Top 10 theories going into Oathbringer

bdoble97

46 minutes ago, The One Who Connects said:

Venli is Eshonai's older sister. The researcher who discovered Stormform. Presumably, she survived the Battle of Narak, because villain set-up.
I don't actually have a name for the general you are thinking of, but it wasn't Venli. Thude perhaps?
Rlain was a former spy in the Warcamps yes, but he's made it to KR Squire status already, so who knows.

I brought them both up because if Venli is back in Eshonai's book, Eshonai has better odds of being a Radiant so Brandon can set up another "Kaladin v Szeth-esque" scenario between the two. Otherwise, Rlain is a good candidate.

Yes her sister. Her mother escaped to that General that I was speaking about. It would be interesting if she can shed some light on Eshonai. I remmber really hoping that Rlain would become a bigger character in Oathbringer it after rereading WOR. Is book 4 suposes to be Eshonais flashback book.  Haha dont even want to think about book 4 yet Oathbringer is going ro be so epic. I wish it could 2000 pgs long

18 minutes ago, The One Who Connects said:

We don't actually know, but it seems quite likely. He's done a male/female book focus pattern so far, so it'd make sense.

She's a very interesting character and really looking forward to seeing her back story. I also want to see it official painting or picture of her and the Parshedi themselves. 

1.  Dalinar entrusts Jezrien's Honorblade to Adolin to make up for him not being a Radiant.  

2.  No highspren will bond Szeth because he holds an abomination beyond even dead Shardblades (Nightblood).  

3.  Nale goes to Urithuru to meet up with Dalinar and his group of Radiants, and ends up exposing Adolin as a murderer (which by Alethi law, he is).  Adolin is exiled.  

4.  The Stone Shamans repeatedly attack Dalinar's party in an attempt to retrieve Jezrien's Honorblade.  

5.  Shallan and Kaladin are confused about their feelings, but neither openly says anything.

6. Towards the climax, Adolin returns to the Alethi group and marries Shallan.  He dies in combat, leaving Shallan confused and Kaladin conflicted about what to do with Shallan.

7.  Epic fight scene between Zarel and a Nightblood-wielding Szeth.  

8.  Dalinar was only able to become a good person because he had forgotten his wife.

9.  Aesudan is revealed to be a Ghostblood.

10.  Elhokar grows in self-awareness, and decides to abdicate, leaving Dalinar as king (which confirms to Taravangian that Dalinar is a rival and a threat).  He progresses towards becoming a Lightweaver.

Edited by NinjaAlligators
Said Jasnah, meant Shallan.

@NinjaAlligators  Dalinar giving the honor blade to Adolin is cool. But I cant see Adolin just changing swords I would like to see him keep his shardblade due to the fact I really want him to awake the spren. 

Szeth is never gwrring a spren in my opinion so I agree with on that but why do people say knightblood is such and abomination. 

Spoiler

I've only read warbreaker once but I don't remember them saying it was a complete abomination it was just very rare and they never truly explain how the sword was created just something to do with killing Vasher/Zahel wife right. I love the way the sword talkes  

Nale showing up Im not %100 behind. I do think the truth of Adins actions will be unveiled but I would like it to be done in a detective type way someone's slowly putting the clues together. I guess that could be Nale. 

I dont want Jasnah and Kaladin to have a thing. I really want some how for Syl to gain a physical form in her in Kaladin fall in love I think that would be really cool if they had an offspring's it could be a new species.

Szeth vs. Zahel would be epic somebody else mentioned Vivian showing up this would be a great point for her to show up. 

Im not sure about the rest bit great ideas love reading them. 

7 minutes ago, NinjaAlligators said:

9.  Aesudan is revealed to be a Ghostblood.

I like this one, if only for the potential it brings up in the back 5 books with her son.
That said, I must disagree. The Ghostbloods believe Dalinar left Bordin in Kholinar to keep tabs on Aesudan. Aesudan seems unhinged enough that her throwing Bordin out for something minor wouldn't be unreasonable. I feel that the Ghostbloods would have made a move to that end by now if she were part of their game.

1. We get a Jezrien appearance.

2. Szeth stops following Naln. 

3. Dalinar and or Kaladin find out Taln is(or was) a Herald. 

4. Odium will have his first on-screen scene

5. Someone important will die for good. Thinking either Renarin or Adolin.

6. Jasnah and Kaladin meet, but only briefly. 

7. Kaladin will travel to Shadesmar

8. We'll find out what Shardplate is

9. Kaladin's parents will be dead or sold to slavery. 

10. The final climax scene will be two of the main protagonists fighting (suuuuuper long shot).  

8 hours ago, Kered said:

2. Szeth stops following Naln. 

3. Dalinar and or Kaladin find out Taln is(or was) a Herald. 

5. Someone important will die for good. Thinking either Renarin or Adolin.

6. Jasnah and Kaladin meet, but only briefly. 

10. The final climax scene will be two of the main protagonists fighting (suuuuuper long shot).  

I love some of your points I really hope adolin doesn't die but I don't want his brother to either. I see Renain being a big part in the second five books

Kaladin traveling to shadeshamer never even thought of that. What will Syl look like there she's one of my favorite characters. I think I'm the only one that wants this but I want her and kaladin to end up together eventually maybe when she's in Shadesmare  she can gain a physical form

. Kaadins  parents sold into slavery would be a really interesting storyline guy never seems to get a break

12 hours ago, The One Who Connects said:

I like this one, if only for the potential it brings up in the back 5 books with her son.
That said, I must disagree. The Ghostbloods believe Dalinar left Bordin in Kholinar to keep tabs on Aesudan. Aesudan seems unhinged enough that her throwing Bordin out for something minor wouldn't be unreasonable. I feel that the Ghostbloods would have made a move to that end by now if she were part of their game.

I agree, she is no Ghostblood. Instead, I guess she is one of the Sons of Honor. Either way, safe bet is that we will learn more about her.

These are all awesome! I've picked my faves though -

12 hours ago, NinjaAlligators said:

10.  Elhokar grows in self-awareness, and decides to abdicate, leaving Dalinar as king (which confirms to Taravangian that Dalinar is a rival and a threat).  He progresses towards becoming a Lightweaver.

This is such an interesting idea, one I would love to see.

12 hours ago, bdoble97 said:

I dont want Jasnah and Kaladin to have a thing. I really want some how for Syl to gain a physical form in her in Kaladin fall in love I think that would be really cool if they had an offspring's it could be a new species.

Yes. Very cool.

9 hours ago, Kered said:

These are all brilliant.

Give me MOAR!

1 hour ago, bdoble97 said:

I love some of your points I really hope adolin doesn't die but I don't want his brother to either. I see Renain being a big part in the second five books

Kaladin traveling to shadeshamer never even thought of that. What will Syl look like there she's one of my favorite characters. I think I'm the only one that wants this but I want her and kaladin to end up together eventually maybe when she's in Shadesmare  she can gain a physical form

. Kaadins  parents sold into slavery would be a really interesting storyline guy never seems to get a break

I just have a gut feelings it's going to be one of them. It would create the conflict then eventual resolution of Dalinar finding his next oath. 

26 minutes ago, Kered said:

I just have a gut feelings it's going to be one of them. It would create the conflict then eventual resolution of Dalinar finding his next oath. 

As a father myself of 3 sone to be 4 daughts if one of my kids died I go batshit crazy. He could regress just become the Blackthorn again for a period of time in the book

The Everstorm has come, Voidbringers are popping up in just about every worst location you could think of.  What is the worst case scenario from here?

My thoughts:

- I think the high storms are a "helping hand" from the higher powers.  I don't think they can interfere much but the storms provide power to use shards, power for light in the darkness, and use in magic.   It has given humans a good fighting advantage so far in the books.  

Now on the otherhand, I feel the Everstorm will take away that power.

“They take away the light, wherever they lurk. Skin that is burned.”

Even their names "Voidbringers" hints that they will bring darkness of some sort, or you can interpret "Void" as the lack of substance/ Lack of stormlight.   I feel like this would be the next stone that hits.    

10. Sons of Honor are led (or were founded) by an Herald in incognito: I guess Jezrien.*

09. Rysn will attract a Radiant Spren: Willshaper, most likely.

08. Adolin will have a very rough time and will break with Shallan. He will move his first steps toward becoming a KR.

07. Vivenna is looking for Vasher and Nightblood with no success, so far. She will meet with Adolin.

06. Dalinar killed his wife: his boon was to forget her.

05. SPOILER Edgedancer

Spoiler

Sword-nimi will reveal his name to Szeth.

04. In the "Epilogue" Wit will meet Eshonai (so far, he met people involved in the "Prelude" or "Prologue" so I think this symmetry will be preserved).

03. Dalinar will become increasingly obsessed with his (difficult) duty to unite Roshar, neglecting what happens around him (mostly involving Adolin and Renarin). He will seriously consider to unleash the Blackthorn to accomplish this task but, in the end, he will find the right way.

02. Taravangian will capture an Unmade (probably Moelach).

01. SPOILER Edgedancer

Spoiler

Nale (and Szeth) will have a confront with Ishar: we discover that the misleading isn't a treacherous act but the result of Ishar's Madness.

*Very farfetched: I put it just for fun.

Edited by Rhaegar'Elin

@Rhaegar'ElinDo do you think Dalinar killing his wife would be a crime of passion because it seems like he was very passionate in his younger years and still is. I really dislike that idea of him killinh his wife. But I vaguely remember Sanderson the saying that we will find things out about Dalinars past that we wont like. 

Vivian has to show up in this book in my opinion if knightblood and Vasher are she got to be around I wounder how old she is now.

Wit and Eshonia would be great. I think he would frustrate the hell out of her. 

I think Adolin and Shallan stay togethers. And he confides in her his secret which only strengthens their bond together. Shallan has haf plenty of secrets in her past as well.

19 minutes ago, bdoble97 said:

@Rhaegar'ElinDo do you think Dalinar killing his wife would be a crime of passion because it seems like he was very passionate in his younger years and still is. I really dislike that idea of him killinh his wife. But I vaguely remember Sanderson the saying that we will find things out about Dalinars past that we wont like. 

Within The Thrill, I found things about Dalinar's past I did not like which is fueling most of my "Dalinar isn't a good person" discussions lately. I am keen to find out if there is more.

25 minutes ago, bdoble97 said:

I don't think Dalinar loved his wife so much to commit a passion crime: I think she gets (involuntary) killed while trying to stop Dalinar from murdering his brother... or killed in a fit of rage while confronting his husband on his intention of killing Gavilar.

IIRC, Dalinar visited the Nightwatcher after trying to kill his own brother, though I don't know if his wife's death could fit the timeline.

11 minutes ago, maxal said:

Within The Thrill, I found things about Dalinar's past I did not like which is fueling most of my "Dalinar isn't a good person" discussions lately. I am keen to find out if there is more.

He wasn't a good person, I won't discuss that: he was obsessed with battle and was ready to kill everybody (even his own brother) who stood between him and what he wanted. But, NOW, he is a very different person and I think is a bit unfair judging him for what he did (or was willing to do) in the past because people can change.

True, he is still too rigid and over confident in "him being always right"... and he won't win a prize as "Father of the Year" (for how he treats Adolin, at least). However, he's really trying to be better of how he was and to be honorable even in the face of a Desolation: I honestly don't think that, now, he isn't a good person.

I mean, he could go full Taravangian or Gavilar to unite Roshar but I'm sure he will find out a more honorable (more "Journey before Destination") path to follow and, in the end, he will discover he is much better than the brother he used to idolize XD

On 7/14/2017 at 10:54 AM, NinjaAlligators said:

Elhokar is the only reason why Alethkar remained united in the first place (as Gavilar's heir). Remeber, Taravangian WANTED Dalinar to assume control, and he only sent Szeth after him when it became clear he wouldn't. 

The other Highprinces are unlikely to follow Dalinar's lead unless he forces them to (which he is in a position to do since he secured Urithiru). Also, consider the Vorin Church, which has labelled the KRs as traitors. They are unlikely to cooperate with Dalinar, who has refounded the KRs. And since they control most of the Alethkars Soulcasters, this will cause major problems.

It's much more likely that Elhokar remains king, and Dalinar rules from behind him, which is how they have operated for the most part in the past. 

I don't see Elhokar becoming a KR anyway, he just doesn't seem to have any qualities which would make a Spren bond him. They might have investigated him due to his powerful position and association with other KR or proto-surgebinders (Dalinar, Gavilar and Jasnah), but they might have rejected him as a candidate. Besides, I don't want all our characters becoming KRs. Thats just too one sided for me. 

Lot of great theories so far,well these are mine

1. Kaladin meets Laral, faces Roshone,becomes the hero of hearthstone,unfortunately one of his parents are dead(his mother,I think) meets Eshonai and they become best buds.

2. Shallan goes down a darker path struggling to decide who she is,shallan or veil.She hates pattern and begins to suffer from the Kaladin syndrome.

3. Dalinar gets mad at Adolin,meets Taravangian and teams up with him(Taravangian has a sinister plan of killing him again,without making things too obvious) 

4. Renarin gains more control over his powers

5. Adolin leaves Urithiru angry that Dalinar doesn't understand him,and becomes an assasin,teaming up with Liss.

6. Jasnah plays an important role defending Kholinar and revealing many things she learned in the cognitive realm,she realizes that Kal is a somewhat different radiant and so her scholarly mind goes into overdrive.

7. The Lopen gets his own pov

22 hours ago, Matrim said:

We have WoB or something that says Rlain reached squire level?

I'm misquoting a different WoB. We don't know if he has yet. However, we know that he can.

Brandon Sanderson

Historically, the Parshendi were not made Knights Radiant, or the parshmen weren't.

Question

Can they become squires maybe?

Brandon Sanderson

Historically they did not, but it's not impossible.

20 hours ago, Rhaegar'Elin said:

09. Rysn will attract a Radiant Spren: Willshaper, most likely.
07. Vivenna is looking for Vasher and Nightblood with no success, so far. She will meet with Adolin.
01. SPOILER Edgedancer

Hide contents

Nale (and Szeth) will have a confront with Ishar: we discover that the misleading isn't a treacherous act but the result of Ishar's Madness.

9. I'll plug my Lanceryn theory again, which would make Rysn another character who doesn't need to be a KR. I won't say that she won't become one, and Willshaper is a good pick, but I've gotten a bit jaded towards the "everybody and their mother becomes a KR" craze recently.
7. Vivienna and Adolin would be an interesting conversation. The moment when Adolin realizes just what that implies "Zahel" is could be great.
1. You have no idea how happy I am that someone else thinks the same way about his "actions."

11 hours ago, TheLordRuler said:

Consider the Vorin Church, which has labelled the KR as traitors. They are unlikely to cooperate with Dalinar, who has re-founded the KR.

That is gonna go one of 3 ways. Either they blame the Desolation on Dalinar and the KR, or they accept the help that they can get. Option 3 is both: they reject them, but then Amaram and Taln show up. The Herald of War himself showing up is gonna cause a stir either way, may as well let someone direct that stir.

24 minutes ago, The One Who Connects said:

That is gonna go one of 3 ways. Either they blame the Desolation on Dalinar and the KR, or they accept the help that they can get. Option 3 is both: they reject them, but then Amaram and Taln show up. The Herald of War himself showing up is gonna cause a stir either way, may as well let someone direct that stir.

There is no guarantee that the church will accept Taln though. Dalinar, Elhokar and their ardents didn´t. I think it depends on how many of the leading ardents are allied with/belong to the Sons of Honor, alternatively how much they trust Amaram. Because as far as everyone knows, Taln could just be a random madman. 

Just now, Toaster Retribution said:

There is no guarantee that the church will accept Taln though. Dalinar, Elhokar and their Ardents didn't. I think it depends on how many of the leading Ardents are allied with/belong to the Sons of Honor, alternatively how much they trust Amaram. Because as far as everyone knows, Taln could just be a random madman. 

I think Brandon has said that we will know whether or not he is real Taln by the end of book 3, so I'm basing it off that. Personally, I've never really seen reason to doubt Taln within the books. Brandon's "maybe"s and "are you sure?"s mean little.

Key point is that Elhokar and Dalinar were debating before a Desolation. Combine Restare's SoH plants in the Ardentia, Amaram(a known SoH operative) bringing a Herald, and the Everstorm itself, and I think the rest of the Ardentia is gonna come around. If Kholinar is attacked, then Taln has a chance to prove his skills. Even without his Surges, I think he can still devastate a good chunk of the enemy with a common blade or warhammer, and Amaram certainly has the blind faith to let the "Great prince" use his Shardblade if he asks it of him.

13 hours ago, StormblessDave said:

Lot of great theories so far,well these are mine

1. Kaladin meets Laral, faces Roshone,becomes the hero of hearthstone,unfortunately one of his parents are dead(his mother,I think) meets Eshonai and they become best buds.

2. Shallan goes down a darker path struggling to decide who she is,shallan or veil.She hates pattern and begins to suffer from the Kaladin syndrome.

3. Dalinar gets mad at Adolin,meets Taravangian and teams up with him(Taravangian has a sinister plan of killing him again,without making things too obvious) 

4. Renarin gains more control over his powers

5. Adolin leaves Urithiru angry that Dalinar doesn't understand him,and becomes an assasin,teaming up with Liss.

6. Jasnah plays an important role defending Kholinar and revealing many things she learned in the cognitive realm,she realizes that Kal is a somewhat different radiant and so her scholarly mind goes into overdrive.

7. The Lopen gets his own pov

Kaladin being the hero of Roshone sounds good to me. I really dont want his mom to be dead. If one of them hase to be dead I rather see it be his father.

I can't disagree with you more about Shallan. About hating pattern but like the idea of her struggling to know who she truly is Shallan or Veail.

I realy want Renarin have more screen time in Oathbringer. 

I personally would hate to see Adolin become an assassin he's too important in my opinion in the overall story arc even though he's not a POV. He needes to right in the thick of it with his father

Right with you on Jasnah being a vig part in saving alot of places from the voidbringers.  I also hope we get a lot of Scholarly   time with Jasnah. I hope she knows so much more cool and interesting things from her time in shademare.

1 minute ago, bdoble97 said:

I personally would hate to see Adolin become an assassin he's too important in my opinion in the overall story arc even though he's not a POV. He needes to right in the thick of it with his father

Adolin is a POV character and he has nearly as many POV as Dalinar as well as an overall story arc which feels fuller, deeper. I definitely consider him to be one of the main characters.