Iriali and the Long Trail

Extesian

2 hours ago, Stark said:

I completely missed you thread, and began speculating elsewhere about this very topic due too some Oathbringer info:

Reveal hidden contents

Relevant quotes Oathbringer Chapter 36, Hero.  A Dalinar flashback with Evi of the Irali.  She drops a few lines that, to me, point to some idiom that may help ID previous planets.  Namely Scadrial and Nalthis.  The third planet may have hintsbased on some phrasing and Part 2 epigraphs.

excellent! I'm glad for any speculation on the iriali. They're so very cool

I feel like everyone is too focused on figuring out who/what The One is, rather than the actual purpose (Intent) of why The One "broke apart."

The legend of The One is most likely (in my opinion) to be a simple misunderstanding of how Investiture works. They are all Invested by the same Shard, so when they die that Investiture returns to the Shard. Pretty easy to see how that could evolve over time into being part of one consciousness, as it isn't terribly far off from the truth.

What we need to focus on is the purpose, as Intent is so important to the Cosmere. So why did The One allegedly break apart? To send its people to experience life on 7 different worlds.

The purpose/Intent is to experience. The Shard is called Experience

• 5 months later...

Apologies for the topic necromancy but (for once) I didn't see this mentioned anywhere as an idea and got excited enough to finally register and post it :)

In short -- in the new short story Brandon read (the Traveler) Frost the dragon is described as having silver, metallic eyes. A lot of discussion here has been concentrated on the Iriali/Rira colors being metallic gold rather than just blond. Don't you guys think this is a link for some possible dragon descent, or at least pointing to Yolen being the original home for the people on the Long Trail (hence giving credence to Adonalsium being the One in Iriali religion)?

• 3 months later...

Speaking of Nalthis, I could be wrong but doesn’t Renarin’s name seem like a weird attempt to combine the Nalthis double consonants mentioned here (and the Vorin near symmetry? And because of the misshapen attempt at cultural fusion it comes out sound weird? Let me know what you think?

EDIT: I was wrong. Reread the scene as I probably should have done to begin with. WAY of base here.

Edited by animalia

"At least you got to it quickly. Today we will not need to scrub the walls, and the life will be as white as a sun in the night!"

Evi's native idioms didn't always translate well into Alethi.

Okay, that's pretty much a perfect match for Taldain.  Taldain actually has 2 suns, the large center one which shines on dayside and a

"weak white dwarf that, enveloped in a particulate ring, is barely visible from the dark side of the planet." - Arcanum Unbound

So everything about Evi's idiom is a perfect match for a Taldain Darkside resident ("white", "a sun", "sun in the night").  A couple other pieces from the Taldain System Introduction seem to suggest it as an extremely likely possibility:

"Dayside is home of two prominent cultures, while Darkside is more hospitable and varied."

"Autonomy's policy of isolationism in recent times (in direct contrast to her interference with other planets, I might add) has prevented travel to and from Taldain for many, many years."

I mention the first point about cultural variance as physically Khriss (our only other known Darksider) bears little physical resemblance to the Iriali.  The second part is interesting because it implies many things: Autonomy prevents travel to Taldain currently, Autonomy interferes with other planets, and most importantly the "many years" implies that there was a point in the past when travel to-and-from Taldain occurred.  

I also think Scadrial was a stopping point on the long trail.  Specifically I think the ancient Nelazan people https://coppermind.net/wiki/Nelazan with their religion of Trelagism were previously Darksiders from Taldain.  

They were located in the far north, experiencing the effects of axial tilt meaning their summer days and winter nights were very long.  Their living to the far north where the days and nights were very long would be very appropriate for expats from the planet with endless days or nights.  Also their faith of Trelagism has been noted by many fans to have a strong link to the day/night imagery of the Taldain system:

Trelagists believed that night was sacred and daylight was profane. During the night, Trelagists were able to see the Thousand Eyes of Trell (the stars) watching over them, but during the day, Nalt, jealous of the worship given to his brother, would shine his single eye (the sun) on the land, blocking Trelagists from seeing Trell's eyes.

Even more interesting is how closely this relates to the Dualistic beliefs of the Purelakers' Nu Ralak/Vun Makak duo (Brandon has noted the Purelake region is from the same language family as Iri/Rira).

• Chaos locked this topic