In the meantime... (#spoiledbybrandonswritingspeed)

hula

While I dare never say (especially to this group) that I've re-read Brandon's works enough, I figured I could change it up a little and read someone else's works just to see if anyone else has some decent books. After googling "what should i read next" and following the rabbit hole, it sent me to Brent Weeks and his Night Angel trilogy. I'm reading it now- almost done with the first book... its "aight", though not certain if i'll be in for the whole series. 

Anyone read that series? worth sticking out? Any *other* recommendations?

I think the big problem is Brandon himself. he's spoiled us by having such a wide variety of books with different styles, plots, universes, and having them all out so quickly- this wait until Oathbringer just seems like its dragging on and on. As of now, I'm still planning on my umpteenth re-read of WoK followed by WoR to finish when Oathbringer is released, but- if I didnt get around to that due to another series, it wouldn't be the end of the world. 

Powder Mage Trilogy was recommended by Brandon around here. I read it and it was as great as I expected. If you like realistic science fiction try The Expanse books. The TV show is also very good but the books are better as usual. On the fantasy side, Jim Butchers Dresden Files are a lot of fun when I just want a great adventure.

Dagger and Coin series by Abraham is a excellent completed 5 book series

If you want something different try the Dandelion Dynasty series beginning with Grace of Kings by Ken Liu. He wrote in the style of Chinese epics and a lot of western audiences did not get it

Monarchies of God by Paul Kearney

The Forgetting Moon by Durfee. This is the first of five and its about 800 pgs. The author wants to release a book every 18 months and I believe he can do this. The best start to a series I have ever read (way too early to call it my favorite series though)

The Expanse series by Corey - Excellent Space Opera. I didn't like the tv show, but the books are amazing.

Edited by Ammanas

I've been enjoying reading graphic novels and webcomics as a break after really big prose books. It's a good idea to try some if you haven't before.

Actually, I might need to mark down those Powder mage books, and that Chinese style epic sounds interesting...

Night Angel is kind of just alright. His other series, Lightbringer (starting with The Black Prism) is much better.

I highly recommend Brian McClellan's Powder Mage series. 

Jim Butcher's Dresden Files is very definitely a good one, though the first few are a little on the weaker side. Fortunately, they are also on the short side, so you get through them quickly. 

Kingkiller Chronicles is, to me, an excellent read, but it's very different from Brandon's style. It's very much about the prose - the plot itself is nothing crazy. You kind of have to read it like poetry. You'll hear mixed feedback on this one.

I can't speak for the other books and series mentioned so far.

As for my own contribution, I've been reading V. E. Schwab's Shades of Magic series (I am about 70% into the second one), and it has been most excellent. Django Wexler's The Shadow Campaigns series is also pretty good, though a little too full of military details (e.g. descriptions of battles). 

read kingkiller chronicles- still waiting with the masses on whether the 3rd book will ever come out... ;-). i did enjoy the story and i look forward to book 3...

read probably the first 6-7 WoT books, but the story just kinda started falling flat for me around book 4-5(?). i was slightly saddened by that though- because i wanted to read it mostly because of Brandon's contributions towards the story at the end, and because the person who turned me onto Brandon's works loved that entire series as well.

the dresden files... that what the show was based off of?

i wouldn't mind reading something given the Brandon Blessing- i'll see what the rest of the Night Angel trilogy has in store. i usually don't just dip out of books as I'm reading them unless it just becomes painful or far too long-drawn out.

i do appreciate the input everyone! it'll give me plenty more to read based on shared interests :-). i don't know about you all, but- this is my BS community. Aside from the 17th shard, ive gotten my wife and a coworker into the cosmere, but they're more casual fans... Thanks!

10 hours ago, A Budgie said:

I've been enjoying reading graphic novels and webcomics as a break after really big prose books. It's a good idea to try some if you haven't before.

Actually, I might need to mark down those Powder mage books, and that Chinese style epic sounds interesting...

Have you tried the collected Bone graphic novels by Jeff Smith? They are excellent!

Powder Mage gets a lot of love on the shard, but for me it was ok. Another series that basically does everything Powder Mage does, but in my opinion better, is Wexler's Shadow Campaign novels starting with The Thousand Names.

If you want good fantasy books written by a really great and prolific author in addition toBrandon Sanderson books, I'd recommend Brandon Mull books. Particularly Fablehaven and Candy Shop War. They're not exactly long epic fantasies with a hard magic system, but they're still really good, really enjoyable books.

I think I am even more spoiled by Brandon's communication with his fans. He is constantly updating us on where he is at (writing his books) and even has a completion percentage on his page. With many authors we only get about two updates a year if we are lucky!

Edited by Ammanas

19 hours ago, Ammanas said:

Have you tried the collected Bone graphic novels by Jeff Smith? They are excellent!

Powder Mage gets a lot of love on the shard, but for me it was ok. Another series that basically does everything Powder Mage does, but in my opinion better, is Wexler's Shadow Campaign novels starting with The Thousand Names.

No, but I've heard of them. I'll have to check them out though.

On 7/14/2017 at 11:55 AM, hula said:

the dresden files... that what the show was based off of?

Yes. However that was one of single worst adaptations in human history. It followed nothing from the books other than characters names and their basic roles. That show SUCKS!

the books are pretty meh from 1 to 2/3 into book 3 and then the series blasts off into epicness.

No one has said A Song of Ice and Fire yet. GRRM is much more adult themed than Sanderson (graphic violence and sex) but the plot and characters are great (yes, I know that I probably dont need to explain it, but whatever).

I'm currently reading Malice, the first in a series called The Faithful and the Fallen. Nothing new or spectacular, but pretty entertaining.

On 7/15/2017 at 0:06 PM, Briar King said:

Yes. However that was one of single worst adaptations in human history. It followed nothing from the books other than characters names and their basic roles. That show SUCKS!

Counterarguement: The Lightning Thief, Eragon, Avatar the Last Airbender (TV show to movie, but still applies)

Personally, I've added a bunch of Ammanas suggestions to my own list. He hasn't steered me wrong yet. 

I enjoyed The Sword of Shannara trilogy if you haven't yet read that. 

I think I've decided on how to deal with my frustrations regarding slow writing. Yes *narrows eyes* I'm looking at you GRRM and Patrick Rothfus.

Since the conclusion of the story is obviously more important to the fans than it is to either of these authors, my solution is simple. I'll wait a week after they release (cause what's one more week after 7 years?) and then buy them used. That way I get to enjoy the story I've been waiting for, while sipping on the Scotch that I put my price savings towards, and feeling quite smug about neither of them getting any money out of me. 

Edited by AngelEy3

I think a really good series is the Jackaby series by William Ritter. I've had lots of favorite books (that weren't written by Brandon, of course :P), but this series takes the cake for being one of my absolute favorites. The first book, Jackaby, is just so good. It's like a fantasy version of Sherlock Holmes but set in mid-19th century America. It's just wonderful. There's ghosts, werewolves, monsters, and a quirky supernatural version of Holmes himself with a badass female Watson. If anything, the Watson character is one of my favorite characters from any book ever. There's been three books so far, with a fourth one coming out soon.

On 7/13/2017 at 10:17 PM, Shqueeves said:

If you're willing to stick with it, the Wheel of Time is worth a read. It is, however, ~14 books long

I tried reading that straight through. I almost burned myself out a few times. Seriously had to take breaks with other books. The worst was when the long summer starts and I got to it during a heat wave.

On 7/14/2017 at 1:35 AM, Delightful said:

... I also tried powder mage and didn't get more than a chapter or two into it. Worth another shot sometime?

@Delightful, I encourage you to try the new book, Sins of Empire (first in a trilogy, "Gods of Blood and Powder"). The setting of McClellan's original trilogy resembled Napoleon's military campaigns and the tone was more intense; the setting and tone of SoE are different - I understand that he pitched it to his publisher as "post-Revolutionary America is invaded by the Aztecs, with magic." The Mad Ben Styke character is just too good: colorful and complex. And the little girl Celine ... I hope to someday ask McClellan who he modeled her after because she is awesome. There's a scene near the very end of SoE that is one of the most hilarious passages I've read in a long time (though it wouldn't be out of context). I understand he's publishing a Ben Styke e-novella soon and I'm really looking forward to it. Also - - gotta say, I love your new photo/avatar, Delightful! Gal Gadot is the perfect WW! (Don't know about you, but I look at her and think "Esther"!)

@hula, I can sympathize with you; after 18 times through, I'm giving TLotR a break. Are you looking only for fantasy books? If you're open to sci-fi, I recommend One Jump Ahead by Mark Van Name (nano-enhanced human + sentient spaceship; good multi-book plot arc). The "Ex-Heroes" series by Peter Clines is  a quick read (superheroes + zombie apocalypse; slightly lighthearted with some good plot twists). If mysteries interest you at all, I recommend the "Bryant and May" series by Christopher Fowler (octogenarian detectives in London with a paranormal twist; great characterizations!). Hope this helps! :-)

Edited by old aggie
add name + italics

On 20 July 2017 at 4:39 AM, old aggie said:

@Delightful, I encourage you to try the new book, Sins of Empire (first in a trilogy, "Gods of Blood and Powder"). The setting of McClellan's original trilogy resembled Napoleon's military campaigns and the tone was more intense; the setting and tone of SoE are different - I understand that he pitched it to his publisher as "post-Revolutionary America is invaded by the Aztecs, with magic." The Mad Ben Styke character is just too good: colorful and complex. And the little girl Celine ... I hope to someday ask McClellan who he modeled her after because she is awesome. There's a scene near the very end of SoE that is one of the most hilarious passages I've read in a long time (though it wouldn't be out of context). I understand he's publishing a Ben Styke e-novella soon and I'm really looking forward to it. Also - - gotta say, I love your new photo/avatar, Delightful! Gal Gadot is the perfect WW! (Don't know about you, but I look at her and think "Esther"!)

@hula, I can sympathize with you; after 18 times through, I'm giving TLotR a break. Are you looking only for fantasy books? If you're open to sci-fi, I recommend One Jump Ahead by Mark Van Name (nano-enhanced human + sentient spaceship; good multi-book plot arc). The "Ex-Heroes" series by Peter Clines is  a quick read (superheroes + zombie apocalypse; slightly lighthearted with some good plot twists). If mysteries interest you at all, I recommend the "Bryant and May" series by Christopher Fowler (octogenarian detectives in London with a paranormal twist; great characterizations!). Hope this helps! :-)

Ok I'll keep an eye out for it!

[Well Esther was more of a diplomatic badass than a fierce warrior but yeah. Strong Jewish women FTW!  Plus the Israeli accent is so refreshing because she's from Themisceyra and shouldn't sound American like they so often do.] 

Edited by Delightful