Odium Bound

Forerunner

On 7/15/2017 at 0:21 PM, The One Who Connects said:

@Melriken Here. Have the timeline I attempted to reconstruct.

And this one.

Ok, this one needs some explaining. There is a Cosmere Standard for planetary weight and gravity, so it stands to reason that a Worldhopping community like SIlverlight would need a standard "year." Unless Silverlight somehow orbits a planet while in the CR, they need to mark the passage of time in their own way.

My biggest assumption is that they used the Rosharan year. We know the most details about the Rosharan timeline, so they are at the root of any timeline reconstruction, so I used theirs. Disclaimer: I know that the standard year should probably be the Yolish one, but nobody save Hoid and Frost should really know that. (meaning that Khriss can't use it. We can use Earth years, and it might be, but..)

One last thing, regarding the timeline on Scadrial, they used pre-Ascension calendars during the Lord Ruler's reign. Their adjusted "year" is no different than their current one in the eyes of the people. This combined with the fact that I can't justify the math for the 1K/1,024 discrepancy relative to the altered orbit makes Scadrial annoying(and not in the timelines).

The orange text is the basis of all of our problems, and the biggest loophole Brandon has used in a while. His WoBs are not series specific when talking about timeline. Odds are it's an Earth year, but we won't know for sure what his "Cosmere Standard" year is until he tells us.

Honestly, we'll need an official WoB or cannon timeline to determine the events order and it sounds like that won't come for several years (SA needs to wrap up the first 5 books IMO and possibly be past the next Mistborn trilogy).

What I am more curious about is how long it takes before the shards intent consumes the personality of the vessel/holder. That could affect how everything plays out with Rayse/Odium and Cultivation. If I recall correctly, Ati and Leras seemed to hold out for thousands of years; however, Sazed is only 300 years in during the Wax/Wayne series and he is struggling to do more than "slightly" influence his will. Maybe the effect increases exponentially since he holds two shards now?

8 minutes ago, Forerunner said:

What I am more curious about is how long it takes before the shards intent consumes the personality of the vessel/holder.

We already have evidence from Mistborn that this is not a set timeframe. At least one of the original Vessels was completely controlled by the Shards intent by the beginning (if not a couple thousand years before) that story. We also know that Rayse is still a big part of Odium as we know it. 

The timeframe for the Vessel being subsumed within the intent seems to be a combination of both the way that Shard and their personalities mesh, and the willpower (I'm guessing realmatically I should probably say Determination) of the Shard. 

24 minutes ago, Calderis said:

We already have evidence from Mistborn that this is not a set timeframe. At least one of the original Vessels was completely controlled by the Shards intent by the beginning (if not a couple thousand years before) that story. We also know that Rayse is still a big part of Odium as we know it. 

The timeframe for the Vessel being subsumed within the intent seems to be a combination of both the way that Shard and their personalities mesh, and the willpower (I'm guessing realmatically I should probably say Determination) of the Shard. 

I must have missed that. With Sanderson's works I was half-expecting an equation of sorts. Like:

SAP =  LoT * [ (SI / VW) + PCSV ]

Where,

SAP - Shard Absorbing Personality

LoT - Length of Time

SI - Shard Intent

VW - Vessel Willpower

PC - Percent Compatibility between Shard and Vessel

---

:lol:

Thanks for clarifying.

58 minutes ago, Forerunner said:

Sazed is only 300 years in during the Wax/Wayne series and he is struggling to do more than "slightly" influence his will.

This is more because of the Intent itself. He cannot maintain "Harmony" unless he does things in equal parts Ruin and Preservation. Try doing as much bad as you do good. I'ts not that easy. Anything he does will have to be balanced out, and that makes it hard to act in ways that would tip the scales(which is almost any action)

Rayse is an uncertain case, but we'll learn more as SA goes on.

1 hour ago, Forerunner said:

Honestly, we'll need an official WoB or cannon timeline to determine the events order

We have several.

The order of events is almost completely nailed down, we just lack the specific time-gaps between them. My Before Elantris, After Harmony, etc.. dates are roughly correct, but there are still too many unknowns for me to nail down precise dates.

20 minutes ago, OscarTheSingingHobo said:

As someone who just finished all the cosmere works, and thought I knew quite a bit about its lore, finding this thread has been a very humbling experience.  I can't believe how far down the rabbit hole goes!

Yeah this place makes you realize there is way more going on than is apparent from the books at first. 

You wanna see the rabbit hole though, enjoy the hunt for the hidden thing in the map of Rosharsomeone actually deciphering script and and the actual deciphering of the numerical code in the Diagram :)

On 7/19/2017 at 4:12 PM, Extesian said:

Yeah this place makes you realize there is way more going on than is apparent from the books at first. 

You wanna see the rabbit hole though, enjoy the hunt for the hidden thing in the map of Rosharsomeone actually deciphering script and and the actual deciphering of the numerical code in the Diagram :)

Dang!  This is probably why I enjoy his books so much.  Its obvious that he puts in so much time and effort into the details that make the universe cohesive.

• Chaos locked this topic