1940's Mistborn?

Ammanas

So in the 2014 State of Sanderson we have this, "So in the end, we’ll have four total. (The final one is tentatively called The Lost Metal.) From there, I might jump to the second “big” trilogy, which is 1980s tech. Or I might dally a little more in something 1940s-era instead. We’ll see."

So my question: Is he still planning on doing 1940's Mistborn? Is anyone close to him or is there any Words of Brandon addressing it that I am not aware of? Honestly I am a little divided. It seems like a intriguing idea, but I really want Science Fiction Mistborn and if he adds this to the list that will make the series I really want take longer.

The State of the Sanderson 2016 doesn't mention Mistborn Era 3 at all:

Once Era Two is done, we’ll let Mistborn lie fallow for a few years while I move on to Elantris/Warbreaker sequels. (See below.)

Also new in Brandons' to-do list: The Apocalypse Guard. That will be Reckoners style. Bad news for cosmere-only fans, good news for all of us who read every snippet they can get. The question of 1940's and/or 1980's Mistborn would be one for the future, I don't think there is anything predictable right now. Considering the amount of unfinished series I would strike out the "and" though and say its either 1940's or 1980's.

Agreed.  I think anyone who actually has information that would be helpful for answering your question is probably bound under contract to remain silent.  There are several WoB suggesting that an early 20th century setting involving an FBI-style team of mistings hunting a mentally unstable mistborn (the first one to be born in hundreds of years) would be the basis of era 3, but those are all at least 3 years old to the best of my knowledge. (meaning that they are not necessarily an accurate representation of current or future plans)  I think we'll have to settle for conjecture and speculation for the next 1-3 years...

If it helps, there has never been mention of an era 5, so, unless there is a complete restructuring of outlines (which, unfortunately, is possible) a space-opera, science-fiction, distant future-era Mistborn trilogy should not be any closer or further away regardless of whether he chooses to do an early or late 20th century series.

Brandon has talked about Era 3 more recently and while he hasn't nailed down the equivalent date per se, we can assume from what he's said that Era 3 will be a late 20th century equivalent setting rather than an early/mid one. If he does any 1940'ish writing it would be separate from the proper trilogy.

Here's one from last year where he mentions the protagonist of Era 3 will be a computer programmer

And another one where he says much the same thing

I don't believe he's said anything about the originally announced plot concept of 'allomantic SWAT team vs. Mistborn serial killer' in some time. It's a neat idea so I certainly hope that's still the focus, though I'm sure that if it does change whatever we get will be just as interesting. But nothing about the change to the protagonist from his initial mentions of Era 3 (back when it was 'the second trilogy') really implies anything about that one way or the other so until given specific reason to think otherwise, I'm assuming that the broad outline of the plot will follow that early announcement.

2 hours ago, Weltall said:

I don't believe he's said anything about the originally announced plot concept of 'allomantic SWAT team vs. Mistborn serial killer' in some time. It's a neat idea so I certainly hope that's still the focus, though I'm sure that if it does change whatever we get will be just as interesting. But nothing about the change to the protagonist from his initial mentions of Era 3 (back when it was 'the second trilogy') really implies anything about that one way or the other so until given specific reason to think otherwise, I'm assuming that the broad outline of the plot will follow that early announcement.

I can't find it at the moment, but I remember him specifically saying that the SWAT aspect is gone. He'd planned that prior to expanding AoL into a full series, and thought the overlap with Wax's procedural mindset was to much. 

As for the Mistborn serial killer, no idea if that's gone. 

I'll keep looking and see if I can hunt down the WoB I'm thinking of. 

@Weltall I hadn't seen that WoB before; Thank you.  People like you (who correct me when I'm mistaken) are a big part of why I still feel compelled to post on this board after all these years.  My previous understanding was that the "code-monkey" was going to be era-4 in the sci-fi/distant future era, which is obviously incorrect.

#Respect

Clarification #2 You've dropped a few tidbits about the plot of the next Mistborn series over the years. Putting all those things together, we have a necrosil Ferring Terriswoman hacker recruited for fieldwork in an "Allomancer SWAT team" to chase a Mistborn serial killer. Could you give us a more recent and concise pitch/blurb if the above is no longer accurate?

2) Ha. That's not far off, as all of those things still exist in the series, though the weight I'll give them is relative. With the Alloy series covering some of the police procedural aspect of storytelling, I'm inching the outlines slowly away from the SWAT idea and toward more spy thriller--but the SWAT team isn't not gone completely. (Of course, who knows what will happen in the intervening years between now and when I write it.)

October 4th, 2016.

• Chaos locked this topic