Updated writing schedule

Brandon has posted this on Reddit. He will do Apocalypse Guard over the next year, with a novella between each book. This delays The Lost Metal a bit but raises the potential of a Cosmere novella. Could be Adamant or Silverlight (which he's said would be novellas), or a shorter-than-planned Threnody, or a Sel (if he's getting impatient before a proper sequel), or of course anything non-Cosmere. Oversleep didn't get much out of him, but if he needs it for a break from a non-Cosmere book, I like the potential of a Cosmere one. 

Then it's Lost Metal, Rithmatist 2 and Legion over the following year. Good news for Legion fans, that's been brought forward. And of course for the many Rithmatist lovers. 

After that, Stormlight Stormlight Stormlight!

Below is the WoB, and below that the prior State of the Sanderson.

mistborn
12h

Current Plan (though these things get shaken up) is as follows:

Do the Apocalypse Guard Trilogy this year, moving into next year, with a novella between each book to take a break. That could take me up to roughly a year.

Do W&W 4, Rithmatist 2, and the final Legion story over the next year. That will wrap up W&W and Legion, maybe Rithmatist, depending if I want two or three books.

With my slate clean, I dive into Stormlight 4, write something bizarre and unplanned in-between, then go right into Stormlight 5 rounding out the first Stormlight sequence.

But, as I said, these plans tend to shift a lot as I work on different books.

Oversleep42
11h

Do the Apocalypse Guard Trilogy this year, moving into next year, with a novella between each book to take a break. That could take me up to roughly a year.

Any word on what these novellas will be? Are they Cosmere? Reckonersverse or greater universe of Apocalypse Guard? Something else entirely?

mistborn
11h

The way my process works, I'll probably need to see what I'm excited most about when I write them--something that gives me a break from what I'm writing. I've got outlines for a couple of novellas I want to do, but I can't say which I'd end up doing.

Source

February 2017: Snapshot
November 2017: Stormlight 3
Spring 2018: Apocalypse Guard 1
Fall 2018: Wax and Wayne 4 (final book)
Sometime 2019: Apocalypse Guard 2
Sometime 2019: Undecided. (There will likely be a second novel this year. It’s possible that I’m still working on Stormlight 4 though, and will have a lean year as a result.)
Sometime 2020: Stormlight 4
Sometime 2020: Apocalypse Guard 3 (final book

Source

Any hopes for potential novellas? Thoughts? Hopes? Dreams?

There are two other cosmere novellas he has discussed:

• Silence Divine (although the name will almost certainly changed), the one set on Ashyn with the disease magic. He had originally planned a full book, but has considered trimming it down to a novella.
  • 1940s Mistborn, which I believe was going to be about a World War on Scadrial. It was supposed to be his follow-up to Alloy of Law, before he expanded the Wax & Wayne Era. He hasn't talked about it much since then, so its major points might be covered (or at least set up sufficiently) in The Lost Metal. But this almost certainly won't be what he writes before The Lost Metal; I just wanted to mention it for completeness' sake.

Adamant is another weird animal. It was not written originally to be Cosmere, but Brandon might try to fit it in. But he wants to do something unique with the project, writing four novellas, having other authors write a couple, and then doing a regular release schedule over several months. I hope this is not what he writes, either, since he probably wouldn't be releasing it anytime soon.

Lastly, even though he's calling it a novella, he might be able to write the last Alcatraz book; those typically only have a month or so of writing time, and from what I understand the point the series has left off at isn't really a good place to languish.

I hope Brandon does not leave the cosmere with no stories in 2018. That would be quite a shame to spend a 4 year gap with The Lost Metal being the only new cosmere story.

6 minutes ago, Oversleep said:

While not related to the writing schedule, I managed to get something else out of him:

Przechwytywanieww.PNG.6a9c912f6d53ed524c34df2868792c3e.PNG

source

(I don't know how to quote stuff from reddit)

Upvote for the info. 

I'm slightly annoyed at film rights influencing world building to that extent though. 

Well, I'm happy that he can take these two years to clean his plate, even though waiting for the Lost Metal sucks. When he has conpleted this two year plan however, he wont be bothered by non-Cosmere stuff for a while (except maybe Alcatraz and Rithmatist 3 which feels pretty good).

It also means that we won't need to wait several years for Apocalypse Guard to be finished, which is nice. This ensures that we won't get another Rithmatist, something that lies unfinished for several years.

When it comes to short-stories, I would love a Stormlight novella on Axies, but I would also appreciate if he did something on Nalthis, since it is the only core Shardworld we have seen that is without a novella. This would also give him a reason to give us a Nalthis essay (can someone ask him about that essay btw?).

So, while it sucks to not have much Cosmere for a while after Oathbringer, I think it will prove to be a good decision. And I also think that if there is something that can keep the entire Shard busy theorizing, it is Oathbringer.

1 minute ago, Ammanas said:

So if I understand things correctly Brandon is writing all three Apocalypse Guard books at once now. Does that mean the 13% done on his website mean that percentage for the first book of the trilogy or all three books?

It will be the first one. He'll list this, then the novella he'll use for a break, then book 2.

Unless he has a SoS/BoM moment and we get something as a surprise, it's normally one bar per book. 

1 minute ago, Toaster Retribution said:

Anyone who knows how long a book the size of Apocalypse Guard (likely the size of the Reckoners) usually takes Brandon?

It's been around 3-5 months, depending on how busy he is with other stuff. (If he doesn't manage to get it done before the OB tour, he'll lose a lot of time!)

Let me make sure I understand the release order being posted:

AG 1

Unknown Novella

AG 2

Unknown Novella

AG 3

Mistborn 2.4/W&W 4, Rithmatist 2, Legion 3 (unknown order)

Stormlight 4

Unplanned bizarre book

Stormlight 5!?

I hope the earth based stories collection finds a place somewhere in there, maybe between Stormlight 4 and 5?

7 minutes ago, Pagerunner said:

I think that's where Legion 3 will be published.

I would hope so, I haven't got the first two yet. I'm almost hoping the collection is done similar to AU, but done like a record being kept by someone, in a similar role to Khriss, at the Apocalypse Guard?

Just now, Draginon said:

I would hope so, I haven't got the first two yet. I'm almost hoping the collection is done similar to AU, but done like a record being kept by someone, in a similar role to Khriss, at the Apocalypse Guard?

The Apocalypse Guard is not in the same universe as the other non-Cosmere works though. It is related to the Reckoners (and by extension Mitosis) but not any of the other stuff as far as I know. Legion, Rithmatist, Snapshot, the other stuff, are all on their own.

1 hour ago, Toaster Retribution said:

The Apocalypse Guard is not in the same universe as the other non-Cosmere works though. It is related to the Reckoners (and by extension Mitosis) but not any of the other stuff as far as I know. Legion, Rithmatist, Snapshot, the other stuff, are all on their own.

I know they are all separate universes, but what if they had someone working for the Guard who monitors the multiverse looking for possible worlds similar to the Reckoners Earth but is dismissing the other Earths for looking too 'impossible' (the United States islands of Rithmatist, the 'extra' continents and exclusion of France from Alcatraz) and thus are not part of the universe.

4 hours ago, Draginon said:

Let me make sure I understand the release order being posted:

AG 1

Unknown Novella

AG 2

Unknown Novella

AG 3

Mistborn 2.4/W&W 4, Rithmatist 2, Legion 3 (unknown order)

Stormlight 4

Unplanned bizarre book

Stormlight 5!?

I hope the earth based stories collection finds a place somewhere in there, maybe between Stormlight 4 and 5?

Brandon is talking about writing order here, not release order. There are two publishers (plus the novellas likely will be self-published or with a small press) so schedules are going to overlap probably.

2 hours ago, WeiryWriter said:

Brandon is talking about writing order here, not release order. There are two publishers (plus the novellas likely will be self-published or with a small press) so schedules are going to overlap probably.

I realized after posting that I should've said writing order and not release order. It's more trying to figure out how the calendar will look than anything. The last bit though surprised me since the wording is that he wants to go Stormlight 4, unknown book and then right on to Stormlight 5. Knowing how long those take it surprised me that there won't be much of a gap, you just know that unknown book will be written in three months tops.

42 minutes ago, Ammanas said:

So is Brandon completing the proofread of Oathbringer or is he leaving that up to his team? I noticed it popped up on his web page.

I thought Peter said, either here or on Reddit, that the team handles it

9 hours ago, Figberts said:

THRENODY!!!!

I need more threnody. What are the Deepest ones? How does the dead form of Ambition manifest itself? What is it like to be one of the fortfolk? And what are more awesome Puritain names?

My personal theory is that Ambition manifests itself as the evil that destroyed the homelands. 

When i read the state of the sanderson i saw a potential problem with the squeduled book release:

February 2017: Snapshot
November 2017: Stormlight 3
Spring 2018: Apocalypse Guard 1
Fall 2018: Wax and Wayne 4 (final book)
Sometime 2019: Apocalypse Guard 2
Sometime 2019: Undecided. (There will likely be a second novel this year. It’s possible that I’m still working on Stormlight 4 though, and will have a lean year as a result.)
Sometime 2020: Stormlight 4
Sometime 2020: Apocalypse Guard 3 (final book)

according to this, and his well known plan to write 3 smaller books between stormlight books, the 3rd Apocalypse would have waited to be written after stormlight4. And thats a looong wait for that book. He tells us that he is writing them to replenish his energy between serious books, but, i believe, his contract there is far more rigid than the Tor one. Just look at the proposed squeduling above, where every apocalypse book is on a strict one year period. Recognizing this, he probably  thought that writing them all at once will give him far more leeway in doing his other, more important work. But that would negate the fact that he is writing them to give himself a break from doing the tough ones. 

I believe, to make everyone happy (honoring his contracts, and fan expectations) and give himself break he should write them as follows

- Apocalypse guard 1 (3-5 months)

- rithmatist2 or The lost Metal (3-5 months)

- Alcatraz (one month)

- Apocalypse guard 2 (3-5 months)

- rithmatist2 or The lost Metal (3-5 months)

- Legion3 (one month)

- Apocalypse guard 3 ( 3-5 months)

- Stormlight 4

Best case scenario, he will start writing Stormlight4 in the spring 2019, worst case, summer 2020.. 

I strongly suggest he stop writing new material before he completes his ongoing serials, including novellas. That being said, i have a feeling that if there are to be novellas written in this perios, they would be Snapshot 2,3,4 (because of the movie rights)