Table top games people like playing?

Looter

So who plays tabletop miniature games here?

If you do what do you currently play, and what would you like to play but don't? 

If you don't why not, and do you do anything else like paint miniatures,  or play more common games like magic?

To answer my own question I currently play Warlord from Reaper mini.  It is a great little game with an easy tactical skirmish rules setup. 

In the recent past I would play Battletech but many of the people in charge, and site moderators need to focus on the game more.

Well? How about you guys?

Miniature games are too expensive for me and do not appeal to me as a result. 

Tabletop gaming, on the other hand, I love. Though I don't get to do as much as I would like. 

Currently, I mostly play Arkham Horror LCG, Elder Sign, Galaxy Trucker and Mansions of Madness. I will give Legend of the Five Rings LCG a try once it comes out this year. 

I can totally respect not turning into a beggar for your hobby. One of the reasons I play Warlord, and battletech is you can play off one book for each and just use proxies of everything. It is nice to play with things I like, and have available, and not What You See Is What You Get.

I play a fair amount of board games, but haven't really fallen for the miniature games. The only one I have is "Battles of Westeros" (and I'm not even sure if that qualifies) but we only played that a few times. I semi-regularly host a gaming session at home for some of my colleagues, and the ones we play most often are Power Grid, Agricola, Puerto Rico and lately Battlestar Galactica. I guess the themes for those are "less dice, more strategy".

I guess they would be games like Warhammer.

If I understand it right you basically have a table that's made to look like real life terrain, with 3d versions of everything, and then you have your "armies" in small miniature figures that move around the terrain. Googling "Warhammer board game" should give you the idea. Owning, collecting and painting the figures is a huge deal among a lot of people, including my boyfriend in his childhood. I think he has a whole cupboard filled to the brim with those figures.

Edit: I have Ticket to Ride and Splendor as well, never got around to playing Pandemic. Do you have an account at Days of Wonder to play TtR online? I got one but then found I didn't like playing online against strangers.

Edited by Leiasqz
Forgot the last part..

21 hours ago, Looter said:

So who plays tabletop miniature games here?

I am not sure what tabletop miniature games are, something akin Descent: Journeys in the dark?

Anyways that's the only miniature game I am playing now.(Well, LOTR Risk too, but I think that doesn't count)

Edited by Idealistic

On 7/30/2017 at 9:22 AM, Idealistic said:

I am not sure what tabletop miniature games are, something akin Descent: Journeys in the dark?

Anyways that's the only miniature game I am playing now.(Well, LOTR Risk too, but I think that doesn't count)

Sure it can count it is a fun game with little soldiers.  I have my daughter paint them.  She loves it.

On 7/30/2017 at 7:56 AM, Leiasqz said:

Edit: I have Ticket to Ride and Splendor as well, never got around to playing Pandemic. Do you have an account at Days of Wonder to play TtR online? I got one but then found I didn't like playing online against strangers.

I guess I am so out of the loop that I didn't even know you could play online...I only have played the physical game with family and such. I will think about signing up online and let you know.

What version of Ticket to Ride is your favorite? I really like the 1910 expansion on the original and the European edition is fun too (although it is a little difficult locating some cities bc they go by names that no one uses anymore). I have not played any others so perhaps there are better ones out there that I have not had that chance to play.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/30/2017 at 3:30 AM, Orlion On a Cob said:

Miniature games are too expensive for me and do not appeal to me as a result. 

Tabletop gaming, on the other hand, I love. Though I don't get to do as much as I would like. 

Currently, I mostly play Arkham Horror LCG, Elder Sign, Galaxy Trucker and Mansions of Madness. I will give Legend of the Five Rings LCG a try once it comes out this year. 

Hmm, I may try out Arkham Horror LCG. It sounds interesting. :)

I've never been a fan of Ticket to Ride. Dunno why, but there's way too much hanging onto cards and not enough actual movement.

As miniature games I play Star Wars X-Wing and Lord of the Rings LCG from time to time.

On 7/30/2017 at 9:22 AM, Idealistic said:

I did a mathematical analysis of LoTR Risk one time, using map bonuses, defensibility, and strongholds, and I found that the best strategy for early game in 2-player is to seize the Black Gate, Ithilien, and the City of the Corsairs, and just lock down that whole corner of the map for +4 and practically unassailable, while denying the forces of good their Gondor bonus.

What I'm really into is stuff like D&D and Star Wars: Edge of the Empire, the latter of which turns tabletop as you have dice spilling off of every available surface and a big old whiteboard to keep track of where everything is and who is in whose line of fire.

• 4 weeks later...

I've considered picking up something like x-wing, but it seems like a really expensive hobby to get into.  That and finding other players to play with seems almost impossible.

Scott Manley's video on star wars armada seems like it'd be another thing I might like.  but that seems even more expensive.

I've never been much for miniatures, because the idea of needing to paint them seemed so arduous that I wouldn't enjoy them.  But I was part of a small group who played LotR table top, and I had a lot of fun with that.  Sadly, the group no longer plays.  *sigh* oh well.

On 8/21/2017 at 11:59 PM, Briar King said:

I used to play Axis & Allies or Chess. Loved both so much I'd play against myself.

Love Axis & Allies. Just played a game with 3 friends over last weekend, at a cabin, while it rained on us the whole time. I played as the Axis powers and each of my 3 friends played as an Allied power. In the end we were living in the World of the Rising Sun. They never stood a chance against one military mind controlling both Germany and Japan. 

Love me some axis and allies. I played Scythe for the first time a few days ago, and it's the first non-RP physical game that has piqued my interest in over a decade. I lost handily- like 81-36(me)-20ish...

I'll second @Elenion. D&D and Edge are both fantastic games. I also cannot abide any of the 'train games' besides Empire Builder. Like, actively hate them, rather than the usual indifference.

Scratch that first statement. I did learn the rules to Go a year or so back. That's good stuff. I thought about it so much I was playing against myself in my sleep that night... I like chess, but I'm not some grand master or something. I'll beat any chump off the street but no one who plays seriously. Learned to play when I was 3. That is my claim to fame.

Generally though, the moment you attach board to my games, I get bored. There's a good reason those words sound the same.

To speak to the real topic, I used to play Mage Knights with my uncle. That was pretty decent, and certainly expanded my horizons.

• 3 weeks later...

Used to play a lot of Warhammer. These days I mostly stay away from Miniature games due to budgetary reasons. That's a hobby that can take over your spending quickly.

One of my favorite tabletops right now is Dominion. It's a realy fun deck building game. Everyone should play it it's super fun.