Sel and the Shardshovel

Steeldancer

Just now, The One Who Connects said:

Raoden thinks it to himself after the battle. He's examining a Dakhor bone and makes the language connection.

Thanks. I knew it was known, but didn't remember the source. Didn't even think to look at the book. 

• 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, 8giraffe8 said:

Doesn't hemalurgy require contact with blood? So unfortunately I don't think @Oversleep's idea of spiking the planet would work :P

That was something that also surprised me when Brandon talked about doing Hemalurgy on spren.

Q: Can spren be pierced by hemalurgic spikes? Will it give some effect?

A: Yes. A spren can be pierced by invested metal…

Q: Could it be spiked?

A: Could a spike be used to give abilities to spren? That’s not going to work really well.

Q: Could you steal from a spren?

A: Yes you could steal the investiture of a spren. Any investiture can be used in a spike if you know what you’re doing. It’s actually not that hard to use one on a spren.

Q: Because I thought you said hemalurgy needs moving blood.

A: It needs, uh, yeah…there are places where spren have more physical form, more tangible form.

Q: The Cognitive Realm?

A: Yeah if you go to the Cognitive Realm on Roshar the spren act differently.

Q: So you could spike in the cognitive realm?

A: Yeah I’ll leave a RAFO with you on that. That’s your fifth one. So there are ways to get any investiture into hemalurgy if you know what you’re doing. But yeah this is not something that would be a common use for hemalurgy. Let’s just say that.

Q: We do not concern ourselves with common uses.

A: Yeah I know you don’t. But yeah hemalurgy, when you’re spiking into somebody you…you’ll see when we get around to it.

If spren can be spiked, then there's surely a way to spike a planet.

12 minutes ago, Toaster Retribution said:

Would it be technically possible to create a super-powered planet, then? If you managed to spike Scadrial with powers/spikes from Roshar, Nalthis and Sel, what would happen?

It would probably depend on what you stole. Perhaps a Shard or Shards would find themselves Invested in a different world.

1 hour ago, Agent34 said:

It would probably depend on what you stole. Perhaps a Shard or Shards would find themselves Invested in a different world.

That would be terribly interesting. Invested Shards can't leave their planets, but if you invested a Shard to a planet which it isn't on... wonder what would happen.

1 minute ago, Toaster Retribution said:

That would be terribly interesting. Invested Shards can't leave their planets, but if you invested a Shard to a planet which it isn't on... wonder what would happen.

Only one way to find out! 

The Spren answer makes me think that you can spike a spren to gain investiture, but they could not be empowered by a spike. 

It says they cannot be spiked, but they can be stolen from.

I think a planet would be much the same, you could hypothetically (and realistically... You're just going to destroy the planet outright) steal from a planet with a massive spike. I doubt that spike could actually be placed to grant anything to a different planet. 

8 hours ago, Calderis said:

The Spren answer makes me think that you can spike a spren to gain investiture, but they could not be empowered by a spike. 

It says they cannot be spiked, but they can be stolen from.

I think a planet would be much the same, you could hypothetically (and realistically... You're just going to destroy the planet outright) steal from a planet with a massive spike. I doubt that spike could actually be placed to grant anything to a different planet. 

We know from Mistborn era 2 that spikes can be split up into separate parts and maintain a charge. I guess it depends on how much investiture is in the planet to steal in the first place and how big the spike actually is, whether there would be enough investiture to split up into hundreds or thousands of working spikes. It wouldn't have to go in another planet.

Edit: And of course we have know way of knowing what they would do, even if they did work.

Edited by Cowmanthethird
Spelling

• Chaos locked this topic