White Sand timeline question

Fatling

Question

I've been perplexed by this for some time and then it occured to me that maybe here was the right place to get an answer. There's plenty of White Sand spoilers here. 

So early in the book our good man Kenton overmasters where the Kerztians attack the sand masters. Then a while later while being attacked by another Kerztian he discovers, much to his alarm, that he has lost his sand mastery. Later on he regains his sand mastery. So I always assumed that he temporarily lost the ability to master sand as a consequence of overmastering. But then I discovered something really weird: Kenton masters sand once after he overmasters but before he regains his powers.

The scene occurs in the middle of chapter 3. Khriss asks Kenton how he knows where to travel and he says "magic!" while mastering a little bit of sand in his hand, then explains that he navigates by the position of the sun in the sky.

So... did he not lose his power when he overmastered? And if so, what other explanation is there for his losing his power? Hopefully someone has a good answer for this, because I've been thinking about it for a while and come to no conclusions

3 answers to this question

Is this in the Graphic Novel? Cause if this happened it's an error that causes significant problems, since the Graphic is the canon material. He should have failed all attempts at mastery until he regained the stronger ability with 3 ribbons. 

13 minutes ago, Calderis said:

Is this in the Graphic Novel? Cause if this happened it's an error that causes significant problems, since the Graphic is the canon material. He should have failed all attempts at mastery until he regained the stronger ability with 3 ribbons. 

Yeah that was exactly what I thought. And yes that's in the graphic novel. I'm really worried it's an error that the artists made for dramatic flair and then it slipped past the editors

I'm certain it's an error. There were a number of things that slipped past the people who made it, such as the accidental switch between Jon Acron and Cynder. (I may have messed up the names of Khriss's companions, it's been a while.) I am not a fan of the graphic novel adaptation.