Mistborn vs Stormlight

ICanDream

Which is better?

Personally I massively prefer Stormlight. It's so much more epic, so much more rich in detail...

But I'm interested in your opinions.

So, in your opinion, which is better - Mistborn or Stormlight?

(Back up your arguments if you can)

I LOVE Mistborn. It's my favorite Cosmere series, though I do really like Stormlight. The main reason I like Mistborn better is that I feel like every single book comes together to make this amazing story, and I absolutely love the characters from the story. I love the foreshadowing, the crazy plot twists, the amazing complexity to the magic system, and the awesome worldbuidling. Don't get me wrong, I really like Stormlight, and WoK and WoR are two of my favorite individual Cosmere books, but I feel that Mistborn, as of right now, is a much better series compared to Stormlight. Of course, as more Stormlight books come out that'll change, but for now my favorite of the two is Mistborn.

Also, this is probably better suited to go in either the Cosmere Theories board or the General Brandon Discussion board.

Detail and scope Stormlight. 

Magic system for inbuilt complexity and detail Mistborn. The Metallic Arts have a depth and level of delineation that is basically the reason we understand realmatic as well as we do... 

In my opinion, Stormlight is a superior story in almost every way. The characters, world, plot and fantasy elements just feel much more fleshed out and interesting. If I was to recommend something by Sanderson to another reader, it would almost always be Stormlight.

That being said, I find Mistborn occupies my thoughts far more than Stormlight. We know just enough about the magic systems to reasonably speculate and consider the implications of, yet not enough to make it boring or uninteresting to learn more about. Meanwhile, when shown something in Stormlight, our best speculation usually devolves into "lol i dunno, maybe some Spren and Stormlight or something make it work  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯"

As time goes on, I expect things will reverse somewhat. We'll learn enough about Fabrials and Surges to nerd out as engineers, and Scadrial will advance far enough past its homogeneous roots to really feel like a fleshed out planet, with a really interesting setting for stories and diverse characters for us to appreciate as readers.

2 minutes ago, 8bitBob said:

In my opinion, Stormlight is a superior story in almost every way. The characters, world, plot and fantasy elements just feel much more fleshed out and interesting. If I was to recommend something by Sanderson to another reader, it would almost always be Stormlight.

That being said, I find Mistborn occupies my thoughts far more than Stormlight. We know just enough about the magic systems to reasonably speculate and consider the implications of, yet not enough to make it boring or uninteresting to learn more about. Meanwhile, when shown something in Stormlight, our best speculation usually devolves into "lol i dunno, maybe some Spren and Stormlight or something make it work  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯"

As time goes on, I expect things will reverse somewhat. We'll learn enough about Fabrials and Surges to nerd out as engineers, and Scadrial will advance far enough past its homogeneous roots to really feel like a fleshed out planet, with a really interesting setting for stories and diverse characters for us to appreciate as readers.

I feel the same way. I do dwell on SA more, but my brain is more attracted to the story elements than the science. 

I definitely feel like we have a much clearer picture of the way magic functions in the Cosmere specifically because of the Metallic Arts. Especially Feruchemy. 

I like where we're at with Mistborn so far better, but that's because we've had almost two complete arcs. We're so close to the beginning with Stormlight, but I know I'll love it even more when we're at Book 4 or 5, because it's a better book. I don't think I got quite as excited after Hero of Ages as I did after Words of Radiance, for instance.

I love both stormlight and Mistborn, and asking me to choose a favorite is like asking me to choose a favorite child. At this point, I guess I'll have to go with Mistborn, just because we know more about its magic system.  The Metallic Arts are the perfect example of Sanderson's hard magic system since we know the limits so well.  Plus, I sometimes feel like the magic system in Rosario is op, but that's kind of the point, with all the investiture there.

And we can't forget Wayne.  His viewpoint chapters are hilarious.

Wow. Hard question.

So, I've read Mistborn a ton more than Stormlight, but thats because I had to borrow the Stormlight archive books, and I own all of the mistborn ones. So, because of that I understand Mistborn much better, and spend more time theorizing about it.

However, I really like reading Stormlight and can't wait for more to come out. I think that individual books, I'd enjoy reading a SA book more than a MB one, but I also think that I'll be much more attracted to MB once the Era 4 books come out. The sci-fi nerd just can't wait.

• Chaos locked this topic