What's your favorite cosmere plot twist ***SPOILERThis post has been reported for attempting to skirt the rules

Xero stormz

The thing that first brought me to love Sandersons work is his plot twists. I blew through the Mistborn Trilogy in no time and the end gives me goosebumps just thinking about it, since then I've been a Cosmere fanatic. So what's your favorite? Mine is personally involving the voidbringers at the end of WoK

I have two in WoR. One is 

Spoiler

when we find out that Amaram's Shardblade is Helaran's, so basically KALADIN KILLED HELARAN. This was pretty flooring for me the first time I read it.

The other is at the end when we find out that

Spoiler

Shallan is the one that killed her mother and her mother's lover, and Lin covered for her. That it's kinda all Shallan's fault for the decline of her house. Not that she wasn't perfectly justified in defending herself when her mother came at her with a knife, but yeah.

The biggest one for me was in Words of Radiance and I think it was only a plot twist bc of other books I have read. Let me explain

Spoiler

I thought for sure the Ghostblood attack on Shallan's ship, in the beginning, was a dream sequence. I have seen it done in several books so I was very much surprised it turned out to be real.

21 hours ago, FiveLate said:

Mine isn't in a Cosmere book, the Twist at the end of Perfect State was Perfect.

Agreed. That twist came out of nowhere (well, not really, it was well foreshadowed looking back at it) and fits brilliantly into the major theme of "real" vs "fake" of the novella.

Another one will have to be the one at the end of the Way of Kings:

Spoiler

That the Parshendi/Parshmen are the Voidbringers. The ubiquitous presence of the Parshmen instantly made it a major threat that would have enormous socio-economic consequences to deal with, in practise making it a ticking bomb that you could do nothing about. I loved how major and heavy the reveal felt, contrasted with how their are so bloody omnipresent and passive in Words of Radiance.

• 2 weeks later...

Most surprising plot twist: Warbreaker

Spoiler

Denth all the way.  I had no idea, I had to reread that scene a few times to really understand what was going on.

Favorite plot twist: WoA

Spoiler

Ruin editing all the prophecies, and tricking Vin into releasing him.  It was just so brilliantly done, I didn't see it coming but could see the foreshadowing so well afterwards.  And I was on vacation without the next book, so the cliffhangery ending after that horrible gut-punch was even stronger.  That one just really got me from an emotional and an impressive writing standpoint.

Hero of Ages

Spoiler

The ending of HoA

Bands of Mourning

Spoiler

Kelsier(presumably) still alive in BoM

Words of Radiance

Spoiler

Adolin killing Sadeas cold-blooded

Warbreaker

Spoiler

Denth. Just Denth

Elantris

Spoiler

The reason why Aon Dor didn't work and the Hrothen's redemption

The Way of Kings 

Spoiler

The Parshendi are the voidbringers

Words of Radiance 

Spoiler

Kaladin killed Heleran

Warbreaker 

Spoiler

Lightsong's death; it wasn't necessarily a huge twist. I just really loved his character and didn't see it coming. 

Mistborn Trilogy 

Spoiler

The Koloss were once human. 

My favorite plot twists:

Mistborn

Spoiler

So far: 

EM -  Gemmel being influenced by Ruin; Kell beginning to find his plan.

TFE - Kell's death+ real plan. I couldn't believe he died permanently (turned out I was right not to) but his plan was perfect.

WoA - Tindwyl dying, Sazed breaking and Ruin being freed. ESPECIALLY the scene where Saze reads the metal tablet. And Marsh's betrayal.

HoA - Saze being the hero, Kell still being around, Marsh freeing Vin.

SH -ELANTRIANS?! are after Preservation?! Khriss and Nazh! Finally. Kell stabbed Elend. And impersonates Ruin. And arranged the whole thing where Marsh frees Vin. And cons Sazed. And... wait a minute! It's the end of the novella - why don't you have a body yet?!

AJatPoE - his girlfriend being Kollos blood; modern kollos; what did you do Kelsier?! Why were there spikes in the bottom of that conveniently spear shaped pool?

W&W - Eddard Ladrian being behind everything; Wax not getting together with Marasi. Marsh cameo.

SoS - There IS someone on the South Magnetic Pole! Lessie being Paalm being the governor. MeLaan. TenSoon cameo.

BoM - SoScads! Wax and Steris in love and finally married! Bands are actually a spearhead! Temple is a con. And Kell is back... seriously Ladrian, why do you think the Soveriegn is Rashek?! Oops, that coin is a coppermind and it is Kell's. And what was that red eyed thing possessing that poor man. 

Aaaand, that's it for Mistborn. I'm too tired to do the others now...

• 2 months later...

There are so many great plot-twist in the Cosmere, but here are my top three:

Mistborn: The Final Empire

Spoiler

Kelsier's death and then the reveal of his true plan

The Hero of Ages

Spoiler

Vin and Elend dying, and Sazed becoming the hero of ages, and the whole mist-sickness/misting thing. This was crazy, and the best plot twist I've ever read!

Elantris

Spoiler

Dilaf being a Dahkor, and the whole plan to take over the world. Also why the AonDor wasn't working

Edited by MasterJack

• Chaos locked this topic