Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
phoenix2563

New thought on dawnshards

13 posts in this topic

Long time troller, rare poster here.  Just read the prologue posted here for Oathbringer, and had some thoughts I haven't seen mentioned.  

The two black spheres that Gavilar mentions (and shows one to Eshonai), let's assume that these spheres are holding 2 of the Unmade, holding the "Parshendi gods" Eshonai is so fearful of.  .

Regarding dawnshards, Tanavast mentions in one of his visions to Dalinar that "without the Dawnshards, you're doomed".  What if these spheres are two of the lost Dawnshards, the purpose of which was to trap the Unmade ("known to bind any creature voidish or mortal"), which is part of the ending of a desolation?  Other posters here seem to think that the dawnshards are like shardblades, and while I agree that each contains large amounts of investiture that doesn't mean that this would take on the same form.

I also assume that since we're in Roshar that there are 10 Dawnshards, and probably 9 unmade (since 9 is the number of Odium), which leaves one dawnshard to spare for purposes of ending the desolations.  

Also, has anyone thought that perhaps the Dawnsingers were the original "god spren" that the 9 Splinters of Odium corrupted into the Unmade?  If this has any merit to it, could there be one dawnsinger left that remains uncorrupted?

Maybe these are all just crazy theories.   I'll leave to the more versed on this board to chime in :)

8 minutes ago, phoenix2563 said:

Also, has anyone thought that perhaps the Dawnsingers were the original "god spren" that the 9 Splinters of Odium corrupted into the Unmade?  If this has any merit to it, could there be one dawnsinger left that remains uncorrupted

I have definitely had this thought. 

The Unmade, by definition of their name, were previously something else. 

The Dawnsingers, at least in my mind, are the obvious choice. 

I haven't come across a lot of info on the dawnsingers, probably because there hasn't been much stuff about them yet. Are they not supposed to be weapons stronger than honorblades?

Edit:I got confused with dawnsingers and dawnshards.

Edited by Megasif

3 hours ago, Megasif said:

I haven't come across a lot of info on the dawnsingers, probably because there hasn't been much stuff about them yet. Are they not supposed to be weapons stronger than honorblades?

Edit:I got confused with dawnsingers and dawnshards.

We don't know what they are, other than they are supposed to be able to "bind anything" which makes them sound more like a trap than an outright weapon. 

In one of Dalinar's visions, a Knight Radiant and her squires were hunting one of the unmade.

How were they intending to deal with the Unmade? Perhaps your theory on Dawnshards utilisation is correct/

Edited by vikorr

3 minutes ago, vikorr said:

In one of Dalinar's visions, a Knight Radiant and her squires were hunting one of the unmade.

How were they intending to deal with the Unmade? Perhaps your theory on Dawnshards utilisation is correct/

No, they were hunting a single spren corrupted by sja-anat, not the Unmade itself. 

Ah for some reason I thought they were hunting sja-anat. Wasn't Sja-anat the only one able to raise Thunderclasts?

5 minutes ago, vikorr said:

Ah for some reason I thought they were hunting sja-anat. Wasn't Sja-anat the only one able to raise Thunderclasts?

I don't know. I think from that vision it's able to corrupt spren somehow. That may include the ones that animate Thunderclasts but I don't know. 

I've read in an interview with Peter that dawnshards was an old name for the honorblades. Can anyone confirm this or did I read it wrong?

14 minutes ago, Megasif said:

I've read in an interview with Peter that dawnshards was an old name for the honorblades. Can anyone confirm this or did I read it wrong?

I've seen that... I'm not convinced. The in book references to the Dawnshards... How do the Honorblades bind any creature voiding or mortal? And why would Tanavast in the visions refer to them as something lost. "but without the Dawnshards..." the Honorblades are still around. Tanavast speaks as if they're gone. 

I suppose it could be correct... It just... Doesn't feel right. 

I mean there's been speculation as to the special powers of the honorblades. So far, the shardblades are ostensibly more useful, having the ability to change shape etc. But honorblades are said to be more powerful. This could be due to them having the ability 'to bind any creature voiding or mortal'. This could be that it kills them instead of just trapping them.

As in, the way shardblades are dangerous to humans and other living organisms, honorblades/dawnshards could be the same to the spren, or the unmade.

Edited by Megasif

3 minutes ago, Megasif said:

I mean there's been speculation as to the special powers of the honorblades. So far, the shardblades are ostensibly more useful, having the ability to change shape etc. But honorblades are said to be more powerful. This could be due to them having the ability 'to bind any creature voiding or mortal'. This could be that it kills them instead of just trapping them.

As in, the way shardblades are dangerous to humans and other living organisms, honorblades/dawnshards could be the same to the spren, or the unmade.

Well it's been confirmed (and I'll hunt for it and try to find it) that the Honorblades were directly fueled by Honor during the desolations zoo the Heralds didn't need Stormlight. And Honorblades "bond" to whoever is holding them... So what if the sentence there is incomplete. 

What if it should read "know to bind any creature, Voidish or mortal, to Honor." 

Tanavast's death, and the splintering of Honor would make that no longer feasible so Tanavast's remorseful words for their loss would make sense. 

Hmmm. I'll have to think about this. 

32 minutes ago, Calderis said:

Well it's been confirmed (and I'll hunt for it and try to find it) that the Honorblades were directly fueled by Honor during the desolations zoo the Heralds didn't need Stormlight. And Honorblades "bond" to whoever is holding them... So what if the sentence there is incomplete. 

What if it should read "know to bind any creature, Voidish or mortal, to Honor." 

Tanavast's death, and the splintering of Honor would make that no longer feasible so Tanavast's remorseful words for their loss would make sense. 

Hmmm. I'll have to think about this. 

That would explain their 'loss'. So apart from the holder not needing any stormlight, would it have any other special abilities. I feel they probably do, though, besides my theory about it being harmful to the unmade, I can't think of anything else atm.