Never lend a book, give it.

Macen

Hey guys, I was just thinking about this today and thought it would be a good topic. Does anyone else follow this sentiment? I love bringing new people to the books I love (Almost as much as I love reading them myself) and I have always told the people that I lend the book to that they can give it back if they want, but they shouldn't feel obligated to. If they like it enough they should pass it on to someone else.

depends on the book. most books are read once and then discarded. only a few special books I like enough that I reread them.

So, a book I didn't like, I wouldn't gift, because I only recommend good stuff.

A book I liked enough to reread, I wouldn't gift, because I may want to read it again. I would happily lend it to spread the knowledge.

A book I liked, but wouldn't reread, that's the kind of book I would gift.

I never lend a book and expect it to be returned, so it's always a gift. 

Books that I love are kept in my bedroom, to discourage "borrowing". Books that I can give away are often kept in the living room, where visitors can see, and they can borrow/take whatever they want. I always welcome this since it's hard to find space for them, and I would rather that they find a new home.

Sanderson is of course, bedroom-material. Ahm...that sounded kinda weird.

• 2 weeks later...

I follow this same philosophy. I've bought the Ender series probably 3 times, and Ender's game around 6 or 7. 100% worth it. Plenty of other books as well, including the Eye of the World a few times. Oh, and the Hobbit probably as many as Ender's Game. Considering the hours I log in those books, they have been well worth paying 10x their value. 

I follow this same philosophy. I've bought the Ender series probably 3 times, and Ender's game around 6 or 7. 100% worth it. Plenty of other books as well, including the Eye of the World a few times. Oh, and the Hobbit probably as many as Ender's Game. Considering the hours I log in those books, they have been well worth paying 10x their value. 

Enders game is the starter book I give to everyone who is thinking about getting into Sci-Fi/Fantasy. I have yet to meet someone who doesn't love it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I don't re-read many books, but I have been a bit of a hoarder when it comes to books. So I have bookshelves full of books only read once. Dumb.

I think I have finally changed my mind in that. But in this way: if I decide I want to re-read it, buy it the second time as an eBook.

• 1 month later...

I agree. Sometimes if it's a book you love a lot and you want to remember reading it, you'll keep it. It'll do a lot more good if it's spread to the hands of other people, though. Books sitting around on a dusty bookshelf will only take up space when they could be in the hands of a passionate bookworm who is loving them.

Eskridge

Hey, if I could, I'd buy a million copies of all my favorite books and hand them out to everyone I set eyes on. Unfortunately, I can barely afford to buy my own copies. I read about Sanderfans who are buying a third copy of Steelheart because there's a new cover and my mouth drops because I only just managed to squeeze together enough money for the one copy, which I treasure like gold itself! And though I'd love to lend the Mistborn books to everyone I know, I read them myself through lending from my sisters ex, so I can't.

But If I could, I'd definitely do the "give, not lend" policy (:

Call me selfish and/or untrustworthy, but I'll never "lend" a signed book unless the lendee appreciates the quality of the book just as much as I do.

Totally agree with you on this, Tamzin. I never lend a signed book. As much as possible I don't read it either. I just buy a mass market or trade paperback copy that I can read over and over. 

Hey, if I could, I'd buy a million copies of all my favorite books and hand them out to everyone I set eyes on. Unfortunately, I can barely afford to buy my own copies. I read about Sanderfans who are buying a third copy of Steelheart because there's a new cover and my mouth drops because I only just managed to squeeze together enough money for the one copy, which I treasure like gold itself! And though I'd love to lend the Mistborn books to everyone I know, I read them myself through lending from my sisters ex, so I can't.

But If I could, I'd definitely do the "give, not lend" policy (:

Don't worry, Atilium, time will come when you can afford to buy all the books you want. You just have to be patient. It also helps to let people know your favorite authors so that they give books to you as gifts. 

Don't worry, Atilium, time will come when you can afford to buy all the books you want. You just have to be patient. It also helps to let people know your favorite authors so that they give books to you as gifts. 

Thank you, that made my day :)

Hahaha, I'm dropping hints everywhere! xD