Ruin influencing Preservation's Mists - how?

Kanrei

My question is, how could Ruin, while he was traped in Well, influence Mists, make them stay longer in day to kill plants?

Was mechanism of this explained?

As I understand it, white Mists were Preservation power, its gaseous form in Physical realm. Its primal function/goal was to start snapping people when Preservation power returned to Well.

But how could Ruin affect power of other Shard while he was mostly impotent at that point. Even if he was getting stronger as Well filled up, he still would need to influence directly power of another Shard, seems to be way harder then whispering to people and changing written texts.

Any ideas, or maybe WoB how could it work?

Ruin affecting Preservation's Mists is mentioned in Epigraph to chapter 81

Snapping has always been the dark side of Allomancy. A person's genetic endowment may make them a potential Allomancer, but in order for the power to manifest, the
body must be put through extraordinary trauma. Though Elend spoke of how terrible his beating was, during our day, unlocking Allomancy in a person was easier than
it had once been, for we had the infusion of Preservation's power into the human bloodlines via the nuggets granted to nobility by the Lord Ruler.
When Preservation set up the mists, he was afraid of Ruin escaping his prison. In those early days, before the Ascension, the mists began to Snap people as they did
during our time—but this action of the mists was one of the only ways to awaken Allomancy in a person, for the genetic attributes were buried too deeply to be brought
out by a simple beating. The mists of that day created Mistings only, of course—there were no Mistborn until the Lord Ruler made use of the nuggets.
The people misinterpreted the mists' intent, as the process of Snapping Allomancers caused some—particularly the young and the old—to die. This hadn't been
Preservation's desire, but he'd given up most of his consciousness to form Ruin's prison, and the mists had to be left to work as best they could without specific
direction.
Ruin, subtle as ever, knew that he couldn't stop the mists from doing their work. However, he could do the unexpected and encourage them. And so, he helped make
them stronger. That brought death to the plants of the world, and created the threat that became known as the Deepness.

I couldnt find any info about it on Theoryland, and Sanderson didnt say anything in Annotations to Mistborn on his website.

Edited by Kanrei
Added Epigraph from HoA chapter 81.

My understanding of it was that he made his own mists that killed plants. He did not change the way preservation's mists worked, rather introduced his own mist to get bad name to preservation's mists and form the darkness.
Also do note that, only his mind was trapped at the well of ascension. Not his entire power. I think it is fairly easy and staright forward to send forth his own mists to kill plants and smother life.

Ruin didn't effect the mists. What was left of Preservation did. 

The mist coming earlier, staying later, the mist sickness, all of it. It was Preservation responding to Ruin's growing strength. 

In book people were always frightened of the mists, so this seemed exceptionally frightening, and the rare deaths from the mist sickness made it much worse, but it was part of trying to fight Ruin. 

Edited by Calderis

28 minutes ago, Calderis said:

Ruin didn't effect the mists.

According to HoA chapter 81 epigraph:

Ruin, subtle as ever, knew that he couldn't stop the mists from doing their work. However, he could do the unexpected and encourage them. And so, he helped make them stronger. That brought death to the plants of the world, and created the threat that became known as the Deepness.

Ruin made the mists stronger.

39 minutes ago, Idealistic said:

Ruin made the mists stronger.

Huh, I'd totally forgotten that. 

Thanks. 

Edit: @Idealistic I now really want someone to ask Brandon about that epigraph. 

I searched all through the annotations and there's nothing on the mist that isn't about the mist sickness. And then searching WoBs I found this. 

http://www.theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=1012#11

ANDREW THE GREAT

Before the Ascension, why did the mists appear just as the Well was gaining power? Did they come out at other times?

BRANDON SANDERSON (PARAPHRASED)

This one is trickier. From what I got out of it, it's because the mists are a manifestaion of Preservation, and physical manifestations of Preservation (including Allomancers) are intended to do two things - stop Ruin, and protect the Well of Ascension. Which are kind of the same thing. So, when the Well was dormant, the mists didn't really have much to do. The Deepness form of the mists is a result of the conscious part of Preservation freaking out and trying to produce a way to protect the well, mostly by producing more Allomancers. That's why the mists do all the funky things in the Well of Ascension and Hero of Ages - they're trying to produce more Allomancers to combat Ruin.

So the only mention anywhere of Ruin effecting the mists is from that Epigraph. The Epigraph is from a particularly reliable source though. I want an answer now... 

Edited by Calderis

Yea, someone today point to me this epigraph and I was surprised when I saw it too, because I was sure that Ruin couldn't / shouldn't change Preservation Mists (I should add epigraph to OP).

And I couldnt find any info about that too heh.

29 minutes ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

It is worth noting that the person writing those epigraphs had been wrong before.

Considering he held both the power that created the mists, and the power he's saying influenced them, while having a naturally occurring understanding of their histories... Unless he had a reason to lie, I can't imagine them being wrong on this one. 

there's another WoB that Ruin only manifested physically through atium. So I don't think he added his own mist. My best guess is this. the prison was basically a constant force acting against Ruin, right. so Ruin basically stopped countering it in that way, and because he was still intelligent and the mists were not (they were just carrying out Leras dying wishes) they kept producing more and more without realizing Ruin wanted that. 

I'm not explaining well. Basically if what was left of Preservation was both countering Ruins actions and creating mist, by NOT acting against the mists Ruin could have effectively made them stronger as Preservation would have assumed Ruin would fight them.  withdrawing a counter force is the same as increasing that force. 

I don't think this is likely but its the only way I can think of that makes the epigraph make sense against the other things we know. 

• Chaos locked this topic