Net Neutrality bill is in 2 days

mattig89ch

Hidy ho all,

a few years back, we were able to keep the internet free for everyone.  But it seems that ISP's are trying to make it legal to allow them to regulate what we can see, hear, and who we can talk to.  They are doing this, but trying to pass legislation through congress again.  The vote comes up on July 14th (2 days from posting).  Please don't let them control everything we can gain access to online.

This is a video that explains what net neutrality is, why its bad, and provides some helpful links in the description: https://youtu.be/K88BU3kjZ-c .

If you believe as I do, that we need to keep the internet free of control, and limitations, please follow the links below the video.

Thank you for your time.

john oliver did a great piece on it as well , you can see it here 

i generaly pride myself on being sceptical of everithing and trying to see the viewpoints of both sides , but this is one of these rare ocasions that i am unable to see why anyone other than the distributors themselves would aprove of it or find it beneficial.

ps i am contacting an admin just to be sure that the subject will stay civil or if this thread should exist

Call me cynical, but the current political climate, and the level of money from communications companies allowed through legal corruption... Excuse me, "lobbying," and the pro-business anti-regulatory attitudes prevelant on the republican side, mixed with the fact that the media is all Trump all the time, mean that the vast majority of people don't realize those is happening. Unlike last time, there's no huge uproar. 

I will be very happy, but very shocked if it fails this time. 

Is this thing being shown on popular news channels (esp. conservative ones like Fox) ? 

Because, I have a friend who (unfortunately) thinks Breitbart and The Rebel are valid news sources. For some time, she didn't even consider net neutrality to be worth consideration. I told her that if TV news doesn't cover it, then you've USA Today, NY Times, reporting about it. But she is against those, and questioned their validity. I said, that reddit is all over it today, but she says that reddit is extremely liberal (I agree with that one, except that extremely part ) My point is this:

Is there any way for me to maker her understand the importance of this issue ?

P.S. I am not an American, so I am ignorant about how an average american feels about these issues.

Obviously the thread can exist, and it will stay civil.

Net neutrality is extremely important. This is not political: it is making sure that everyone on the internet has an equal field of access. As a creator of this site, I obviously find this very important.

Edited by Chaos

• Chaos changed the title to Net Neutrality bill is in 2 days
1 hour ago, Hood said:

Is this thing being shown on popular news channels (esp. conservative ones like Fox) ? 

Because, I have a friend who (unfortunately) thinks Breitbart and The Rebel are valid news sources. For some time, she didn't even consider net neutrality to be worth consideration. I told her that if TV news doesn't cover it, then you've USA Today, NY Times, reporting about it. But she is against those, and questioned their validity. I said, that reddit is all over it today, but she says that reddit is extremely liberal (I agree with that one, except that extremely part ) My point is this:

Is there any way for me to maker her understand the importance of this issue ?

P.S. I am not an American, so I am ignorant about how an average american feels about these issues.

Send her this Vihart video:

Spoiler

She does an awesome job of explaining why net neutrality matters. (Also, I'm freaking out Vihart posted. This is like, a once a year occurence)

Edited by The Honor Spren

41 minutes ago, The Honor Spren said:

Send her this Vihart video:

Hide contents

She does an awesome job of explaining why net neutrality matters. (Also, I'm freaking out Vihart posted. This is like, a once a year occurence)

This is a good video. The fact that I can't detect any solid political leanings speaks very highly to its quality. 

On the one hand I instinctively mistrust government regulations. On the other hand, corporate monopolies are just as bad. 

So...I'm gonna just head back to the theories thread where I can solve my problems with Hemalurgy. 

5 hours ago, Scriptorian said:

This is a good video. The fact that I can't detect any solid political leanings speaks very highly to its quality. 

On the one hand I instinctively mistrust government regulations. On the other hand, corporate monopolies are just as bad. 

So...I'm gonna just head back to the theories thread where I can solve my problems with Hemalurgy. 

Or Steeldancing :ph34r:

I just filed my comment in support of Net Neutrality and I urge everyone else to do the same. You can comment here (where 7 million people have already commented) by clicking +Express in the left column. This is an apolitical issue. These regulations particularly protect those that live in places where there is only one ISP. With a total and complete lack of competition, those ISPs can basically do whatever they want and force their customers to go along with it or not have internet at all, due to the lack of a second option.

• Chaos locked this topic