Spiderman Homecoming

Sami

Potential Spiderman Homecoming Spoilers

So I went to see Spiderman Homecoming and I really loved it, but I know a lot of people were disappointed by it for this-or-that, and also for the reason that Zendaya didn't have a big part in it and she was expected to have a big role. How do you feel about Tom Holland as Peter Parker, what did you like/dislike about the movie, (and did anyone see the after-credit scene?) :D

Edited by Sami

• 2 weeks later...
On July 12, 2017 at 8:13 AM, Sami said:

Potential Spiderman Homecoming Spoilers

So I went to see Spiderman Homecoming and I really loved it, but I know a lot of people were disappointed by it for this-or-that, and also for the reason that Zendaya didn't have a big part in it and she was expected to have a big role. How do you feel about Tom Holland as Peter Parker, what did you like/dislike about the movie, (and did anyone see the after-credit scene?) :D

*minor spoilers*

I loved it too. I'm not a huge Marvel fan, but I don't dislike their movies either. I really like Peter Parker's character, and his humor, and I liked how Tom Holland portrayed him. I think Zendaya is going to have a bigger part in the movies yet to come, now that Liz is out of the way, because Mary Jane is Peter's love interest in the comics. I saw the after-credit scene, and I'm glad I did, because the conflict it clears up is pretty important. 

I read an article about how some people were really annoyed that Mary Jane is being played by Zendaya, simply because she's black. Ugh, people. She's a good actor, live with it. Anyway, that was a mini-rant. Suffice to say, I loved the movie. 

I say this had to be the best Spidey film ever. I was surprised at how much more mature the language got 

Spoiler

And the precision f-bomb cut at the end!

and hearing the old school Spider-Man theme song at the beginning was great.

22 minutes ago, Contessa said:

I read an article about how some people were really annoyed that Mary Jane is being played by Zendaya, simply because she's black. Ugh, people. She's a good actor, live with it. Anyway, that was a mini-rant. Suffice to say, I loved the movie. 

Funnily the complaints I had heard was because she didn't have the red hair. Also despite being called MJ she isn't supposed to be Mary Jane but a different character altogether, at least that's what the BTS folks are saying. Hadn't seen her in anything before and I thought she was fun being sarcastic and looking disinterested in everything but actually isn't

2 minutes ago, Draginon said:

I say this had to be the best Spidey film ever. I was surprised at how much more mature the language got 

Reveal hidden contents

And the precision f-bomb cut at the end!

and hearing the old school Spider-Man theme song at the beginning was great.

Funnily the complaints I had heard was because she didn't have the red hair. Also despite being called MJ she isn't supposed to be Mary Jane but a different character altogether, at least that's what the BTS folks are saying. Hadn't seen her in anything before and I thought she was fun being sarcastic and looking disinterested in everything but actually isn't

I agree about the theme song. 

I feel like in the comics she is called MJ as a nickname, but Zendaya's character is obviously very different from the original. 

Completely random side question of a new Sharder: how do you only quote part of a previous comment, rather than the whole thing?

1 minute ago, Contessa said:

I agree about the theme song. 

I feel like in the comics she is called MJ as a nickname, but Zendaya's character is obviously very different from the original. 

Completely random side question of a new Sharder: how do you only quote part of a previous comment, rather than the whole thing?

And the only reason it's MJ here is that her name is Michelle Jones.

To quote part of a quote you click in the selected quote and erase the parts you don't want. I'm a new Sharder as well so happy to help.

I wasn't the biggest fan of Tobey McGuire and Andrew Garfield. I feel like they made him too dorky and clever rather than just a normal high school kid. Tom Holland makes Peter Parker so much more relatable.

I saw it yesterday, and I loved it. Better than Wonder Woman (which is also great), but not as great as Guardians (which is still the best).

Tom Holland was great, and the side characters were awesome too. Ned and Liz were cool, but Zendaya and the Vulture were the stars for me. Those two were awesome. The Vulture is the best MCU villain, no contest.

I thought it was really good, I think I was overhyped a little bit because my family was so excited (our last name is Parker so we always get a little extra invested in Spider Man :P).  MJ was really funny, Ned also made me laugh a lot.

Spoiler

The fact that Liz's dad was Vulture was a crazy plot twist that I did NOT see coming, I thought that was a really cool effect of making Peter Parker a teenager rather than basically an adult.  It shows much more how out of his league he really is.

I really liked the Amazing Spider Man movies, but I do like the way a lot of things were done in this one better. :)  Probably would have been extra great if all the cool scenes weren't already in the previews, but oh well.

9 hours ago, Taliax said:

I think I was overhyped a little bit because my family was so excited (our last name is Parker so we always get a little extra invested in Spider Man :P).  

That's so awesome! Do you have a brother called Peter? *hopeful grin*

1 hour ago, Sami said:

That's so awesome! Do you have a brother called Peter? *hopeful grin*

Me and my Dad wanted to name my brother Peter, unfortunately we didn't get to, Mom disagreed with that idea :P  (I was 10 and really wanted them to name him Peter Pan Parker, probably because I was a terrible person XD)

8 hours ago, Taliax said:

Me and my Dad wanted to name my brother Peter, unfortunately we didn't get to, Mom disagreed with that idea :P  (I was 10 and really wanted them to name him Peter Pan Parker, probably because I was a terrible person XD)

That's sad that your mom vetoed the idea. Did she have a brother named Ben and didn't want to take any chances?

51 minutes ago, Draginon said:

That's sad that your mom vetoed the idea. Did she have a brother named Ben and didn't want to take any chances?

Haha XD She has a brother named Brandon which I guess is kind of close, if you stretch really hard? Or maybe it was just because Spider Man's parents are already dead too?

10 minutes ago, Taliax said:

Haha XD She has a brother named Brandon which I guess is kind of close, if you stretch really hard? Or maybe it was just because Spider Man's parents are already dead too?

Brandon?!!!!!! that is awesome what about Steve? Rogers? Tony? Kaladin?

Would you name your kid Kaladin?

Edited by Sami

1 hour ago, Sami said:

Brandon?!!!!!! that is awesome what about Steve? Rogers? Tony? Kaladin?

Would you name your kid Kaladin?

Lol as much as I would want to I would probably feel like I was dooming my kid to a life of teasing if I named him Kaladin XD (Unless maybe he could just go by Kal then it might be fine :P)

16 hours ago, Taliax said:

I haven't read any of the comics but are his parents usually dead or he's just living with Ben & May because his parents doing things overseas and want him to have a normal childhood?

14 hours ago, Taliax said:

Lol as much as I would want to I would probably feel like I was dooming my kid to a life of teasing if I named him Kaladin XD (Unless maybe he could just go by Kal then it might be fine :P)

Kaladin is pretty tame compared to some other names out there like the fruit names and the flowery names or even the dumb pun names (like North West)

You know how many times I've thought of when I get kids to name them after characters I like?

2 hours ago, Draginon said:

Kaladin is pretty tame compared to some other names out there like the fruit names and the flowery names or even the dumb pun names (like North West)

Good point :wacko: there are some pretty strange names out there. But who would name their kid North West?

(BTW, anyone hyped for Infinity War?)

Edited by Sami

24 minutes ago, Sami said:

Good point :wacko: there are some pretty strange names out there. But who would name their kid North West?

(BTW, anyone hyped for Infinity War?)

I had half expected them to name their son South when they announced she was pregnant again.

Who isn't?

20 hours ago, Draginon said:

You know how many times I've thought of when I get kids to name them after characters I like?

That's very true haha.  Especially since I'll be living in Utah for a while and Utah has a stereotype of people naming their kids crazy things (though I can't claim to know how accurate that stereotype is).

I would be very likely to at least give my kids middle names of characters I like, though I suppose that all depends on how much I can convince my future husband :P

As much as I love dumb puns, I feel so bad for people who have to live with them as names.

2 hours ago, Taliax said:

That's very true haha.  Especially since I'll be living in Utah for a while and Utah has a stereotype of people naming their kids crazy things (though I can't claim to know how accurate that stereotype is).

I would be very likely to at least give my kids middle names of characters I like, though I suppose that all depends on how much I can convince my future husband :P

As much as I love dumb puns, I feel so bad for people who have to live with them as names.

All I really know about Utah amounts to: mormons, a salt lake and home of the greatest writer ever.

You could always strongarm him or do the old "heads I win, tails you lose" trick to get your way.

I like pun names as well, but only in fiction like Ace Attorney