Tell us what we're doing, since we can't decide :P  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Tell us what we're doing, since we can't decide :P

• A Joe in the Forest
    • A Joe in the Court

This poll is closed to new votes

10 hours ago, A Joe in the Bush said:

Hello Everyone. You may now vote for which of the threads I will be controlling. Aonar will Preside over the other. Choose wisely, and remember, there is a wrong choice. The Wrong Choice is not voting at all.

@Clanky You're not in LG36 anymore. want to sign up? @Araris Valerian You cannot bring up your activity levels in LG36 anymore. want to try here?

Well I guess I've got no excuse. I'll sign up, character name and backstory coming at a later date.

*looks at rollover time

Oh.

Fyi. Everyone i am so not gonna be on at rollover xD 9.30am my time. Ill either be at uni or very sound asleep. 

Also just in general, my activity will be spotty. Very spotty. As in some days jmight not be able to be on for longer than a hour kind of spotty. Dont kill me for being quiet pls? Then again. Im always quiet. Heh. 

Also my character shall be named CB (pronounced: see bee). These initals can mean many things! CB likes her name to be secret. Maybe it means Carrie Brule. Maybe it means Cyanide Biscuit! Okay its Carrie Brule but she goes by her initials. 

Ooh, this looks fun. Just a few rules questions...

17 hours ago, Aonar Faileas said:

The Test: Each player can, once in the game, choose to die. If they do, they will be resurrected into the other thread, given a random non-unique role and have a 60% chance to switch alignments (ergo, villagers will tend to stay villagers, just in the new thread, and elims will tend to stay elims.).

I'm not sure what this means. From my point of view, 60% chance means that players usually switch alignments, so villagers are likely to turn elim. Even if it's a 60% chance to stay the same alignment, 40% chance of changing is still pretty high.

Edit:

Gunnerkrigg is Village, and Gillitie Eliminator, and vice versa in the Wood thread.

Ah. Got it.

Protector of the Forest: Gifted enormous power by Coyote to protect your Medium, the very trees have become an extension of your being. In Gillitie Wood, you are all but omnipotent, although you feel your physical body atrophying. Kill, Protect, Roleblock, Redirect, Extra Life. Can use up to two actions each night, however, additional uses count towards atrophy. If they use three actions consecutively, they die. Powers weakened during Meetings (loses the extra action period). Unique.

So if the Protector uses 2 actions N1 and 1 action N2, they die? Or can they say on N1 they used Action Action and on N2 they used Nothing Action, which would mean their 3 actions aren't consecutive? Or am I entirely misreading this?

Making Everything Boring: Any random effect always lands the way you wish it. Unique. (Note, requires specific targets, and knowledge of the random effects; cannot affect more than two things at once.)

So, to clarify, the MEB knows who the Zeta is. He uses his power on the Zeta so that that 10% chance definitely occurs. He also makes it so that the random number of people is "everyone" Once inside the shadow dimension, he uses his random power to make it so that the random chance of his power working correctly in the nightmare dimension is 100% He also makes it so that the Zeta's nighmare dimension randomly kills only people of the other faction

This is allowed, right?

Right?

I call dibs on the Making Everything Boring.

Anyways, I'm signing up as the inspector, who refuses to give his real name, but insists on critiquing safety procedures as though he had a real degree. Which he does, it's just that nobody has ever seen it. Wears a fedora to go along with his labcoat, just in case he needs to look stylish at a moment's notice.

(In the case that I don't read enough about the setting before the game start, I'm going to assume that the forest is Mirkwood, plus fairies, and the court is... engineer. ish. Like the research chambers in the steel inquisition if all the inquisitors were Santa's elves. Feel free to correct me on that, though.)

Edited by Paranoid King

Well, I'd never heard of Gunnerkrigg Court before now.

However, a short trawl through the Wikia page (I absolutely adore Wikia... Except for the Stormlight Archive Wikia. Because the Coppermind is obviously much better :P) I think I understand what this is all about.

And if this is technically two linked games, I figure you're going to need players. So... Count me in.

I'll sign up as... (*covertly pulls up a name generator on a new tab*) Anwir.

5 hours ago, Paranoid King said:
22 hours ago, Aonar Faileas said:

Making Everything Boring: Any random effect always lands the way you wish it. Unique. (Note, requires specific targets, and knowledge of the random effects; cannot affect more than two things at once.)

So, to clarify, the MEB knows who the Zeta is. He uses his power on the Zeta so that that 10% chance definitely occurs. He also makes it so that the random number of people is "everyone" Once inside the shadow dimension, he uses his random power to make it so that the random chance of his power working correctly in the nightmare dimension is 100% He also makes it so that the Zeta's nighmare dimension randomly kills only people of the other faction

This is allowed, right?

Right?

Haha, I said almost the same thing to Aonar on my first read through of the rules. But that isn't possible. While some vagueness is allowed, you cannot target 'everyone.' You can target at most 2 players. so you can ensure that Zeta activates, and you can ensure that one specific person gets drawn it. You also can't target 'only people of the other faction.' You have to target specific actions or players.

And if you are in Zeta's realm, it's not a random effect of your powers not working correctly, it's an unpredictable effect. If you target yourself with the 'Make everything boring' Power, you might be able to use your power perfectly, or you might become boring by losing your power entirely. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1 hour ago, A Joe in the Bush said:

Haha, I said almost the same thing to Aonar on my first read through of the rules. But that isn't possible. While some vagueness is allowed, you cannot target 'everyone.' You can target at most 2 players. so you can ensure that Zeta activates, and you can ensure that one specific person gets drawn it.

Ah. interesting. I wasn't seeing the power as targeting each specific person to get them into the nightmare dimension, I was looking at it as raising the random number of people drawn in up to [whatever the player count is.] Would you still be able to do that?

23 hours ago, Aonar Faileas said:

Zeta: Officially speaking, you do not have a power. Unofficially speaking, you are very, very scary. 10% chance each Turn for you and a random number of others to be transported to a nightmarish alternate dimension.

It would probably be a lot safer to target individual people each cycle, but if you wanted no day votes and a huge amount of randomness, it might be the way to go.

@Paranoid King: There are some limits on Zeta's ability, to keep the game balanced, and MEB cannot overcome those limits. PAFO on anything more specific. :P

And you're understanding the Protector role properly. If they use two actions in one turn, they cannot use any one the next without dying. If they use one action on the first turn, then one on the next, they have to skip their actions on the third turn if they want to stay alive. 

And I'll PM the people who want the spec doc after I've made it. I feel the need to state for the record however that I am deeply disapointed in you all. >> (Except Mage, since he seems appropriately contrite. :P)

Aww. I had half an hour of questions lined up and formatted nicely, then I undid a step and everything was undone. I'll try to sum them up here:

1. Will the threads also be compiled into 2, for easy reading? (So at the end of the game, you will have a LG37 court and LG37 wood?)
  2. Do medium votes take a majority of players? (IE, if 11 people are in the court, 6 of them need to vote to change the medium? Or is it like the normal lynch, where the medium changes every turn someone votes?)
  3. I'm guessing there is an elim doc, but no faction doc, based on the witch's role. Is there a new elim doc every turn, to deal with people who go through the test?
  4. Do meetings take place over a full day/night cycle?
  5. PMs are only used during the night, and only initiated by special roles, right?
  6. Are anwyn themselves immune to achewater? If an anwyn passes another a glass, neither will be drunk? Or is that just flavor?
  7. Does the Rogat Orjak's -1 vote take an action, being optional?
  8. Does the test take an action?
  9. Does the protector's redirect relate to actions or votes?
  10. What determines activity for the telepath?
  11. The etheric scientist is just like the MEB, right? Except his ability only applies to roles, and can't affect the engineer? (So if the lynch tied, the MEB could determine who died, but the ES couldn't?
  12. Speaking of which, do ties kill a random or does neither die?
  13. If I'm reading this right, if the protector tried to do one action N1, N2, and N3 (total of 3,) he would die, but if he did 2 actions N1 and N3 (total of 4,) he would live? Or is is that if you do 3 actions within a space of 3 turns, you die?

I think that's all my questions until the game starts. Thanks, Aonar!

19 minutes ago, Paranoid King said:

Aww. I had half an hour of questions lined up and formatted nicely, then I undid a step and everything was undone. I'll try to sum them up here:

1. Will the threads also be compiled into 2, for easy reading? (So at the end of the game, you will have a LG37 court and LG37 wood?)
  2. Do medium votes take a majority of players? (IE, if 11 people are in the court, 6 of them need to vote to change the medium? Or is it like the normal lynch, where the medium changes every turn someone votes?)
  3. I'm guessing there is an elim doc, but no faction doc, based on the witch's role. Is there a new elim doc every turn, to deal with people who go through the test?
  4. Do meetings take place over a full day/night cycle?
  5. PMs are only used during the night, and only initiated by special roles, right?
  6. Are anwyn themselves immune to achewater? If an anwyn passes another a glass, neither will be drunk? Or is that just flavor?
  7. Does the Rogat Orjak's -1 vote take an action, being optional?
  8. Does the test take an action?
  9. Does the protector's redirect relate to actions or votes?
  10. What determines activity for the telepath?
  11. The etheric scientist is just like the MEB, right? Except his ability only applies to roles, and can't affect the engineer? (So if the lynch tied, the MEB could determine who died, but the ES couldn't?
  12. Speaking of which, do ties kill a random or does neither die?
  13. If I'm reading this right, if the protector tried to do one action N1, N2, and N3 (total of 3,) he would die, but if he did 2 actions N1 and N3 (total of 4,) he would live? Or is is that if you do 3 actions within a space of 3 turns, you die?

I think that's all my questions until the game starts. Thanks, Aonar!

1. Don't know. :P That's a question for Wilson.

2. I was initially thinking majority, but changed my mind recently; if one thread happens to have enough players go inactive to prevent majority, that could leave one side without a Medium, and unbalance things. Medium vote will work the same way lynch does for electing; however, if you want to remove the role, it requires a clear majority.

3. PAFO. :P

4. Yes.

5. At night, anyone can PM people in their thread. During the day, only special roles can.

6. PAFO. :P 

7. No. It's passive, just toggled, and toggling does not take an action.

8. Yes.

9. PAFO. :P 

10. If they posted last turn, and did not give any sign that they would not be inactive.

11. The Etheric Scientist can either Roleblock Etheric roles, or ensure that Court Etheric roles actions are successful, barring additional outside influence. (Note, successful. The ES cannot force Zeta to create a distortion, as this is not considered a success. :P) MEB can affect any random chance, however cannot roleblock. So not really. They have similar effects in some cases, but function very differently.

12. Ties kill a random player between those tied.

13. No, you are not reading it right. They die after their third consecutive action. No fourth action happens, period. And it's not within three cycles, it's concurrent cycles. Every time they don't take an action for a whole cycle, the counter resets.

There once was a beautiful women. Exquisite in every way.

...Well, except for when she was eating. Then it was all slurps and smacks and grunts. 

Every morning, she would go out onto the surrounding countryside to have breakfast alone. This way she had the entire meal to herself and no one would be around to see her eat.

And what a meal it was! She would have a huge spread set out before her, with every delicacy that she could muster. There, beneath her favorite tree, she would gobble and crunch to her heart's content. 

Or so she thought. For you see, she had picked Anansi's tree to lay her feast and it wasn't long before her constant bleching and chewing awoke the spider. 

Anansi grumbled when he was first awakened. It was not many who would disturb his rest if they knew what was good for them. He initially left his home to give the rude visitor a piece of his mind. But upon seeing the beauty before him he stopped. 

No, not the woman, but the glorious amounts of delicious food that had suddenly appeared at his home. Obviously, this was a meal befitting a king and though it was being horded by some oblivious tart, it must have been meant for him. All he needed to do was figure out how to get her to leave him the feast without her spoiling it. 

So Anansi went to his brothers and sisters, telling them of the feast that awaited them and promised an equal share if they helped him. And so, over the next few weeks, they began developing in the woman a soul crushing fear of spiders. Whenever and wherever the woman went, she would find his brothers and sisters waiting. In the bath. In her shoes. In her hair when she went through her thousand strokes. The only place that she was safe from her torment was at Anansi's tree and her breakfast, for he had told his siblings that he had a broken leg and would not be able to join them in their plan. 

Though many died, Anansi urged them on, reminding them that their deaths just meant bigger portions for the rest of them. They continued on, until the woman was so deathly afraid that she would run screaming at the mere mention of a spider. 

And yet they still continued, on Anansi's request, until only Anansi remained of his kin. 

And so the day came. The woman, shivering and shaking, always looking over her shoulder, set up her breakfast once again at Anansi's tree. 

But this time, Anansi came down from his tree, his "broken" leg suddenly healed. He strolled up behind the woman, cleared his throat, and gave her his fanciest bow.

"My dear, beautiful lady. Might I, perchance, join you as you partake of this scrumptious looking meal?"

The woman, leapt to her feet, screeching like a banshee and fled without a second look. 

And as I'm sure you can assume, Anansi ate like a King that night; never needing to share the meal with anyone. 

This tale is as ancient as time itself. It was old well before the "civilized" people of the Dark Ages appropriated it (as they do all things) into a nursery rhyme and made the tramp the main character as Little Miss Muffet. 

Do you know what the lesson of this story is? To not be glutton? To ask before trespassing on another's property?

No. The lesson is far more simple. 

Do NOT mess with The Spider. 

Should I be joining this game? Absolutely not. I really don't have the time to devote. I'm working 10 hour days and then I'll have classes starting soon at the end of August as well as working a full time job. Not to mention that I have a game that Drake and I have been working on for a while now that I've seriously been neglecting, much to my dismay. 

Can I really pass up this game after I started reading about the Gunnerkrigg Court ever since Aonar first pitched the idea? My answer remains the same. Besides, I've had this idea for a character for this game for weeks now and he won't let go until I actually get a chance to play him out. :P 

I typically go for a name that at least somewhat reflects my username to keep things simple, but I've got to break from that for this one. Anansi joins the ranks! 

Edited by Metacognition

Mists , I realy want to join , it seems realy interesting plus a lot of people are joining with whom I havent rly played before , burnt , da and even BUDGIE !  But following last game through my phone was hard , this seems even harder . But I definitely want to watch.

2 hours ago, Elenion said:

Sorry, but between a lack of knowledge about the topic and a lack of time to play both this and the QF at once, I'm going to have to take a spec doc link.

If cycles in QF will last for 24 hours then there chance that QF can end before this game starts.

Anyway I'm here not to convince someone to play this game, I'm here just to sign up for this intriguing game, looks like it's gonna be fun. Character's name will be Fess. Will RP later, maybe :P

5 hours ago, Drake Marshall said:

Well. I am now on Chapter 24. Well done Aonar.

I have finished the entire webcomic in a span of one day. Yes, well done Aonar. And Burnt as well. 

...Please do not ask what...responsibilites... I neglected to focus on the comic.

*stuffs ears to block out...the screams...

It was... It was worth it? 

19 minutes ago, Doc12 said:

I have finished the entire webcomic in a span of one day. Yes, well done Aonar. And Burnt as well. 

...Please do not ask what...responsibilites... I neglected to focus on the comic.

I believe I'm at chapter 34 since last posting...

6 hours ago, Doc12 said:

I did the same thing.  Started at around 9 pm and didn't stop until 6 am.  I'm too old for that...