Future Writer Fan

Draginon

Hi, I've been a lurker for a while and finally decided to make an account.

I only started reading Mr. Sanderson's books last year but I've owned one for longer than that, the book being The Way of Kings. It took me a while to get around because I spent a long while reading the Wheel of Time, I know Brandon wrote the last three but I'm not sure whether they should count or not, along with not actually having his other books.

As you can tell from the title I'm also an aspiring writer and my username is the name of the main character from my main fantasy story I'm writing.

Hope to enjoy my time here!

@Draginon Hey, welcome to the Shard! Have an upvote and a free spiked delicious cookie!

Spoiler

cookie.jpg

DISCLAIMER: Side effects include, but are not limited to, hearing voices, gaining supernatural powers, having the sudden urge to kill everyone, and completely losing control over your mind and body. The Dark Alley™ claims no liability for any damage done to/by the eater of this cookie.

Have you read the sequel to The Way of Kings? Have you read any of Brandon's other books? Do you know about the Cosmere?

If you've only read WoK, then I'd suggest reading some of Brandon's other books before continuing on to Words of Radiance, because there are lots of Cosmere hints in it. If you didn't know, all of Brandon's fantasy books are all set in the same universe on different planets. I'd recommend reading Mistborn first because that one is really good. It's split into two sets of three books, the first trilogy being set during a more traditional fantasy era, while the second three (and there's a fourth coming out next year) are set in an industrial revolution era. That's all in the same world as well.

After Mistborn, I'd suggest reading Elantris and Warbreaker. Both have some minor hints in the Stormlight Archive, so it's always fun to see those when you read through the Stormlight books. 

If you've already finished WoR, I'd recommend reading the rest of the Cosmere books, then go back and reread the Stormlight Archive so you can catch all the little hints.

Anyway, welcome again, and have fun!

31 minutes ago, StrikerEZ said:

@Draginon Hey, welcome to the Shard! Have an upvote and a free spiked delicious cookie!

Reveal hidden contents

cookie.jpg

DISCLAIMER: Side effects include, but are not limited to, hearing voices, gaining supernatural powers, having the sudden urge to kill everyone, and completely losing control over your mind and body. The Dark Alley™ claims no liability for any damage done to/by the eater of this cookie.

Have you read the sequel to The Way of Kings? Have you read any of Brandon's other books? Do you know about the Cosmere?

If you've only read WoK, then I'd suggest reading some of Brandon's other books before continuing on to Words of Radiance, because there are lots of Cosmere hints in it. If you didn't know, all of Brandon's fantasy books are all set in the same universe on different planets. I'd recommend reading Mistborn first because that one is really good. It's split into two sets of three books, the first trilogy being set during a more traditional fantasy era, while the second three (and there's a fourth coming out next year) are set in an industrial revolution era. That's all in the same world as well.

After Mistborn, I'd suggest reading Elantris and Warbreaker. Both have some minor hints in the Stormlight Archive, so it's always fun to see those when you read through the Stormlight books. 

If you've already finished WoR, I'd recommend reading the rest of the Cosmere books, then go back and reread the Stormlight Archive so you can catch all the little hints.

Repeat what he said....

Also, welcome! If you need help navigating, ask anyone but me! :lol:

2 hours ago, StrikerEZ said:

Reveal hidden contents

cookie.jpg

I haven't yet read The Way of Kings, shocking I know, since I got distracted by other books like the rest of WOT, the Percy Jackson sequel series, Lunar Chronicles and other stories. So far I've only read Elantris, White Sand 1 and Alcatraz 1. I have all the books (minus short stories since I don't feel like collecting the things their in just for one story) except for W&W (wanna read Era 1 before grabbing them), Dark Talent, Words of Radiance, Steelheart and Firefight (I have Calamity on account of Black Friday having a sale on signed editions). I'm going pretty much in release order so my next read is going to be Mistborn: The Final Empire.

And yes, I know about the Cosmere.

55 minutes ago, Shqueeves said:

WELCOME! It'd be a smart decision to decline the cookie offered by StrikerEZ. They tend to Ruin appetites. 

Let me make an educated guess here: Cookies are offered by the dark side, libraries sometimes give out cookies, there's a series about evil librarians... StrikerEZ is an EVIL LIBRARIAN!

27 minutes ago, Draginon said:

Let me make an educated guess here: Cookies are offered by the dark side, libraries sometimes give out cookies, there's a series about evil librarians... StrikerEZ is an EVIL LIBRARIAN!

Close. They're offered by the Dark Alley. He may or may not be an evil librarian. 

Welcome to the Shard! Our goals in the Dark Alley are somewhat aligned with those of the Evil Librarians (especially the Scrivener's Bones). So, some of us DA agents work as part time librarians (it's good for research). 

Oh! I almost forgot! Here, have an upvote! :D

Edited by Zennix

2 hours ago, Draginon said:

I haven't yet read The Way of Kings, shocking I know, since I got distracted by other books like the rest of WOT, the Percy Jackson sequel series, Lunar Chronicles and other stories. So far I've only read Elantris, White Sand 1 and Alcatraz 1. I have all the books (minus short stories since I don't feel like collecting the things their in just for one story) except for W&W (wanna read Era 1 before grabbing them), Dark Talent, Words of Radiance, Steelheart and Firefight (I have Calamity on account of Black Friday having a sale on signed editions). I'm going pretty much in release order so my next read is going to be Mistborn: The Final Empire.

Oh, that's good! You should start Mistborn as soon a second possible! It's sooooo good!

Well...it's a joke from Mistborn...kinda. You'll understand once you read it lol.

Also, I haven't read Alcatraz still.

1 hour ago, Shqueeves said:

Close. They're offered by the Dark Alley. He may or may not be an evil librarian. 

:ph34r:

Check out Arcanum Unbounded. It's all the short stories in the Cosmere. Came out last November. So you don't have to go get them somewhere else. Although I do recommend the Dangerous Women and Rogues compilations as both being quite good. 

Also, welcome! Here's a bunch of upvotes. 

Edited by AngelEy3

2 hours ago, AngelEy3 said:

Check out Arcanum Unbounded. It's all the short stories in the Cosmere. Came out last November. So you don't have to go get them somewhere else. Although I do recommend the Dangerous Women and Rogues compilations as both being quite good. 

Also, welcome! Here's a bunch of upvotes. 

When I was talking about the shorts I meant I wasn't going to pick up Dangerous Women just for Silence. I do own AU so I've got the Cosmere shorts covered anyway.

1 hour ago, Drake Marshall said:

Hullo.

Recommendation #1: Read the Way of Kings when you have time. It is one of the best books ever written.

Recommendation #2: Accept the cookie. Not only is it delicious but it will give you superpowers. Only boring people read the fine print.

#1 I'm doing a, hopefully, straight read of Sanderson so I'll be getting to it after Mistborn Era 1. My only regret is that it's the small paperback that's over 1200 pages so it's going to a pain to hold.

#2 That would depend on the powers. If it gives me teleportation like Nightcrawler then I'll eat it. If it basically turns me into Aquaman then no thanks. I'm that picky with superpowers. ;)

Welcome to the Shard! Don't accept any food offered to you, especially cookies, or anything by the Dark Alley. But anything from someone with 'Surgefinder' or 'Knight of the Cosmere' should be OK. That being said, have a slice of Chouta! Also, if you are wondering what the Surgefinders are, they are a group of people, or, well, here's a link to the Surgefinder's official fourm if you want to know about it. And we are desperately needing members! As for the Knights of the Cosmere, that is something I can't say anything about. So, welcome to world of bookworms!

Also, try reading WoK in Mass Market. 1,252 pages. WoR is about 1,3??. I just read WoK in Mass Market, but now I have both in hardcover and Mass Paperback, so I use the paperback for covering in sticky notes, and hardcover for reading. And whacking my cousin. (Only once).

Edited by Tesh