Hacking AonDor Magic

1 hour ago, ElephantEarwax said:

I was thinking, could it possibly be used to change other forms of investiture, that was my thought on why Hoid wanted it.

We don't know why Hoid wanted it, or the extent of it's capabilities. So unfortunately, we just don't know. 

On the language issue, these quotes are from AU

These Shards were extremely influential in the development of human societies on the planet, and most of their traditions and religions can be traced back to these two. Uniquely, the very languages and alphabets used today across the planet were directly influenced by the two Shards.

In addition, the rules of perception and intent are greatly magnified on Sel, to the point that language—or similar functions—directly shapes the magic as it is pulled from the Cognitive Realm and put to use. This overlap between language, location, and magic on the planet has become so integral to the system that subtle changes in one can have profound effects on how the Dor is accessed. Indeed, I believe that the very landscape itself has become Invested to the point that it has a growing self-awareness, in a way unseen on other planets in the cosmere. I do not know how this happened, or what the ramifications will be.

And some about the moon scepter. I don't believe it enables off-world usage of the Dor or conversion of investiture. I believe it enables the use of a different region's magic (eg using a soul stamp in Arelon) by 'translating' the symbols/language to draw upon the Dor anywhere on Sel for use in any Sel magic system

Q: I've always wondered why Hoid stole the Moon Scepter from The Rose Empire. He is collecting investiture, so it must be pivotal. Is it possible that the Moon Scepter is connected directly to Dominion and Devotion's investiture (maybe via the moon-rocks?). If you have the Moon Scepter, you can get around the pesky proximity problem of the magic system(s)?

A: I'll talk about this eventually, but it IS related to the proximity problem--just not in the way you're assuming.

Questioner: How exactly is the Moon Scepter linked to the Dor?
Brandon: The Moon Scepter is--  I suppose I can canonize this, now.  Okay you’re getting one out of me--  So the big thing about the Moon Scepter that it was-- it is a Rosetta stone for the Selian magics.  Meaning it translates them from one to another, and what the different symbols mean, does that make sense.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/1/2017 at 9:51 PM, Extesian said:

This overlap between language, location, and magic on the planet has become so integral to the system that subtle changes in one can have profound effects on how the Dor is accessed.

I was thinking about shapes and forms, and realized there can be possibly other even more subtle interaction.  Like a ketek. Or the selfish equivalent of one.  5 separate distinct parts contained within one palindrome.

• Chaos locked this topic