Books, Movies and Show You Did Not Like

Draginon

Pretty much this is where you can talk about any form of entertainment that you did not enjoy once you had finished watching/reading it.

The latest one for me was Divergent. The premise sounded interesting but Tris just did not gel with me at all. Reading her thoughts wasn't really that enjoyable and she did not hit the good notes that made Katniss great to read. The only good thing was when Four appeared since he was a great character.

This one might be controversial but I did not enjoy watching Firefly at all. It bored me more than anything by the end of it. Yes I watched it in the actual order. The characters were either unlikeable, dull or made me question why I was supposed to be routing for them. Sadly the only character that was likeable was the companion, I forget these guys names, because she was the only one who wasn't horrible or dull to watch. I did get the movie afterwards to see how it ended and maybe have something good come out of this show and felt the same. This is coming from someone who enjoys watching Whedon's stuff so that tells something was bad about this show.

Also didn't enjoy Galavant when it was on. It was dumb and the jokes fell flat. The first season was too bad for me to even try looking at the second season.

Transformers. I only saw the first film and that was enough to swear me off the films. I liked the designs of the Autobots and Decepticons but everything else was garbage. Give me the cartoons any day.

I'm not even going to comment on the universally agreed Eragon film (enjoyed the first two books but was getting sick of the heros attitude during the third. The other characters kept me going to the fourth), Last Airbender (sadly I saw this in 3D) and the Percy Jackson films.

Wait. How can Galavant fall flat? That show was ace. The adult humor in that show rivals Archer but with song.

Your right though you prob will be in the minority not liking Firefly lol!

i ll def agree about Last Airbender. He tanked that from the great toon material with his dumb changes. I guarantee if he hadn't been so bullheaded all the Books would have made live action easy. How dare he make fire benders have to have actual fire in order to Bend! That pronunciation of Aang...painful.

31 minutes ago, Briar King said:

i ll def agree about Last Airbender. He tanked that from the great toon material with his dumb changes. I guarantee if he hadn't been so bullheaded all the Books would have made live action easy. How dare he make fire benders have to have actual fire in order to Bend! That pronunciation of Aang...painful.

I feel. That pronunciation made me think they were talking about my family or something (that's our last name). And I just love how earthbenders do a bunch of supposedly-synchronized-but-not-really-synchronized punching moves and they get ta-da! An awesome wall of dirt! (Hope you can sense the sarcasm.)

I thought Ella Enchanted was extremely disappointing as well. Followed about 8% of the actual story. I wish I could give it ten, but...I just can't. Yep, Eragon and Percy Jackson are all on that list. I mean seriously? Introducing Kronos in the second movie? That's a big no-no.

It just makes you wonder what he was thinking or if anyone on staff even bothered to say "hey wait that's not what his name is & fire benders don't have to have flames to bend." He even says in interviews he wanted to make this cause he had such a great time watching the toon with his kid. So was he lying about that? I know the creators were furious and couldn't do a thing about it sadly. Waste of everyone's time including M Nights, he could have made serious bank if he stuck to the proper things in the yrs that followed.

11 hours ago, Briar King said:

Wait. How can Galavant fall flat? That show was ace. The adult humor in that show rivals Archer but with song.

Your right though you prob will be in the minority not liking Firefly lol!

Which was weird since I normally like stuff similar to Galavant but it just didn't do it for me for some reason. I didn't really crack a smile or had a quirk at the corner of my mouth.

11 hours ago, ryshadium90 said:

I feel. That pronunciation made me think they were talking about my family or something (that's our last name). And I just love how earthbenders do a bunch of supposedly-synchronized-but-not-really-synchronized punching moves and they get ta-da! An awesome wall of dirt! (Hope you can sense the sarcasm.)

I thought Ella Enchanted was extremely disappointing as well. Followed about 8% of the actual story. I wish I could give it ten, but...I just can't. Yep, Eragon and Percy Jackson are all on that list. I mean seriously? Introducing Kronos in the second movie? That's a big no-no.

The pronunciations were so horrid that I kept mentally correcting it when I watched it. I really didn't like how all the good guys were white but all the villains were Indian. I understand having the nations being represented as different races by having the Fire Nation being Indian, Earth Kingdom supposedly being Blacks (M. Night had mentioned if Book 2 was made that the Earth Kingdom would be majorly Black) and the Water Tribes being White I guess? Now if he had went more having thought it out better then it maybe would've worked, but this guy is famous for not having anyone edit his scripts for him.

10 hours ago, Briar King said:

It just makes you wonder what he was thinking or if anyone on staff even bothered to say "hey wait that's not what his name is & fire benders don't have to have flames to bend." He even says in interviews he wanted to make this cause he had such a great time watching the toon with his kid. So was he lying about that? I know the creators were furious and couldn't do a thing about it sadly. Waste of everyone's time including M Nights, he could have made serious bank if he stuck to the proper things in the yrs that followed.

It makes you wonder if he misunderstood the point of the show or thought he could 'improve' it (like how water, earth and airbenders actually need their elements present but firebenders didn't I guess). Maybe if he didn't try to cram 22 episodes into 1 hour and a half film... I tend to think on this film that it had a twist.. That he could take a good story and ruin it.

I enjoyed Firefly the one time I watched it, but it isn't that good. I would posit that there are more to its cancellation than timeslot changes. And I never liked the opening theme.

The movie was much better... but too little too late. 

I find the Harry Potter movies to be nearly insufferable. 

Star Wars The Force Awakens was just merely competent. 

Agents of Shield is just terrible. 

The following are the popular books that I do not like:

1. Last Argument of Kings by Joe Abercrombie - To me, it looked as if the author took every good character, flipped them to show their bad side. I didn't like it. Nor has the passage of time changed my opinion.

2. Night of Knives - I slogged my way through this book. Even though it is short, still it was painful to read. Things might change after a re-read though.

3. Literally every self-help book ever made (except the ones for students by Cal Newport, those are good). And this includes pop-psychology books. They usually have a basic idea which is no more than a couple of paragraphs long, and they stretch it like a rubber band. Three quarters of these books are filled with fillers like some X person's experience, and how this 'revolutionary' idea changed them.

4. The Fires of Heaven -  I cannot handle more "Men have low intelligence.", 'braid tugging', 'different ways in which...something sways', and 'men are just so dumb, I want to box his ears'...and so on. Yes, I like some female characters e.g. Lanfear (my fav. to be honest), Min, Elayne. And some men are indeed idiots. But there is a limit to all this complaining and braid-tugging. Just give me more of Lanfear and Mat. 

These are the popular shows that I do not like:

1.  Friends - Its episodes range from mild amusement to complete nonsense. I just cannot handle Phoebe. Rachel is my limit. Ross is irritating. I just cannot imagine how someone says their favourite character is Joey. He is just so lascivious and is very non-serious about his life (a fact explained by his debts to Chandler). Also, real friends are definitely not like that. My main problem with these shows is that in order to provide humour, they sacrifice the intelligence of their characters just too much.

2. How I Met Your Mother - It has the same problems that Friends has, the only difference being that it is a much dumber version of the above.

3. Superhero shows esp. Flash and Archer. They started with great premise, and then get bogged down so much. I have a particular problem with Flash. You are basically explaining magic with sci-fi terms. But at least do some research and come up with some mechanism. They just bring new scientific terms (getting longer with each new enemy) to explain something otherworldly.

54 minutes ago, Hood said:

4. The Fires of Heaven -  I cannot handle more "Men have low intelligence.", 'braid tugging', 'different ways in which...something sways', and 'men are just so dumb, I want to box his ears'...and so on. Yes, I like some female characters e.g. Lanfear (my fav. to be honest), Min, Elayne. And some men are indeed idiots. But there is a limit to all this complaining and braid-tugging. Just give me more of Lanfear and Mat.

The books did get a little tiring with the whole gender politics thing, but since it was equal across the board I ignored it and found it funny at times. But that series has bigger problems than the gender politics going on.

15 hours ago, ryshadium90 said:

I've gotten to a place where I can almost just feel slight amusement when I think of the Last Airbender movie. Almost. Mostly I just re-watch the show and attempt to forget about the movie. The Honest Trailer also helps it become a joke instead of a source of great woe. 

The Percy Jackson movies... Ugh. 

Here's one where overall I did enjoy the series but was kind of let down in the end. Dorothy Must Die is a pretty good dystopian fantasy story but End of Oz was bogged down with too much romance that stopped the plot every time and the ending was a little ruined for me because the Barnes & Noble edition comes with an additional epilogue that completely undoes everything Amy worked to achieve by making it where Dorothy never came to Oz and thus the wicked witches are never killed and other nonsense things. I liked the books but I just hope it doesn't continue at this point since its starting to get into Fast & Furious and Transformers territory for me.

11 hours ago, Orlion On a Cob said:

I enjoyed Firefly the one time I watched it, but it isn't that good. I would posit that there are more to its cancellation than timeslot changes. And I never liked the opening theme.

I'll defend the show to the death, but i have to admit that the opening song does nothing for me.

12 hours ago, Orlion On a Cob said:

I find the Harry Potter movies to be nearly insufferable.

Can't speak to the movies, as I haven't seen most of them, but honestly, that might be the single most overrated book series in existence.  It was alright, and notciceably improved as it went on, but I cannot, for the life of me, understand the devotion of its fanbase

12 hours ago, Orlion On a Cob said:

Star Wars The Force Awakens was just merely competent. 

TFA was alright, but the argument that it was essentially a shot for shot rehash of A New Hope is dead on.  I liked it well enough, even so, but I'm hoping they get a bit mroe creative for the next one.

9 hours ago, Draginon said:

The books did get a little tiring with the whole gender politics thing, but since it was equal across the board I ignored it and found it funny at times. But that series has bigger problems than the gender politics going on.

I still like WoT overall, but there were definitely some things going on that don't work for me.  the gender stuff is high on the list, especially since he did do some interesting things with it, minimally (like the differences between how you would accomplish certain tasks using saidar vs saidin).

The biggest one for me that hasn't already been mentioned: Redwall.  probably because I didn't read them as a kid, when I tried reading one as an adult, I found them to be just downright boring

On 7/19/2017 at 9:05 PM, Draginon said:

The latest one for me was Divergent. The premise sounded interesting but Tris just did not gel with me at all. Reading her thoughts wasn't really that enjoyable and she did not hit the good notes that made Katniss great to read. The only good thing was when Four appeared since he was a great character.

Yep, same for me. I thought the first book was interesting, introducing the whole dystopian theme, but the whole thing got progressively worse very quickly. I barely finished Insurgent and never even started Allegient.

Same thing with the Mortal Instruments. I only got about 2.5 books through. I was just tired of the constant drama and not enough action. There wasn't enough feeling that made you feel for the characters and not that great of a story line. Just one that stretched on and on and on.

I didn't think Hunger Games was all that great either, and kind of got worse as the series progressed too, but it at least had more better parts than the first two I mentioned. 

33 minutes ago, ryshadium90 said:

Yep, same for me. I thought the first book was interesting, introducing the whole dystopian theme, but the whole thing got progressively worse very quickly. I barely finished Insurgent and never even started Allegient.

Same thing with the Mortal Instruments. I only got about 2.5 books through. I was just tired of the constant drama and not enough action. There wasn't enough feeling that made you feel for the characters and not that great of a story line. Just one that stretched on and on and on.

I didn't think Hunger Games was all that great either, and kind of got worse as the series progressed too, but it at least had more better parts than the first two I mentioned. 

Yeah, it's like unless you have an interesting protagonist then don't even bother. I mean Four's backstory with his father was more interesting than Tris having to deal with a friend, turned 'enemy' committing suicide or her becoming, literally, too big for her pants.

I do kind of want to read the books Mortal Instruments is set in since I like magical mundane.

I do agree that the sequels were weaker than the first, who wants to read a love triangle that's not really there? The ending was a bit lame but that's the best to hope for I guess. To be frank dystopian fiction isn't really a genre I enjoy reading so it says something that I liked Hunger Games.

After getting some pictures of my library for another thread I noticed one book that disappointed me when I read it at the time. Inkdeath. I'm not sure if it was more the translation being a problem or how stories in Germany are done but I didn't enjoy it as much as the first two books, especially when they barely read any characters out when the whole thing about Meggie and Mo is that they can read characters out of their books. It was like Mrs Funke forgot what story she was writing.

I did not like Blade Runner much. It was not outright bad, but... it wasn't very good either. 

The Harry Potter movies are not very good (except for number 3). The books are MUCH better. 

Eragon movie is very bad. So is the Inkheart movie. Percy Jackson was kind of fun though, but books are WAY better.

First Divergent book was alright, but the only character I enjoyed died at the end, so I didn't read the rest of the series. 

Transformer Movies. I think I have only given two of them a try, but the entire movie is just explosions and running away. The action scenes just get really boring after awhile. On the same note I have seen several movies of a director that is the opposite of Michael Bay and his name is Sergio Leone. Leone spends a rediculous amount of time building up to violence and it is over within 5 seconds. 

Game of thrones, both the series an the books, I don't think they are nearly as good as people say.I didn't care for any of the character(with the exception of Jaime and maybe Jon) and found many of them extremely boring or insufrible, and all Dorne subplot was horrible in my opinion.

The three body problem, I couldn't even finish it.

2 hours ago, Ammanas said:

Transformer Movies. I think I have only given two of them a try, but the entire movie is just explosions and running away. The action scenes just get really boring after awhile. On the same note I have seen several movies of a director that is the opposite of Michael Bay and his name is Sergio Leone. Leone spends a rediculous amount of time building up to violence and it is over within 5 seconds. 

I agree so much with that. I saw the first one and regretted buying the DVD afterwards. It's like everything Bay touches turns to pyrite.

Allegiant was literally the worst book I've ever read.  I really liked Divergent so that hurt my heart quite a bit.

Allegiant Spoiler: (Though really if you haven't read the book you shouldn't bother anyway)

Spoiler

If you're going to kill off a main character, at least let it be for a decent reason, not just because that character was stupid. Like, her death did nothing good for the plot, theme, or anything about the story really.

I do like Harry Potter, but not as much as everyone else seems to.

Other than that, the Avatar, Percy Jackson, and Eragon movies are so obvious I probably don't need to say anything. Though I didn't think the Eragon books were that great in the first place.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/21/2017 at 10:46 PM, Taliax said:

Allegiant was literally the worst book I've ever read.  I really liked Divergent so that hurt my heart quite a bit.

Allegiant Spoiler: (Though really if you haven't read the book you shouldn't bother anyway)

Reveal hidden contents

If you're going to kill off a main character, at least let it be for a decent reason, not just because that character was stupid. Like, her death did nothing good for the plot, theme, or anything about the story really.

I do like Harry Potter, but not as much as everyone else seems to.

Other than that, the Avatar, Percy Jackson, and Eragon movies are so obvious I probably don't need to say anything. Though I didn't think the Eragon books were that great in the first place.

I agree with your Avatar, Percy Jackson, and Eragon assessments.  I love the Avatar TV series, and the Percy Jackson books are great.  The movies?  Just about the worst thing I've ever seen on TV. 

Unpopular oppinion warning!

A few books I actually never really enjoyed

Harry Potter - I think it was because so many people loved it I expected it to be fantastic but then when it was just good, it went below expectations and to me just turned to me not enjoying it.

Hunger Games - first of all the premise of it scares me. Second I just. . . It has the same problem as Harry Potter for me. It was over rated.

Maze Runner - I feel like it is a trend for me to dislike books that so many people like and it is for the same reason. If someone tells me a boOk is terrible or just okay, then if it happens to be just above that, I will love it, but something that is great , that is given the expectation to be fastastic, just really can't for me.

Movies:

Avatar (which has already been discussed here)

Percy Jackson movies(loved the books hated the movies)

And, Eragon(seriously, just make it into a TV show to make it accurate)

4 hours ago, CarolaDavar said:

Harry Potter - I think it was because so many people loved it I expected it to be fantastic but then when it was just good, it went below expectations and to me just turned to me not enjoying it.

I wouldn't even go so far as to say good.  Maybe the later books, but early on it is, at best, ok.

I know lot of people love this series, but I didn't like WoT that much. The first two books were alright, but by the third or fourth book they were getting a bit slow and I didn't like the way things were going. I didn't get past there though, so probably one day I'll try again. 

8 minutes ago, Sami said:

I know lot of people love this series, but I didn't like WoT that much. The first two books were alright, but by the third or fourth book they were getting a bit slow and I didn't like the way things were going. I didn't get past there though, so probably one day I'll try again. 

huh.  I can understand not liking the later books, but I honestly thought the third was one of the best in the series.  I actually don't like the first 2 very much.