Magic Systems

Merrickz

1 hour ago, CarolaDavar said:

Yeah, I get how useful it is to use earth. Now that I think about it, my magical gloves story was in an alternate earth. Hmmm.. . ..

An evil hoodie?? That is just pure amazing. Hec, even if I knew it was evil I would probably wear it anyways just because of how cool that is.

Ah yes, the Anime. Sword art online is amazing, I have to admit. I rewatched it recently. Watching anime does spawn a lot of new creative eideas

That's the thing with the hoodie, his name is Alaska which was chosen because in his dimension they don't have names but images that describe them and his brings to mind Alaska, when you put him on you're no longer in control and are practically dead and the only way to get out of that alive is if he willingly lets himself off, so if he's forcibly taken off the person wearing him dies. Also it's not correct to call him evil. Just because he was an enemy of a past group doesn't mean he was a horrible person. He was so desperate to get back to his own dimension that he was putting our world in danger. By the time of the actual story he's given up any ideas of going home, but when he gets released he attaches himself to one of the monks from the complex and the head monk assumes the worst. He mostly does this just to explain himself and clear the air over his past. He willingly takes himself off and one of the Warriors finds a stray dog for him to possess (he makes the dog more anthro like and able to eat any human without getting sick and other humanizing things), since he wouldn't be hurting anyone. He would probably leave them once building up his strength but stays because he hooks up with one of the Warriors. I'm not sure how long into the story it would be before he would appear, but it's definitely sometime after the whole group is brought in but definitely before they go for their first battle against the villain, which will end with one of them being killed to protect the others since this is supposed to be serious to show that protecting the world doesn't make you invincible and that people die doing so.

Heck my first story, about a demon, was inspired by Devilman so I get good ideas from Japan.

6 minutes ago, Draginon said:

That's the thing with the hoodie, his name is Alaska which was chosen because in his dimension they don't have names but images that describe them and his brings to mind Alaska, when you put him on you're no longer in control and are practically dead and the only way to get out of that alive is if he willingly lets himself off, so if he's forcibly taken off the person wearing him dies. Also it's not correct to call him evil. Just because he was an enemy of a past group doesn't mean he was a horrible person. He was so desperate to get back to his own dimension that he was putting our world in danger. By the time of the actual story he's given up any ideas of going home, but when he gets released he attaches himself to one of the monks from the complex and the head monk assumes the worst. He mostly does this just to explain himself and clear the air over his past. He willingly takes himself off and one of the Warriors finds a stray dog for him to possess (he makes the dog more anthro like and able to eat any human without getting sick and other humanizing things), since he wouldn't be hurting anyone. He would probably leave them once building up his strength but stays because he hooks up with one of the Warriors. I'm not sure how long into the story it would be before he would appear, but it's definitely sometime after the whole group is brought in but definitely before they go for their first battle against the villain, which will end with one of them being killed to protect the others since this is supposed to be serious to show that protecting the world doesn't make you invincible and that people die doing so.

Heck my first story, about a demon, was inspired by Devilman so I get good ideas from Japan.

Wow. That is the most original idea I have ever seen. Magical hoodie. Good job

Japan is great. Pokèmon, Anime, (I think Studio Ghibli was from there too, if I recall correctly)

Wow. That is the most original idea I have ever seen. Magical hoodie. Good job

Japan is great. Pokèmon, Anime, (I think Studio Ghibli was from there too, if I recall correctly)

I was inspired by a picture I had seen of an anthro dog wearing a hoodie around the time I thought of the story and it fit with the story so I threw it in. It's a misnomer to call him a magic hoodie since he's a living person stuck in the form of one and his thing isn't quite magical so much as his dimension having different rules mixing with ours in weird ways, a formless being having to take a form just to live for example.

Yes, Ghibli is Japanese and simply the best studio out there. Even their tokusatsu is fun to watch.

11 hours ago, Draginon said:

I was inspired by a picture I had seen of an anthro dog wearing a hoodie around the time I thought of the story and it fit with the story so I threw it in. It's a misnomer to call him a magic hoodie since he's a living person stuck in the form of one and his thing isn't quite magical so much as his dimension having different rules mixing with ours in weird ways, a formless being having to take a form just to live for example.

Yes, Ghibli is Japanese and simply the best studio out there. Even their tokusatsu is fun to watch.

Wow. Thats an amazing way to describe it. I wonder what it would feel like to be a hoodie. . .

I love Studio Ghibli movies so much. Ponyo, Spirited Away, Howl's moving Castle  they are all just amazing.

2 hours ago, CarolaDavar said:

Wow. Thats an amazing way to describe it. I wonder what it would feel like to be a hoodie. . .

I love Studio Ghibli movies so much. Ponyo, Spirited Away, Howl's moving Castle  they are all just amazing.

Probably not that different for him since he can't move or do anything except think until he's worn so when he is worn the sensations of having a body are a little overwhelming. Heck when he goes for the dog, because it's a starving stray he can't handle the hunger and immediately starts gorging himself to get rid of that pain.

They have great films, though it's sad that when Miyazaki retired a couple years back they decided to go on a hiatus. But apparently production is back on because he's apparently coming back out of retirement, he tried retiring before but postponed to make a couple more, to do a new film. But it's sad how Miyazaki and his son's relationship is pretty strained, especially after Earthsea since Miyazaki had wanted to direct it since the 80's but Suzuki wanted his son to direct it while Le Guin was under the impression that the son would direct with the father supervising. Heck Miyazaki publicly opposed his son directing, mostly because his son had no experience directing a movie. How did he expect his son to get the experience anyway?

6 hours ago, Draginon said:

Probably not that different for him since he can't move or do anything except think until he's worn so when he is worn the sensations of having a body are a little overwhelming. Heck when he goes for the dog, because it's a starving stray he can't handle the hunger and immediately starts gorging himself to get rid of that pain.

They have great films, though it's sad that when Miyazaki retired a couple years back they decided to go on a hiatus. But apparently production is back on because he's apparently coming back out of retirement, he tried retiring before but postponed to make a couple more, to do a new film. But it's sad how Miyazaki and his son's relationship is pretty strained, especially after Earthsea since Miyazaki had wanted to direct it since the 80's but Suzuki wanted his son to direct it while Le Guin was under the impression that the son would direct with the father supervising. Heck Miyazaki publicly opposed his son directing, mostly because his son had no experience directing a movie. How did he expect his son to get the experience anyway?

I heard about that. It is definitely interesting. I still need to finish watching all the Ghibli movies already out before I worry about any new ones though

I heard about that. It is definitely interesting. I still need to finish watching all the Ghibli movies already out before I worry about any new ones though

I haven't seen all of them either. Still need to see Grave of the Fireflies, My Neighbors the Yamadas, Only Yesterday and When Marnie Was There. Any film you didn't like that much? For me it was Porco Rosso. It just felt dull and slow along with uninteresting characters.

Do you feel like we're taking over this thread?

I can try to help make it otherwise. I came up with nine different worlds with different magic systems for each one, but before I post that I have a question for @CarolaDavar.

Is one's voice an instrument that can be used? If so, wouldn't almost every magic user want to master it, seeing as it'd be an almost limitlessly versatile and almost always accessible instrument available at a moment's whim with no need to lug around an external instrument?

Edited by ShadowLord_Lith

12 hours ago, ShadowLord_Lith said:

I can try to help make it otherwise. I came up with nine different worlds with different magic systems for each one, but before I post that I have a question for @CarolaDavar.

Is one's voice an instrument that can be used? If so, wouldn't almost every magic user want to master it, seeing as it'd be an almost limitlessly versatile and almost always accessible instrument available at a moment's whim with no need to lug around an external instrument?

Any reason you quoted me?

On 8/5/2017 at 8:44 PM, ShadowLord_Lith said:

Voice can be used, but it is only magical for certain people/magic users I believe. That is one of those details that one of my siblings remembers better than I do. I think this would go along with this though: some musicians can sing as well as play, but some musicians couldn't sing to save their life

On 8/5/2017 at 8:17 PM, Draginon said:

I haven't seen all of them either. Still need to see Grave of the Fireflies, My Neighbors the Yamadas, Only Yesterday and When Marnie Was There. Any film you didn't like that much? For me it was Porco Rosso. It just felt dull and slow along with uninteresting characters.

Do you feel like we're taking over this thread?

I actually haven't seen that many. So far I haven't seen any I didn't like.

And yeah, I think we totally just high-jacked this thread

I actually haven't seen that many. So far I haven't seen any I didn't like.

And yeah, I think we totally just high-jacked this thread

Which have you seen?

We pulled a Sanderson, the thread was going one direction only for a twist to pop up!

Watched a video on the messed up world of dog breeding and thought of a new magic system. What if dogs gave off magical effects and their breed determines the effect? Like a Saint Bernard would keep you warm, dalmatians can provide water (like you have an empty bucket to throw on a fire and it's magically full when thrown) and dashunds (the wiener dog) keeps you from going hungry. In this system breeding is done more for the strength of the magic than for looks but the whole thing would still have the same negative effects in real life where they provide better magic but at the health of the poor dog itself.

17 hours ago, Draginon said:

Which have you seen?

We pulled a Sanderson, the thread was going one direction only for a twist to pop up!

I have seen Howl's Moving Castle, Ponyo, and Spirited Away(I think I have seen others, but it was so long ago I don't remember)

Ah yes, the plot twist

12 minutes ago, CarolaDavar said:

I have seen Howl's Moving Castle, Ponyo, and Spirited Away(I think I have seen others, but it was so long ago I don't remember)

Ah yes, the plot twist

Yes, you've watched some of the good ones! Others I would recommend are Totoro (such a cute film that's just about what it's like being a child), Nausicaä (a great environmentalist story without feeling preachy), Kiki's Delivery Service (a great coming of age story), The Wind Rises (its historical but is actually not boring like most historicals are) and Princess Kaguya (mostly for the art style used since it's like a Japanese painting that's moving to tell the story)

At least it wasn't a Shamalyann plot twist, that would've been major disappointment.

What do you think of my dog magic system posted above?

3 minutes ago, Draginon said:

Yes, you've watched some of the good ones! Others I would recommend are Totoro (such a cute film that's just about what it's like being a child), Nausicaä (a great environmentalist story without feeling preachy), Kiki's Delivery Service (a great coming of age story), The Wind Rises (its historical but is actually not boring like most historicals are) and Princess Kaguya (mostly for the art style used since it's like a Japanese painting that's moving to tell the story)

At least it wasn't a Shamalyann plot twist, that would've been major disappointment.

What do you think of my dog magic system posted above?

All of the ones you just mentioned are ones I want to watch.

The dog magic system is amszing. Fantastic idea you have here. I haven't seen anything quite like it before

All of the ones you just mentioned are ones I want to watch.

The dog magic system is amszing. Fantastic idea you have here. I haven't seen anything quite like it before

They do have a couple that I'm not sure if I'd recommend like Pom Poko. That ones done like a documentary.

I'm wondering if it should be complimented with a secondary system involving cats, but done where people are trying to breed the magic out. I am thinking if I do a story for this system to have it be a 'boy and his dog' type of story.

2 hours ago, Draginon said:

They do have a couple that I'm not sure if I'd recommend like Pom Poko. That ones done like a documentary.

I'm wondering if it should be complimented with a secondary system involving cats, but done where people are trying to breed the magic out. I am thinking if I do a story for this system to have it be a 'boy and his dog' type of story.

Just don't let the dog die please. Even before I read Alcatraz i thought it was an overused idea.

I do think a secondary cat system woil d go pretty well with and complement the dog system as long as you do it correctly

3 hours ago, CarolaDavar said:

Just don't let the dog die please. Even before I read Alcatraz i thought it was an overused idea.

I do think a secondary cat system woil d go pretty well with and complement the dog system as long as you do it correctly

I'm not that kind of writer. But who knows, it might be a boy and a cat so that it's an underdog story. If I went with that route then there might be lots of dead dogs by the end *evil laugh*

It would also be a question of what effects the cats would give off to make people want to breed the magic out of them. Like would it be incredibly dangerous magic or magic that's stronger than a dog's and because cats are incredibly independent they are less controllable to use safely.

I have a story in which the main characters are part of a modern secret society of oracles and prophets, and the thing is they're trying todamage control all the prophecies they say by making them harmless. like naming a pig "your father" if your prophesied to kill your father, then having you kill the pig. the organizations name? Global Oracular Organization for Good Lives and Endings (Google). They know quite a lot from prophecies - see your search bar for proof

I'm currently working on a story where certain characters have the ability to control time. They can reverse, freeze, or speed up time. On non living objects they can move the object through time, but on living objects the soul interferes so they can only effect the age of the object. There is a cost of using this power. If they reverse time on an object then that object will become younger, but will lose the time that was reversed from its life. If time if sped up then the opposite happens. They become older, but gain time onto their life.

Freezing doesn't have an effect like that, but is fun when applied to humans, and animals. Since this effects how they age, during the period that they are frozen they would be immortal. Of course using this magic takes concentration, and the most powerful can only effect time about six hours in either direction. But I wonder what would happen if someone found a way to make the time freezing permanent... 

22 hours ago, Wordsmith said:

There is a cost of using this power. If they reverse time on an object then that object will become younger, but will lose the time that was reversed from its life. If time if sped up then the opposite happens. They become older, but gain time onto their life.

I don't follow this, could you clarify what you mean?

12 minutes ago, Lindel said:

I don't follow this, could you clarify what you mean?

I thought that might be badly worded.

I'll use an example to explain it. So say that you got a paper cut five minutes ago. If you were to use this magic system to reverse time back to before those five minutes your body would go back to that state before then, but those five minutes would be subtracted from the end of your life.

With speeding up time then the body would become older by five minutes, but you would gain five minutes on to your life.

I hope that this makes a bit more sense.

Practitioners use a kind of parasite that gives access to the three powers of the world.  I'm panning on adding three more but i think there's some potential for  really intriguing story(s) with this magic system.

The powers are

1. Telepathy:  They can read anyones mind for as long as they maintain eye contact.

2. Teleportation:  They can teleport three times per day and only to a location that they've previously visited.  They also have to be in complete darkness to do so, many wear large capes that they can hide under to teleport.

3. Telekinesis:  They can move nonliving objects at will as long as they can see them but they are unable to move while doing so.