So I just started my first re-read of Elantris, and only got through the first chapter when   I had an idea. We know Galladon joined the 17th shard and that he's a worldhopper, but has anyone considered the possibility that Galladon joined the shard before the events of Elantris? Admittedly I don't have much reasoning behind this half-baked theory, it just caught me as suspicious the way that Galladon conveniently was the first (mom-ravenous) person that Raoden encountered. And then even more so when it's saying how Raoden didn't know why but he liked and trusted Galladon. Perhaps Galladon was working for the shard and when he got taken by the Shaod they wanted him to figure out how to restore Elantris for some reason. This could explain why 1. He didn't want to work with Raoden at first since he didn't know who he was or what he was trying to do and 2. Why his home is in a little library thing with  a bunch of books. 

Let me know what you think

I'm not the best with Cosmere theories, but the entire goal/purpose of the 17th shard is one of non-intervention and maintaining the status quo. I dont think they would go out of their way to restore Elantris. I think the 17th shard eventually found him after Elantris was restored, saw he had power and potentially useful, and recruited him.

I could always be wrong of course. Cool theory though. I will throw a upvote your way for thinking out of the box!

The reason I'm so skeptical about Galladon being recruited after Elantris is because he doesn't really have anything to off the seventeenth shard. I mean sure he's Elantris now, but so are soooo many other people. Before he was taken by the shaod he said he used to be a farmer so why would the shard view someone with farming skills as a valuable asset? 

1 minute ago, Jonathon said:

The reason I'm so skeptical about Galladon being recruited after Elantris is because he doesn't really have anything to off the seventeenth shard. I mean sure he's Elantris now, but so are soooo many other people. Before he was taken by the shaod he said he used to be a farmer so why would the shard view someone with farming skills as a valuable asset? 

He's got experience leading, knowledge of governments in both decline and ascendancy, and has access to a form of investiture. Add that to the longevity of an Elantrian and the experience gained in the time after Elantris, and why wouldn't they? I strongly doubt the Galladon we know is the same man in the Shard. 

That argument really only applies if he was recruited at or before the time of the book. 

You also presume that they only recruit those who "have something to offer". it could be the let people join who discover them. Maybe Galladon found other 17th Sharders on Sel, or maybe he was the explorer sent to investigate the Cognitive realm after a long time had passed on Sel and though he struggled through the chaos of the Dor, he couldn't find a way back. Stranded, maybe he came across Silverlight and the 17th Shard?

I agree with Calderis too that he does have something to offer the group, and would be worth recruiting... I just don't know how they or Hoid got through the danger of the Dor to transit the perpendicularity. 

We know there are multiple Elantrians Worldhopper after the Elantris' restoration... Galladon could be not the only Elantrian in the 17th Shard.

Sel was the most Realmatic aware before the Reod, if the current Elantrian recovered that informations, it's easy to understand how they could have multiple contact with Cosmere wide organizations like the Shard. There could be a exchange policy between organizations both with knowledge and agents

• 2 weeks later...
  • Chaos locked this topic