Fruits in Era 1

Cloak

It was emphasized in Mistborn Era 1 that flowers didn't exist on Scadrial. But we come across 'fruits' multiple times in the story. 
I'm clearly not an expert in botany, but from whatever I learned in my school - don't fruits grow from flowers? 

So how did the fruits exist during Era 1? Did the Lord Ruler manipulate it (when he held the power) in such a way that fruits were available without the need of flowers? 

I've noticed this as well. I'd assume that the "fruit" as they see is is not true fruit, but something similar enough that once the world got covered in ash people continued calling it fruit as it was the closest word they had.

We know that in the Cosmere, the way someone describes something doesn't necessarily mean that it's that exact thing. For example, we know from a WoB (I have now idea how to post one, so if someone can add it...) that on Roshar the people referred to any kind of bird simply as 'chicken'. So it can be that though they are calling it fruit, it is actually  something else like Windrunner said.

Edited by Storming Radiant

• Chaos locked this topic