Selish Magic Systems

9 hours ago, Calderis said:

The Dor is inaccessible off world

This WoB seem to indicate that there is a way

Interview: Sep, 2012

Odium's_Shard

Can magic systems from one world work in any given other?

Brandon Sanderson

For some, it will take quite a bit of work, but it's possible to get them each to work. Sel's magics are regional, and so they are going to be tough. Scadrial's magics are the easiest.

http://www.theoryland.com/intvsresults.php?kw=Sel

In the cognitive realm it would be possible after all...

Spoiler

if it were not the Ire would have had a big problem. I am of the opinion that sooner rather than later the fight with odium will spill over into the CR and then the fun would begin..

18 hours ago, Nathrangking said:

In the cognitive realm it would be possible after all...

Reveal hidden contents

if it were not the Ire would have had a big problem. I am of the opinion that sooner rather than later the fight with odium will spill over into the CR and then the fun would begin..

Not necessarily. Brandon has said that an Elantrian could travel offworld and would still be an Elantrian, though the obvious visual signs would vanish. Evidence, a certain worldhopper. I think the Secret History example isn't Elantrians needing to 'top up' on the Dor generally so much as it is something specific to their circumstances.

Spoiler

Whether the Ire are trying to maintain more of their power offworld just in case they need it, whether it's part of their plan to form enough Connection for one of them to steal Preservation's power or whether they're Reod-affected Elantrians who are holding it off with their glowy drink. I don't think the last one is the case because the timeline doesn't fit, but who knows?

Right, just pointing out that Elantrians seem to be a very special case. For something like ChayShan, I'm pretty sure that you'd need a hack of the system to make their powers work offworld. They wouldn't necessarily be able to fuel their system with Stormlight. (Spoiler for Words of Radiance)

Spoiler

Vasher/Zahel can use Stormlight to remain alive because his Divine Breath doesn't care what form of Investiture it gets, but we have WoB that he hasn't worked out how to use Stormlight to fuel Awakening.

I think that ChayShan would probably work the same way, where the magic system specifically needs 'Dor-flavored' Investiture to work rather than any available Investiture. It's quite likely you could make ChayShan work somehow but it might be more complicated than just gaining the ability to inhale Stormlight.

Thougn admittedly, a spren bond with the attendant alteration to your sDNA might be the sort of thing that helps make such hacks possible, if you have the sDNA for multiple systems it might be easier to figure out how to get aspects of one magic to work within the framework of another.

If the Ire could hack the dor it is not a stretch that  in the cognitive realm a practitioner of ChayShan should be able to do it as well. It is not my contention that chayshan would be powered by stormlight rather the dor would be accessed and used.

22 minutes ago, Nathrangking said:

If the Ire could hack the dor it is not a stretch that  in the cognitive realm a practitioner of ChayShan should be able to do it as well. It is not my contention that chayshan would be powered by stormlight rather the dor would be accessed and used.

Your not the only one making it but this is an assumption. 

Secret History spoilers. 

Spoiler

We don't know what exactly they were drinking, and while it's assumed that the pipeline is carrying the Dor, I've never seen that confirmed. 

Every WoB I've seen has wiggled out on the drink, and I've never even seen one concerning the pipeline. 

The Dor is never mentioned in SH. We only assume because we know who the Ire are

Edit: just realized what forum we're in. Added spoiler tags. 

Edited by Calderis

17 minutes ago, Calderis said:

Your not the only one making it but this is an assumption. 

Secret History spoilers. 

Reveal hidden contents

We don't know what exactly they were drinking, and while it's assumed that the pipeline is carrying the Dor, I've never seen that confirmed. 

Every WoB I've seen has wiggled out on the drink, and I've never even seen one concerning the pipeline. 

The Dor is never mentioned in SH. We only assume because we know who the Ire are

Edit: just realized what forum we're in. Added spoiler tags. 

I believe that

Spoiler

the drink is liquid Dor investiture because of these two WoBs

Question

So, why did Hoid in Secret History have to ride on another person to get to the Well, when that person could float on--

Brandon Sanderson

Sooo, what he’s floating on is a Cognitive Shadow, it’s a spirit, it’s not an actual person.

Question

Do we know them?

Brandon Sanderson

You don’t know them, don’t worry about them. But see, he’s using that as a boat because it’s easy to sink through the mist. And if you notice, he has to coat his oar with Investiture in order to move him. So yeah, he’s floating on a person’s soul. It was so much easier with the Pits, but that’s because there were boats and things.

Question

My question’s about Secret History, specifically it’s a two-parter. The first part’s easy to answer. Is it relevant that the glowing substance that Hoid puts on his oar is very similarly described to the stuff that the Ire drinks, the glowing…?

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah, that is relevant.

Question

And does it have to do with Connection.

Brandon Sanderson

Ah… [sigh] Yes, but not the way you’re thinking. I’m wiggling out of... Yes, it has to do with Connection, but so does a dog. Cause a dog is Connected to things. [laughs in the audience] You said “does it have to do with”! The answer is yes. [more laughs]

It's speculation, but I think the two are the same, and we know the stuff on the oar is investiture, not connection, therefore I think the drink is investiture. It makes sense as well as it seems to strengthen the IRE.

The pipeline I'm in two minds about. Investiture pumping into the castle should prevent the spirits of the stones from returning to Sel's Cognitive Realm. But I believe it's Connection because of this WoB

Brandon Sanderson

You could Awaken. If you were to somehow make it there, you would be able to Awaken. It’s the easiest of magics to get the magic from, and then to manipulate. Because it has keyed into it Identity.

Question

[garbled]

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, you can take Breath onto another world. In fact, you’ve seen characters do this.

Question

[garbled]

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, it would work the same way. The only magic that is location-dependent-- the ones who aren’t interested in this, just hum to yourself, okay? You don’t need to know any of this stuff to enjoy the books, okay? I’ve [written] them so that each series can be read independently, and enjoyed. There is behind the scenes stuff, and if you want to dig, it goes pretty deep. So on Sel, we have AonDor. AonDor is based on the fact that the Dor, which is an amalgamation of Dominion and Devotion, has been pressed together and stuffed into the Cognitive Realm by Odium who didn’t want it to gain sentience, as Investiture will do if it is left alone. It will either seek someone to be its Vessel or it will gain sentience. He pressed it in there; he pressed it together, which creates the violent reaction, because those two Intents are opposed. And that is the foundation of the magic. Because it’s stuck in the Cognitive Realm rather than the Spiritual Realm (the Spiritual Realm is location-independent; Cognitive Realm is location-dependent), it makes the magic on Sel only work in close proximity to what is keyed through there to the location they’re keyed to. This has to do with Identity and Connection--mostly Connection. So that means you can’t do AonDor on another planet, but you can do other magics works anywhere, because they’re drawing the magics specifically through either the place, or they’re end-neutral, like Breath is, and don’t need any extra power.

• Chaos locked this topic