2017-11-18 [Oathbringer] Murder By The Book - Houston, TX

Pagerunner

Words of Brandon: (paraphrased until transcriptions)

Elantris says the Shaod often comes at night. Does it always come at night?

No.

Was Nightblood’s Sheath present at its Awakening and is it part of the Intent. 

No. I mean, it may have been there and prepared for its use, but it is not part of the first Awakening or the Intent. 

So at some point we may learn how it learned to stop with the sheath?

I... The sheath is specially made and is special but it was not part of the Investiture, the Command, or the Intent. Good questions.

DCD4FEB9-490D-40DE-99C4-3559FD5E42CC.jpeg

Edited by Cadmium
Format

For those that may not have heard it, Brandon is in town until Tuesday. He’s doing stuff tomorrow with the LDS Church.

Monday he’s recording an episode of Writing Excuses at NASA. Then flies out for a Tuesday tour stop? It was hard to hear what his sister was telling the guy asking, but then again that’s how eavesdropping goes!!

In Bands of Mourning, outside Kelesina's mansion, Hoid states he "owns the place, technically." Why does he say that?

Because he thinks he does. (He said something...else. Sorry I was so tired I forgot, and I didn't think to ask the followup of WHY does he think that)

In Words of Radiance, Shallan’s necklace that she trades for her brother’s life is made out aluminum. Is this the only time we’ve seen aluminum on Roshar, not including Oathbringer?

No it isn't. (I was going somewhere with that but it was my last question and rush rush rush)

Out of all the shards, why did Odium go after Devotion and Dominion?

Partially because they were breaking the rule, and because he seeks out those that might be a challenge to him.

Was it a necessary thing that Adonalsium split into 16 shards, or was it just  happenstance? Was it necessary to have exactly 16 people to break Adonalsium? Would the number of shards and/or intents been different if there were more or less?

RAFO

Why do only the Terris have the specific sDNA for feruchemy?

RAFO

Why does Shallan call her father's maps strange? Are they not of Roshar?
They are of Roshar.
Follow up: Then why were they strange?
There's nothing there, no hint to anything.

Can Lift touch a voidspren? What would happen?
RAFO

Was Uli da Amibition's Vessel
Yes.

IMG_0787.thumb.jpg.824fdb0bab23f32958ec509e288eac93.jpgIMG_0788.thumb.jpg.01a06a37c52ee1fd5f67ec818e4f2acd.jpg

7 minutes ago, Argent said:

Good work! I would have to rake my brain a little bit, see if I can figure out where else we have seen aluminum. Shardblade guards are an obvious candidate, I think. 

Yes my hope there was that he was going to say "No" and then I was going to ask if that's confirmation that they are NOT aluminum.....but he said yes, and I told him that was my last question so....I just moved on >.>

10 hours ago, CosmereQuestioner said:

Haven't we seen Nightblood...and it's sheath?  Couldn't that be aluminum?

WoB confirm that the sheath is at least partially metal. 

My question last night confirms it was specifically prepared but was not Invested  at the time of Nightblood’s initial Awakening & it wasn’t part of the original intent.

I dont know if that implies Nightblood has been Awakened more than once or Invested more than once or if more than one intent has been placed upon it. 

It was great meeting everyone there yesterday! We sure got nice and friendly, all crammed there into that small room.

Most of my questions were Oathbringer related.

Spoiler

My first one, I was wondering if there were always slaveform parshmen between Desolations, or if that was a newer thing that had only happened after the False Desolation. I didn't get a straight answer on that one; I was referred to Peter, since that's apparently something they've gone back and forth on. So, I'll make sure to give an update once I hear back from him.

Second one, I asked if all three Letters in this book are from Shards. They are all from Shards, and they are all from Shards we know. So, process of elimination, that pretty much leaves us with Endowment for #1, Autonomy for #2, and Harmony for #3.

Third one, I asked if Dawnshards were of Odium's Investiture. RAFOd on that.

I had one non-OB-related question, but it was drawn from the Dragonsteel Bridge Four sequence, so I'll spoiler that one, as well.

Spoiler

I asked if Nightblood was like the Tzai Blows, pulverizing the Spiritual Aspect, which had a resulting effect on the Physical. He said yes, Nightblood directly attacks the Spiritual aspect.

The recording of the signing line turned out great, so we'll put that in our Arcanum worklist and get that out to you guys as soon as we're able.

Look forward to seeing you all at the next Houston signing!

Great to meet everyone!  I haven't posted much here but I have read almost everything Brandon has written and am starting to get involved more in the theorizing.  I was the guy with the giant backpack and the one who asked Brandon's sister about their schedule.

I appreciated Pagerunner answering some questions as well and getting a chance to finally talk to someone else who had finished the book.  Most people I talked to hadn't stared or where only on Part 1.

Wasn't able to get much. I enjoyed myself but the crowd was insane. Got stuck outside so I couldn't really hear Brandon during the Q&A and reading.

Spoiler

IMG_1198.thumb.JPG.9d35d057c1c418718e1a096943144b56.JPG

This was the only picture I got. I wanted so badly to do the regular line but my mom, she didn't want me going down by myself, didn't want to "be here until midnight" so I did the express. Despite not getting to really do much Brandon was so nice and the fistbump was neat.

53283317539__3EDBB2D5-1402-4967-93BB-7F680A540499.thumb.JPG.1fbb474fdb8f4aeb4f14c6feb312acf2.JPG

IMG_1202.thumb.JPG.bef9e004e4a23afec77d60c91f4d1a95.JPG

IMG_1203.thumb.JPG.9394752eb34388e01dac5edb8d6f72ab.JPG

IMG_1204.thumb.JPG.2cdab2da04f8daf56c725c11a4c97e2b.JPG

IMG_1200.thumb.JPG.af1549be10451d3710402be80e129283.JPG

IMG_1201.thumb.JPG.5a0d32765c237e65e45517a6326e56a5.JPG

I got the card as my freebie at the table and I got SOS and BOM the next day at the Woodlands Mall since I wasn't able to actually shop while there.

1 hour ago, Vulcronos said:

I was the guy with the giant backpack and the one who asked Brandon's sister about their schedule.

My wife & I were sitting behind you (maybe a different guy) when you were chatting her up. We were kinda smirking to each other because we legit thought you were asking for their schedule trying to get her digits (or whatever the kids ask for these days)... She is… very attractive. 

Edited by Cadmium

1 hour ago, Cadmium said:

My wife & I were sitting behind you (maybe a different guy) when you were chatting her up. We were kinda smirking to each other because we legit thought you were asking for their schedule trying to get her digits (or whatever the kids ask for these days)... She is… very attractive. 

I had a couple general questions and she wasn't busy so I asked.  I remember there was a couple days break between Houston and the next signing so I was curious what they were doing.  Apparently Brandon is going to record Writing Excuses at NASA and Adam said they would tweet Monday if the session was open to the public.  I doubt it will be but it would be cool to see if it is.