Feruchemy?

Lord Bookwyrm

Question

OK, so I've always wondered, is feruchemy an on/off switch or a button you have to keep on pressing? By that I mean do you have to always conciously store and when you stop paying attention, you stop tapping/storing, or is it that you have to make the decision to start storing/tapping, then until you make the decision to stop storing/tapping, you just keep on doing it?

13 answers to this question

2 minutes ago, FiveLate said:

Actually storing wakefulness makes you sleepy, it does not put you to sleep.  If you fell asleep you would stop storing, and probably immediately wake up.

No, wakefulness is the only trait that can be stored while sleeping. It's in the books. 

@FiveLate here's the coppermind entry for Bronze. 

Feruchemical Use[edit]

Bronze_%28Feruchemy%29.svg

The Feruchemical symbol for bronze

A bronze Ferring is known as a Sentry. Bronze is used to store wakefulness. It allows the Feruchemist to stay awake for extended periods of time, or to heighten awareness. A Feruchemist filling a bronzemind becomes drowsy.[2] It is the only type of metalmind a Feruchemist can store into while sleeping.[

The citation for the last bit is HoA ch. 50.

It comes from Sazed, who being a full feruchemist, I'll trust over Khriss and the Ars Arcanum. 

Just now, FiveLate said:

I would to if he was even in HoA chapter 50.  I checked that citation already.  That chapter is the one where Vin drinks the wine and gets knocked unconscious to get out of the storage cavern.

I know I read this in book and I don't have my copies to check... This is seriously going to bother me. 

Agreed. They aren't flinging spells or chanting aryas, they're utilizing a natural function of their physiology. Sometimes it's a conscious effort, like when someone takes a big breath before diving under water, other times it's reflexive, like when someone jumps back when startled.

It requires a conscious decision to begin and stop the storage of various attributes with the possible exception of wakefulness as mentioned above which will continue even after one has fallen asleep. Things such as vision etc... do require you to desire the attribute to be stored. Tapping also requires a conscious decision though once you start tapping you must mentally put a "stop" on it or run out of attribute to use.

On ‎2017‎년 ‎7‎월 ‎19‎일 at 9:09 PM, Oversleep said:

I assume it's similar to burning metals - while starting or stopping is conscious decision, the process (storing/tapping or burning) is instinctive and natural to the user.

Actually, feruchemy isn't instinctive, it has to be taught. This is why Tindwyl could only use copperminds when she was used as a breeding machine, as she hadn't been taught to use anything else. I might not be remembering correctly though.

Edited by Lord Bookworm