Heard her murmuring softly to herself, trying out words and phrases in her head. He smiled. Perfect. “Dear, Anor wants to show me something. Could you take Estel for a moment?”

As he expected, she didn’t even look up, only murmuring a “Sure?” 

Before she had the chance to reconsider, he gently placed little Estel - their son - beside her, kissing both their foreheads softly. “I’ll be back in five minutes, promise.”

She mumbled and waved him off, apparently deeper in writing frenzy than he had first thought. He grinned and took a calculated risk. “Say, you wouldn’t mind if I took some of our infused spheres right?”

“Mmhm?... Hey wait, I need those -” 

But he was already gone, and laughing.

=o=o=o=o

“So… an elite squadron of Knights Radiant, fighting alongside Alethkar’s army?” Hithon couldn’t hide his amusement. “Didn’t they try that before?”

He turned - and sensed that Naihar was no longer there. He rolled his eyes. No surprise there. It had been a pleasant surprise running into his old brother, and evidently time had not changed Naihar one bit.  

Shrugging, he reached into his belt, making sure his spheres were still there. Assured of enough Light, he dove into Shadesmar, forming a small platform of spheres to observe the souls below. 

Spren. Lots of them, congregating around the area. “Anor?”

Those are Radiant spren, Hithon. Spren of all kinds, already bonded. These men are not new Radiants. But I sense Highspren as well. They do not seem happy with this.

Hithon glanced at her, smiling slightly at actually being able to see her form. “Highspren? Nale’s spren?”

Yes.

“He’s upped his game, then, recruiting actual Skybreakers to do his work.”

It would seem so.

“Well, I wish them all luck. Let’s go home, Anor.”

You’re not joining them?

“Anor, I have a family. Come on. Let’s go make sure Lyna hasn’t let dinner burn. I’m...pretty sure she hasn’t”

That is a lie

Hithon laughed and escaped Shadesmar. Turning away from the squadron assembled below, he made his way home.

Home to his family. 

=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=

In other words, I love this idea, but I have to sit this one out :P Spec doc link, please!

Also hi @Ecthelion III and @Drake Marshall. I have fond memories of you guys :1 

Edited by Doc12

9 hours ago, Alvron said:

QF10.  The whole game I had a Merc called Ari.  I fought long and hard to keep his name, even having to deal with a pillow and tent that kept whispering 'Wilson' over and over, and in the end you (GM) had him killed him off in the write up by Aman.

Ooh, ooh.  Can Lorna kill you off and harvest your head? 2t0seHVu3my5DcElV3ulOytx2ZB9daFXqmd-_xa5tY3-MCxPm9g1ys21tCVFShStIRbkKeYp8wVaMh3pO7H5oJNYciEmssrwBZE-lgX4nsHzuBPz1_z4WzIt_GlAINweLq1X-PYN

I'm kinda disappointed now... I didn't actually do it by any sort of strategy, just the write up. Well, I'll get you in a game I'm playing for real one day! Everybody will want to kill me!

wait a minute...

The bird stood expectantly, waiting his place in line. Brightness Kenara's finger skipped right over him as she went from one squire to the next. The bird squawked indignantly. He sprinted over to a spot further down the line. She skipped over him again. Throwing up his wings in annoyance, the bird sprinted over, again, to a place three spots down the line, where he jumped up and down, waving his wings and squawking. She skipped over him yet again. The bird stood still for a moment, before running around a building nearby. He bonked one of the ardents over the head and took his cowled robe. Finding a pair of wooden planks to make makeshift stilts, the bird hobbled back. By this time, there were only two people left in line. The bird stood at the back, shrugging the hood down further. This time, Brightness Kenara pointed at the very short, oddly proportioned man with the deeply hooded robe.

"Srlvr. Kshtrmntr. Mmmnmtbybrhd"

(Silver, Exterminator. May or may not be a bird)

Silver said in his best Alethi impression. He had been human, at one point at least, before that incident with the shardpool...

9 hours ago, Doc12 said:

Also hi @Ecthelion III and @Drake Marshall. I have fond memories of you guys :1 

Heh, I considered running this game as Uther. But I have certain things I want to write as the next chapter in Uther's story before I put him in another game. And Aaliyah will make a good character I think. It's always fun to maintain a few characters at a given time...

Hope all is well with you Doc. I have fond memories too.

I look forward to the time when our characters meet again in an SE game :D

19 minutes ago, Darkness Ascendant said:

@Flash You should know them well enough to know that the formula is a stupid plot device. If only they used something cool like Shazam!

I mean seriously, they said the formula came from Ancient Egypt. Which I may add did not have any form of algebra :P 

There are stupider things in comics. 

10 minutes ago, Flash said:
31 minutes ago, Darkness Ascendant said:

@Flash You should know them well enough to know that the formula is a stupid plot device. If only they used something cool like Shazam!

I mean seriously, they said the formula came from Ancient Egypt. Which I may add did not have any form of algebra :P 

There are stupider things in comics. 

Every fictional work involves a willing suspension of disbelief.

Some people are more willing to suspend their disbelief than others, of coarse. Which is part of what accounts for differences in taste.

Obviously though, everybody here has above average tastes in literature, because this is a Sanderson fan site. :lol:

1 hour ago, Drake Marshall said:

Every fictional work involves a willing suspension of disbelief.

Some people are more willing to suspend their disbelief than others, of coarse. Which is part of what accounts for differences in taste.

Obviously though, everybody here has above average tastes in literature, because this is a Sanderson fan site. :lol:

I will say I am willing to suspend a lot of belief. A lot. You get that from reading as many comics as I do. 

But some things are over the line. like some of supermans ridiculous powers. Namely, Super counting, his mullet, the whole shooting a mini him out of his hand, and super gardening. 

Ah the good old silver age. So ridiculous.