Top 10 theories going into Oathbringer

bdoble97

As like all of you I'm eagerly anticipating oathbringer. It would be great to see a shardcast of them talking about their top 10 theories going into the book or even top five theories what do you guys think are the most likely scenarios to happen in the next book. 

1. Adloin awakes his shard blade.

2. Syl learns to take physical form.

3. Shallan lerns some badass old tec from the 

4. Szerh kills all of the guys that made him a truthless

5. Rock turns out to be more then he said he way.

6. Jasnah showing up and being a boss.

Edited by bdoble97

Here's mine:

1. A major part of the book will be Dalinar deciding whether or not to commit genocide against the Parshendi (to prevent them turning into storm form)

2. The Vorin church will make a major play for power

3. Tezim is a Dakhor monk

4.Dalinar made a decision that resulted in his first wifes death.

5. Kaladin will be unable to fight during the major showdown at the end of the book and someone else (or a team) will save the day.

Edited by Ammanas

Here are mine:

1) Adolin finds the name of his Blade. He does not reawaken it, not yet, but obvious signs will be seen this is where his story is going.

2) We find out Dalinar is responsible for his wife's death. Either he killed her himself or he is responsible for it happening. The truth comes out and it creates a rift in between him and Adolin. Renarin already knew. 

3) Dalinar's next oath is something he will learn from Adolin.

4) Renarin heals Adolin, at some point within the story, and it will the first time he actively tries to use his powers.

5) Kaladin sees the bad side of darkeyes while being involved within the revolution in Kholinar.

6) Kaladin wants to protect the Parshendis but realizes not all which seems helpless should be protected.

7) Shallan finds stuff within Urithiru.

8) Adolin breaks up with Shallan and, in response, Shallan becomes romantic with Kaladin. 

1. Kaladin's next oath (if it even happens in Oathbringer) will be about having to allow the people he leads the freedom to make their own choices (and how he is not responsible for the consequences of their choices) 

2. Szeth will disagree with the way Nale runs things. 

3. Taravangian will try to make an alliance with Alethkar, in an attempt to maneuver it into his control. 

4. Adolin will not deal well with his guilt and confess. 

5. The stone shamans will strike to try and recover the Honorblade, but stop the attack upon seeing surgebinders. 

(I agree with a LOT of the predictions made above. I'm only writing down new ones that haven't been mentioned)

1. Jasnah will expose herself as alive to her family.

2. We find out what Dalinar asked for from the Nightwatcher. My guess is he asked to be like Gavilar. (Thus leading to his visions, reading and agreeing with The Way of Kings, eventually courting Navani, possibly even his position as a Radiant) (Also, nobody has posted this as a theory? I guess I should)

(Stuff that only makes sense if you read Edgedancer:)

Spoiler

3. Nale argues with Ishar and the other heralds. He joins the fight with the Stone Shamans, along with Szeth.

4. The heralds, or at least Nale, do as they did in the old days and try to unite humanity against the voidbringers. (Talenel too? If he gains control of his body)

5. Kaladin brings some form of justice upon Roshone (but without breaking his oaths)

6. Shallan becomes some kind of double agent, acting for both Jasnah and the Ghostbloods. As part of the climax, she tries to reconcile them and make them band together.

(Sorta Spoilers if you don't really know what Sleepless are)

Spoiler

7. Aimians attempt to sabotage Taravangian

Lift will be awesome... OK that ones not really a theory more of a given

Kaladin will punch Roshon in the face shove him into a corner and lead the defense of Hearthstone 

one of the radients will get a suit of plate. 

at the climax of the book Kaladin and Adolin or maybe Taln (assuming the man in the asylum isn't really him) will make an epic last stand for the city of Kholinar stalling for as long as they can while Shallan frantically evacuates the population through the oathgate.

one that i'm almost sure won't happen but i'd love to see it anyway. Jasnah and Lift run into each other while traveling, which I picture as being something like an unstoppable force meets an immovable object.

6 hours ago, maxal said:

7) Shallan finds stuff within Urithiru.

Daring thesis. Considering that is exactly what the cover text of Oathbringer says. :P

1) After leaving Hearthstone, Kaladin will travel to Kholinar and run into Jasnah there, both revealing their Radiant status. Kaladin tells her about Shallan and, together, they return to Urithiru.

2) Adolin and Shallan will break up. Kaladin and Shallan become romantically involved.

3) Adolin's guilt will hit him hard.

4) Adolin will not be able to revive his dead shardblade.

5) I'm going to enjoy Lift's interludes.

6) Kaladin will progress his bond with Syl and obtain shardplate.

1. We learn more about other unmade.  We only have small amounts of facts on 3 of them, and the names of 6.  I theorize there should be 9.
  2. We get great revelations about the Scouring of Aimia.
  3. One more of the 10 Fools is shown and attributes listed.
  4. A truth about the Nexus in Shademar is revealed.
  5. 10k hidden items will be placed throughout the story for us to debate and discuss for the next 3 years.

6 minutes ago, Ammanas said:

Here's mine:

1. A major part of the book will be Dalinar deciding whether or not to commit genocide against the Parshendi (to prevent them turning into storm form)

2. The Vorin church will make a major play for power

3. Tezim is a Dakhor monk

4.Dalinar made a decision that resulted in his first wifes death.

5. Kaladin will be unable to fight during the major showdown at the end of the book and someone else (or a team) will save the day.

Like Dalinar deciding about the about the parshendi.

Did not even think about the Vorn church

Dont like the Kaladin not being there and Dalinar being responsible for the death od his wife.

@Ammanas is there someplace I can read more about Tezim = Dakhor?

My theories:

-Adolin will suffer some sort of punishment for Sadeas murder.

-The Ghostbloods will reveal their goal, and it will be morally grey.

-Some minor Bridgemen will die in the climax.

-Lopen will brag of his new powers.

-Eshonai will reappear, and free herself of Odium.

-The book will be full of shocking plot twists we could never imagine.

Could this Stone shamans be The Stormlight Archives versions of warrior monks ninjas because that would be awesome. 

Another thing that I would like to see happen isa in world drawing of the parshendie . 

I do not want to see Kaladin and Shallan become romantically involved I would much rather see Shallan stay with Adolin and help him struggle through his actions that he did. 

1 hour ago, Toaster Retribution said:

@Ammanas is there someplace I can read more about Tezim = Dakhor?

We really don't have much information on him. All we have is in the 54th chapter of both Way of Kings and Words of Radiance. Honestly the evidence for my idea is kind of flimsy, but Mraize refers to Tezim as: different, probably non-human, and certainly not of the local species. Tezim trying to take the city that isnt his also seems like a very agressive act.  I immediately thought of Dakhor monk for some reason, but to my knowledge I am the first to do so thus far.

Edited by Ammanas

12 minutes ago, Ammanas said:

We really don't have much information on him. All we have is in the 54th chapter of both Way of Kings and Words of Radiance. Honestly the evidence for my idea is kind of flimsy, but Mraize refers to Tezim as: different, probably non-human, and certainly not of the local species. Tezim trying to take the city that isnt his also seems like a very agressive act.  I immediately thought of Dakhor monk for some reason, but to my knowledge I am the first to do so thus far.

Interesting. I doubt he is of Dakhor, as Brandon wants Stormlight to be readable for those who haven't read his other works. The most popular idea is that he is an Unmade, I believe.

That said, Tezim being a Dakhor monk is certainly a very cool possibility :-)

12 minutes ago, Toaster Retribution said:

Interesting. I doubt he is of Dakhor, as Brandon wants Stormlight to be readable for those who haven't read his other works. The most popular idea is that he is an Unmade, I believe.

I certainly don't have enough faith in my own idea to get defensive and try to defend my idea, but Brandon has said the Stormlight Archives would feature the most Cosmere of any of his series and would be prominent as the series progresses. One of the worries he has is his series becomming like a "Avengers Movie" (and no I dont have a link to a w.o.b to back that up :)).

I am not the Sharder that comes up with elaborate ideas based on hard evidence (thats more @Calderis@Pagerunner and several other peoples thing). I just think of cool ideas and throw it against the wall and to see what sticks.

Edit: Also thanks for the unmade tip. I looked them up and the seem very interesting.

Edited by Ammanas

26 minutes ago, Ammanas said:

I certainly don't have enough faith in my own idea to get defensive and try to defend my idea, but Brandon has said the Stormlight Archives would feature the most Cosmere of any of his series and would be prominent as the series progresses. One of the worries he has is his series becomming like a "Avengers Movie" (and no I dont have a link to a w.o.b to back that up :)).

I am not the Sharder that comes up with elaborate ideas based on hard evidence (thats more @Calderis@Pagerunner and several other peoples thing). I just think of cool ideas and throw it against the wall and to see what sticks.

Edit: Also thanks for the unmade tip. I looked them up and the seem very interesting.

i think this is the one you're talking about. 

QUESTION

What was the reasoning between there being many, many years between different stories in the different parts the Cosmere, like the huge gap between Warbreaker and Way of Kings, for example?

BRANDON SANDERSON

I want the Cosmere to be more than just a little blip of time. The concept for the Cosmere was never something to me like the Avengers, which a lot of people kind of view it that way because the Marvel movies have been so big. But it’s not like all these concurrent stories with the same characters converging, that’s not how I ever planned it. Now there are some people who are functionally immortal or close to it that will be involved in things across time, but I’m telling an epic story. And I knew we needed thousands of years between some of the events. For instance, Roshar, we start in the Prelude at 4500 years or whatever before the book starts. It’s like, if I didn’t have some big gaps, what are the stories that are happening in between? It feels illogical and false to me to have all the stories happen in a short time period. As certain part of the magic allow more communication and connection, then we will have to, by nature, accelerate some of those things. I feel like if I spent ten thousand years or whatever, and only had all the stories happen in the last 50, it would feel really weird. So that’s why.

Edited by Kered

@Kered Thanks, but that is not the one I meant. From what I remember Brandon expressed a fear of it becoming like a Avengers movie and right afterwards said, "but that's a problem for another day" or something to that effect. I can't for the life of me remember where I heard it. I think I was browsing the coppermind and clicked on one of the notes for the original source.

2 minutes ago, Ammanas said:

@Kered Thanks, but that is not the one I meant. From what I remember Brandon expressed a fear of it becoming like a Avengers movie and right afterwards said, "but that's a problem for another day" or something to that effect. I can't for the life of me remember where I heard it. I think I was browsing the coppermind and clicked on one of the notes for the original source.

Round two? 

QUESTION

As the Cosmere gets a lot bigger, what is your biggest worry going forward writing the books?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Going forward, my biggest worry is making sure that I do things like get the SA done as a solid, complete whole, rather than letting it become...like, too distracted about the Cosmere. Like, I’m not worried about that for Mistborn, but I’m worried about that for Stormlight. Stormlight needs to be a self contained whole, it needs to be a self contained epic, and I have to be really careful not to - in the later books in particular - let it turn into the Avengers, something like that. So that’s my biggest worry right now, that I will let too much of that seep in. I’m being very careful.

Here's mine

1 - Dalinar, when he visited the Nightwatcher, asked to be removed of his feelings for the one he loved, to no longer pine for Navani, but instead had his memories of his wife, who he had come to love more, removed.

2 - Kaladin is an idiot and spends far too long letting Rashone or other Lighteyes in his hometown treat him like crem, only summoning his Sprenblade and changing his eye colour when he has to fly off to fight and save them from something, rather than right at the start.

3 - Zahel/Vasher will meet up with Jasnah at some point, and have some ship-worthy or at least interesting interactions when she realises what a brilliant, if belligerantly gruff, scholar he is. And especially if she, the aethiest, finds out he's essentially a Demigod if he chooses to be.

4 - Kaladin, or another Radiant, progresses far enough in the ideals to be able to create their own Shardplate, and my prediction is that it'll be hardened/crystallised Stormlight, an upgrade of their ability to retain Stormlight escaping through their pores.

5 - Navani will have bonded the Honourblade Kaladin gave to Dalinar, to study it, have protection of her own when Dalinar isn't around, and because nobody will expect her, a woman, to have something so precious.

1 hour ago, Rawrbert said:

Here's mine

1 - Dalinar, when he visited the Nightwatcher, asked to be removed of his feelings for the one he loved, to no longer pine for Navani, but instead had his memories of his wife, who he had come to love more, removed.

2 - Kaladin is an idiot and spends far too long letting Rashone or other Lighteyes in his hometown treat him like crem, only summoning his Sprenblade and changing his eye colour when he has to fly off to fight and save them from something, rather than right at the start.

3 - Zahel/Vasher will meet up with Jasnah at some point, and have some ship-worthy or at least interesting interactions when she realises what a brilliant, if belligerantly gruff, scholar he is. And especially if she, the aethiest, finds out he's essentially a Demigod if he chooses to be.

4 - Kaladin, or another Radiant, progresses far enough in the ideals to be able to create their own Shardplate, and my prediction is that it'll be hardened/crystallised Stormlight, an upgrade of their ability to retain Stormlight escaping through their pores.

5 - Navani will have bonded the Honourblade Kaladin gave to Dalinar, to study it, have protection of her own when Dalinar isn't around, and because nobody will expect her, a woman, to have something so precious.

Never thought about Jasnah meeting up with Zahal/Vasher. What happened to Vasher lady friend from warbraker sorry forget her name Rebecca?  Love yor idea about Dalinar and his wife. I just can't see Kaladin in shardplate

There's the big mega-theory about the Rosharan Afterlife, that I'm hoping will get some love in this book. The spren we've really spent time with, like Syl and Pattern, both have lost memories when coming over from the other side. With Dalinar and the Stormfather (who is himself partly comprised of Honor's Cognitive Shadow), I'm hoping we'll get some juicy info about what's actually going on with the system as a whole.

I'm hoping that Bridge Four will pretty much all be Windrunners. I think Windrunners are a very structured order (with ranks and what not), and that Kaladin has been building his whole Order through his training. They might be squires now, but they might be able to 'upgrade' from squires to Radiants proper, and them the other bridgemen that Dalinar rescued from Sadeas could stay as squires. (Or work towards Radiants in their own right.)