Cosmere Religion IRL

So I've felt kind of lost spiritually lately, and I'm seriously considering just becoming a Pathian, working in a little bit of Survivorist and Korathi ideology as well, because honestly, I think Sazed would approve of looking for the good stuff in various traditions. Has anyone else ever considered applying religious ideas from the cosmere in real life?

14 minutes ago, NewbSombrero said:

So I've felt kind of lost spiritually lately, and I'm seriously considering just becoming a Pathian, working in a little bit of Survivorist and Korathi ideology as well, because honestly, I think Sazed would approve of looking for the good stuff in various traditions. Has anyone else ever considered applying religious ideas from the cosmere in real life?

I think that 15 minutes a day to pray/meditate is a great idea no matter your beliefs. I would not recommend embracing Sliverism and Trellismn though...

the tenets of pathism and survivorism are described in the mistborn adventure game, which I got as part of a humble bundle. I have to say they are pretty strong religions. I'm not a religious person, but survivorism, with its emphasis on independence and self-reliance, suits me very well. there is a part that goes something like "it is good to help others, if they ask, but unless they ask expect them to be able to handle themselves". This is how I behave. I have a lot of trust in other people's ability to ask help if they need to, and I am annoyed by well-intentioned unwelcome meddling. In general, except for going to religious services, I pretty much follow survivorism already.

pathism is also nice, but it is really poorly defined. it merely says to do good and meditate, which can be interpreted many ways. in fact, one could follow pathism and another religion at the same time without conflict. I don't do any "scheduled" meditation, but I frequently ponder philosophical questions, so... maybe I can be said to also follow the path?

Well, either way, they are good religions.

sliverism instead is pretty bad, much worse than one could suppose from the novels. it says that the lord ruler will come back and rule with an iron fist again and those who remained faithful to him will be exalted over others. it completely glosses over all the development with ruin and harmony. which is good, because ironeyes can just give orders to sliverists and let harmony manipulate them.

8 minutes ago, king of nowhere said:

sliverism instead is pretty bad, much worse than one could suppose from the novels. it says that the lord ruler will come back and rule with an iron fist again and those who remained faithful to him will be exalted over others. 

Sounds a lot like Death Eaters....

I've got a religion already, but I have found that Realmatic Theory is a fairly good tool for expressing various things in real life.  (e.g. I feel more affinity to the Spiritual and Cognitive realms than the Physical.)

27 minutes ago, Toaster Retribution said:

I dont really understand what you mean, to be honest. That you are going to live after the principles of Cosmere religions, and follow their moral teachings? I doubt that you plan to start worshipping fictional characters, but on the extreme off-chance that you do, I would advise against it.

Basically just grabbing onto some of that framework to build on, honestly. Harmony seems as good as symbol for low intervention deity as any, so while I'm definitely not talking about literally worshiping Sazed, but the way Pathians in the books talk about him line up pretty well with some of my current thoughts on deity, so I see no problem in picking up some of the lingo.

1 hour ago, Toaster Retribution said:

I dont really understand what you mean, to be honest. That you are going to live after the principles of Cosmere religions, and follow their moral teachings? I doubt that you plan to start worshipping fictional characters, but on the extreme off-chance that you do, I would advise against it.

I don't think anyone is going metaphysical here, but there are good life philosophies to be found in fiction. Look, after "the big lebowski" came out, some people created "dudeism", and it has a few hundred thousands adepts worldwide. Incidentally, as

Dudeism advocates and encourages the practice of "going with the flow", "being cool headed", and "taking it easy" in the face of life's difficulties, believing that this is the only way to live in harmony with our inner nature and the challenges of interacting with other people. It also aims to assuage feelings of inadequacy that arise in societies which place a heavy emphasis on achievement and personal fortune. Consequently, simple everyday pleasures like bathing, bowling, and hanging out with friends are seen as far preferable to the accumulation of wealth and the spending of money as a means to achieve happiness and spiritual fulfillment.

I happen to share a good bunch of values with that particular "religion" too.

I don't really accept any modern religion in its entirety, but do believe in some sort of low-intervention deity like @NewbSombrero mentioned Sazed as being. Both Survivorism and Pathism have some good core values and moral ideations which worked well for me when applied to my mostly structureless belief. (Honestly, my beliefs were basically: Hey, I guess there's some higher power out there, but it probably just prefers to leave us to our own devices most of the time.) 

I think the most beautiful fictional religion is that of Ym. For those who don't remember it

"He believes, long ago, there was only one being which he simply calls One. One knew everything but had experienced nothing. And so One became Many in order to experience all things. As each experience is different, it brings completeness to One. Eventually, all will be gathered back in when the sum of land is attained and they will once again become One. Every person is a different mind of a single being experiencing different lives. As Many, they need ignorance. Each fragment of the One’s mind has its own body with different passions and inclinations. They exist in variety to experience all kinds of thought. That means some people must know and others must not. Just like some people must be rich and others poor. This is why he is interested in collecting other people's experiences."

59 minutes ago, Extesian said:

I think the most beautiful fictional religion is that of Ym. For those who don't remember it

"He believes, long ago, there was only one being which he simply calls One. One knew everything but had experienced nothing. And so One became Many in order to experience all things. As each experience is different, it brings completeness to One. Eventually, all will be gathered back in when the sum of land is attained and they will once again become One. Every person is a different mind of a single being experiencing different lives. As Many, they need ignorance. Each fragment of the One’s mind has its own body with different passions and inclinations. They exist in variety to experience all kinds of thought. That means some people must know and others must not. Just like some people must be rich and others poor. This is why he is interested in collecting other people's experiences."

"One knew everything but had experienced nothing". That line blew me away. Will probably be thinking of the deeper meanings of this line for a couple days now haha. 

7 hours ago, Ammanas said:

I think that 15 minutes a day to pray/meditate is a great idea no matter your beliefs. I would not recommend embracing Sliverism and Trellismn though...

I also agree with this. Being in the military, life sometimes gets hectic. Would've been gone ballistic if I didn't take like 10 minutes after work to just sit quietly and reflect. Highly recommend it for everyone, especially for people that have stressful/chaotic jobs.   

• Chaos locked this topic