Ollo

Taliax

I've been reading one of the meme threads on here for a while, so I thought I'd finally make an account if only so I can upvote stuff over there.  XD  I started reading Sanderson books when my dad forced me to listen to the first chapter of Steelheart on audiobook like 3 times (not that I didn't like it, I just much prefer paper books to audiobooks). So then I finally just bought the book, read it, and it avalanched from there.  After reading the Reckoners I read Wheel of Time at the request of one of my friends, barely finished the series before leaving on a mission, and then when I came home I decided to catch up on all the Sanderson books I hadn't gotten to read yet, starting with Stormlight Archive, which has been my favorite so far.

My username comes from a mix of two of my old fandoms, Pokemon and Kingdom Hearts.  (A Nobody name of "Latia.")  I did play with the idea of making it Taliaxailat instead though. :P

I'm excited to be here!  And just vaguely worried about all this talk of spiked cookies...

Hey, welcome to the Shard! Have an upvote and a free spiked delicious cookie!

Spoiler

cookie.jpg

DISCLAIMER: Side effects include, but are not limited to, hearing voices, gaining supernatural powers, having the sudden urge to kill everyone, and completely losing control over your mind and body. The Dark Alley™ claims no liability for any damage done to/by the eater of this cookie.

Have you read all of the Cosmere books? If you haven't yet, I'd recommend reading Mistborn, because that series is amazing. Also, I'd recommend reading Warbreaker (which you can find for free on Brandon's website) and then rereading WoR because it makes some things in that book make a little more sense. 

Anyway, welcome again, and have fun!

Welcome! Have an upvote, and you're extremely sensible to be worried about spiked cookies. Because of the obvious reason - they're spiked lol. Both bad for the digestion and health in general, as well as causing a whole lot of problems in terms of control!

30 minutes ago, StrikerEZ said:

Hey, welcome to the Shard! Have an upvote and a free spiked delicious cookie!

Hide contents

cookie.jpg

DISCLAIMER: Side effects include, but are not limited to, hearing voices, gaining supernatural powers, having the sudden urge to kill everyone, and completely losing control over your mind and body. The Dark Alley™ claims no liability for any damage done to/by the eater of this cookie.

Have you read all of the Cosmere books? If you haven't yet, I'd recommend reading Mistborn, because that series is amazing. Also, I'd recommend reading Warbreaker (which you can find for free on Brandon's website) and then rereading WoR because it makes some things in that book make a little more sense. 

Anyway, welcome again, and have fun!

Thanks! That cookie looks delicious! :D

I've read all of the Cosmere books except for the second Mistborn series and a few of the stories in Arcanum Unbounded.  I loved Warbreaker!  I read WoR first and was super confused by Szeth's ending, and then I read Warbreaker and was like O.o Mistborn was great too!  Man I have a hard time picking favorites, I just found I really liked Warbreaker way more than I expected, but SA still has to be my favorite I think.  I was going to pick up the Alloy of Law today but the library was all out.  So instead I joined 17th Shard.  XD

25 minutes ago, Taliax said:

Thanks! That cookie looks delicious! :D

I've read all of the Cosmere books except for the second Mistborn series and a few of the stories in Arcanum Unbounded.  I loved Warbreaker!  I read WoR first and was super confused by Szeth's ending, and then I read Warbreaker and was like O.o Mistborn was great too!  Man I have a hard time picking favorites, I just found I really liked Warbreaker way more than I expected, but SA still has to be my favorite I think.  I was going to pick up the Alloy of Law today but the library was all out.  So instead I joined 17th Shard.  XD

Oh, that's awesome. You should totally get to reading the Era 2 books (AOL and its sequels). They're really good. Sucks that you're library didn't have I thought though. <_<

Also, you haven't read Secret History from Arcanum Unbounded yet, have you?

I did read Secret History, even though I read that it had spoilers... it said minor spoilers, so I figured it would be okay, though since I haven't read era 2 I'm not entirely sure how spoilery it is.  ^^; Regardless, it was so good and hilarious I think it was worth it, and I think it was better for having just finished HoA a few days ago.

I'm debating buying AOL on Amazon or seeing if someone I know has it, or even pulling something crazy and listening to it on audiobook since my dad has it.  Ironically, I have a copy of Shadows of Self already, which I got for my dad at a midnight release, signed and everything, when the only Sanderson books I had read at that point were Steelheart and Firefight.  XD (He didn't care about it because it wasn't an audiobook, so I got to keep it.)

The only Arcanum stories I haven't read are Emperor's Soul, Sixth of the Dusk, and Allomancer Jak.

4 minutes ago, Taliax said:

I did read Secret History, even though I read that it had spoilers... it said minor spoilers, so I figured it would be okay, though since I haven't read era 2 I'm not entirely sure how spoilery it is.  ^^; Regardless, it was so good and hilarious I think it was worth it, and I think it was better for having just finished HoA a few days ago.

I'm debating buying AOL on Amazon or seeing if someone I know has it, or even pulling something crazy and listening to it on audiobook since my dad has it.  Ironically, I have a copy of Shadows of Self already, which I got for my dad at a midnight release, signed and everything, when the only Sanderson books I had read at that point were Steelheart and Firefight.  XD (He didn't care about it because it wasn't an audiobook, so I got to keep it.)

The only Arcanum stories I haven't read are Emperor's Soul, Sixth of the Dusk, and Allomancer Jak.

Aww, okay. If you had waited, that would've made something be a little more impactful, but it's not too big of a deal.

Also, this is a tragedy. You need to read Sixth of the Dusk now. It's absolutely one of my favorite short stories, or stories in general, of all time. I know some people don't like it as much as some of Brandon's other stuff, but I absolutely love it. While you're waiting for AoL, I'd suggest reading that short story.

Also, have you read Elantris? If so, I'd read Emperor's Soul as well.

9 minutes ago, StrikerEZ said:

Aww, okay. If you had waited, that would've made something be a little more impactful, but it's not too big of a deal.

Also, this is a tragedy. You need to read Sixth of the Dusk now. It's absolutely one of my favorite short stories, or stories in general, of all time. I know some people don't like it as much as some of Brandon's other stuff, but I absolutely love it. While you're waiting for AoL, I'd suggest reading that short story.

Also, have you read Elantris? If so, I'd read Emperor's Soul as well.

I also accidentally spoiled myself really bad while waiting to read HoA that 

Spoiler

Sazed is the Hero of Ages

So it wouldn't be the first time... ^^;  (To be fair, I was stuck on vacation with no books left to read, having thought it would take me longer to read Well of Ascension, and I was tiding myself over with the memes thread and accidentally clicked a spoiler link.)

The only reason I haven't read Sixth of the Dusk yet is because every time I'm about to the picture at the front of it really creeps me out.  XD I've read Elantris and heard Emperor's Soul is really good, I just really want to read AOL now since I just finished Secret History.  ^^; Maybe those can tide me over while I wait though.

1 minute ago, Taliax said:

I also accidentally spoiled myself really bad while waiting to read HoA that 

Hide contents

Sazed is the Hero of Ages

So it wouldn't be the first time... ^^;  (To be fair, I was stuck on vacation with no books left to read, having thought it would take me longer to read Well of Ascension, and I was tiding myself over with the memes thread and accidentally clicked a spoiler link.)

The only reason I haven't read Sixth of the Dusk yet is because every time I'm about to the picture at the front of it really creeps me out.  XD I've read Elantris and heard Emperor's Soul is really good, I just really want to read AOL now since I just finished Secret History.  ^^; Maybe those can tide me over while I wait though.

Aw man, that sucks. I kind of did the same thing except

Spoiler

I spoiled that he became Harmony, not necessarily the Hero of Ages, so I wasn't quite sure what him being Harmony meant, but I realized right as it was happening lol. Also, I accidentally saw on this site that Kelsier dies, but I forgot about that until he was about to die.

Eh, it is kind of creepy, but trust me, the story is really good. Yeah, I gotchu. AoL is really good, but you can tide yourself over with SotD and TES.

23 hours ago, StrikerEZ said:

Aw man, that sucks. I kind of did the same thing except

Hide contents

I spoiled that he became Harmony, not necessarily the Hero of Ages, so I wasn't quite sure what him being Harmony meant, but I realized right as it was happening lol. Also, I accidentally saw on this site that Kelsier dies, but I forgot about that until he was about to die.

Eh, it is kind of creepy, but trust me, the story is really good. Yeah, I gotchu. AoL is really good, but you can tide yourself over with SotD and TES.

I just read SotD today and it was great!  While big epic world building like SA is awesome, it's pretty impressive just how much world building and characterization Brandon can get across in a short story too. My mind was blown when I realized what the picture in the front actually was. I wonder if the "Ones Above" are future worldhoppers?

Also ordered AOL and BoM today :D

7 minutes ago, Taliax said:

I just read SotD today and it was great!  While big epic world building like SA is awesome, it's pretty impressive just how much world building and characterization Brandon can get across in a short story too. My mind was blown when I realized what the picture in the front actually was. I wonder if the "Ones Above" are future worldhoppers?

Also ordered AOL and BoM today :D

I know! It's sooooooo good! Also, if you wanna talk about the identity of the Ones Above, that would probably be better served in the Cosmere Theories section.

Yay! :D

Welcome to the Shard! Don't accept any food offered to you, especially cookies, or anything by the Dark Alley. But anything from someone with 'Surgefinder' or 'Knight of the Cosmere' should be OK. That being said, have a slice of Chouta! Also, if you are wondering what the Surgefinders are, they are a group of people, or, well, here's a link to the Surgefinder's official fourm if you want to know about it. And we are desperately needing members! As for the Knights of the Cosmere, that is something I can't say anything about. So, welcome to world of bookworms!