Interesting Similarities between Kel and V (for Vendetta)

Delightful

Firstly I'm posting this on behalf of another Israeli fan.

So if you think about it, there are a lot of similarities between V and Kelsier. 

Both actively rebel against the government. 

Both are not totally neurotypical. 

V becomes a martyr, Kel has Church of the Survivor.

Both train a young woman. 

Both are scarred.

They are ideologically similar, charismatic and driven. 

Both are the only survivors of a rough situation from which they emerge stronger than before. 

Does anyone else see this? Could V have been an inspiration for Kel, or is that much copying not Brandon's style and more likely a coincidence?

No yeah, I can totally see it now: FE = V for Vendetta + Oceans 11.

I sort of doubt the similarities are intentional (but it's been a long time since I read the annotations so maybe?) but I also wouldn't say they're a mistake.  Probably more like subconscious inspiration combined with similarities arising from using the same type of proven/widely-known templates/techniques for developing interesting characters, meets honest coincidence.  Your analysis is certainly worth an upvote though!

49 minutes ago, hwiles said:

No yeah, I can totally see it now: FE = V for Vendetta + Oceans 11.

I sort of doubt the similarities are intentional (but it's been a long time since I read the annotations so maybe?) but I also wouldn't say they're a mistake.  Probably more like subconscious inspiration combined with similarities arising from using the same type of proven/widely-known templates/techniques for developing interesting characters, meets honest coincidence.  Your analysis is certainly worth an upvote though!

Not my analysis, Im posting on behalf of a Hebrew speaker :)

31 minutes ago, Delightful said:

Not my analysis, Im posting on behalf of a Hebrew speaker :)

Ah yes, you said that before and I simply forgot; if they ever join the shard, be sure to pass them an upvote on my behalf.  You may keep the one I gave you as recognition of a good-deed.

It's... the anti-hero with a thousand faces? But, actually, none of this is new. Certain archetypes become more prominent at different times than others. 

If you want to be fair, even before V you have Turin.  An outlaw, a rebel, he goes from bad to worse and still stays strong. He's a major figure in lore and prophesy. He takes a young woman under his wing.

Of course, she's his sister but he finds this out AFTER they're married and expecting their first. Also dragons, talking swords and making bad guys better people. And it ends badly because it's a tragedy. I love Tolkien, don't you? (The Silmarillion synopsis should be: Every character you come to care about -and every other character too- will die or end badly. And warning stickers: Warning! You will cry!)

Turin's tale is drawn from the Kallavela, the finish national epic. The anti-hero/anti-villain is an ancient concept. Try Medea, for one who is usually incomprehensible by today's standards. Or Loki, Prometheus or any other trickster you care to think of. Turin, V and Kell draw from these ancient tales. The archetypes predate them both. So it's really not that odd for you to be finding similarities.

Completely off topic, but I've been wondering: If Kelsier, Arvis, Silk, and Xanatos somehow ended up working together... They have certain similarities that both make me both want to see this team up and simultaneously terrified should it ever occur. The discussion is similar characters got me thinking about this.

If anyone has an additional member for the team up, feel free to join. But only one per universe. Also, this is the boys' team. Girls team is Shallan, Velvet, Fox and Selina Kyle right now.

Spoiler

(For those who don't know: Arvis is an anti-villain from Fire Emblem Geneology of the Holy War. He's rather infamous for...  well, that's a spoiler. And by infamous I mean out of universe. Yes, he actually managed to genuinely upset the players... but he's also surprisingly sympathetic. Along with Emperor Rudolf he's one of my two favorite FE villains.

Silk is the nickname of Khelder, one of the major characters in the Belgariad. Velvet, is not on the team because A) she only joins in the Mallorean and B ) her presence wouldn't be fair also C) she's on the girls' team.

David Xanatos is ... probably one of the coolest villains Disney ever created, except for the times he's an antihero. He's best known for his Xanatos gambits, where no matter what his opponents do he wins.)

18 hours ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

David Xanatos is ... probably one of the coolest villains Disney ever created, except for the times he's an antihero. He's best known for his Xanatos gambits, where no matter what his opponents do he wins.)

So that's the man behind that trope!

• Chaos locked this topic