Portable Elantris

From my understanding when I read Elantris, the city is essentially one giant Aon, and acts as a power enhancer for all Elantrians near it. Does this mean that an Elantrian could use the Aon Dor anywhere if they kept a copy of Aon Rao with them? Would the distance from Elantris affect Rao, or would the Aon Rao be immune to the distance side affect since it enhances power nearby?

1 hour ago, Faceless Mist-Wraith said:

Does this mean that an Elantrian could use the Aon Dor anywhere if they kept a copy of Aon Rao with them?

RAFO.

Mi'chelle

If an Elantrian were to get Aon Rao tattooed to them, would it increase their ability to use the Dor, or would it make it so they can use the Dor outside of Elantris?

Brandon Sanderson

RAFO.

I also remember a discussion about an Aon Rao shaped backpack, with a smaller Aon Rao inside, with anoth... but I think it might have been just on the forums, since I can't find a WoB on it. Meaning that I don't think it got answered with a yes/no.

I think we know enough by now to say that this probably wouldn't work. It might on Sel, but not off-world. Since you need the Dor to power anything, it wouldn't matter what kind of key you use, if there's no power to unlock. If you brought the Dor with you somehow, and did the Aon Rao trick, then it might work.

1 hour ago, The One Who Connects said:

I also remember a discussion about an Aon Rao shaped backpack, with a smaller Aon Rao inside, with anoth... but I think it might have been just on the forums, since I can't find a WoB on it. Meaning that I don't think it got answered with a yes/no.

I did not see this, though it sounds interesting. I was just trying to think of a way that an Elantrian could get around the magic system's limitations, 

Spoiler

since Galladon has shown that it is possible.

54 minutes ago, Faceless Mist-Wraith said:
Spoiler

since Galladon has shown that it is possible.

Has he now? What has he done that implies getting around the distance limitations of the magic?

Spoiler

The mere act of Worldhopping implies nothing. Perpedicularities are practically their own type of magic, and we know that the distance limits affect Aon Tia teleporting distance when you start away from Elantris, while Raoden goes the exact distance specified when starting from Elantris, so even this method can be done within the established limitations.

2 hours ago, The One Who Connects said:

Has he now? What has he done that implies getting around the distance limitations of the magic?

Spoiler

It hadn't been explicitly stated, I just made the assumption since Ishikk didn't notice anything odd about his appearance. I thought he used an illusion to hide his elantrianess.

3 minutes ago, Faceless Mist-Wraith said:
Spoiler

I thought he used an illusion to hide his elantrianess.

Spoiler

Pretty sure that's just because of distance from Sel and by extension, the Dor. I don't recall any mention of the Ire glowing either, but I'd have to reread SH

Edited by The One Who Connects
Added in a minor SH Spoiler

3 hours ago, The One Who Connects said:
Spoiler

Pretty sure that's just because of distance from Sel and by extension, the Dor. I don't recall any mention of the Ire glowing either, but I'd have to reread SH

Spoiler

Does this also apply to the silver/metallic look of an Elantrian's skin, or would distance from the Dor only affect the glowing?

Edited by Faceless Mist-Wraith

52 minutes ago, Faceless Mist-Wraith said:

Reveal hidden contents

Does this also apply to the silver/metallic look of an Elantrian's skin, or would distance from the Dor only affect the glowing?

If they aren't glowing, makeup becomes a perfectly reasonable solution either way. 

• 2 weeks later...
Spoiler

I was pretty sure this wouldn't work, and that's why the IRE had to have their pipe/wire of Dor thorough the CR to have their Base near Scadrial be "powered".  In that case the stuff connected to the wire, did glow, but I don't recall if the people did (not sure if it would matter either since they were in the CR in that 'scene').

Edited by Voidus
Spoilers

Another thing to keep in mind that there are at least 2 other illusionist magic systems (Lightweaving, twice) and that if those three are from 17th shard (I can't remember if that was confirmed) then there are probably at least a couple 17th sharders who could use one of those to mask Galladon's identity. Of course, I know next to nothing about those two magic systems, so I have no idea what is or isn't possible. Other than one uses stormlight that is. 

36 minutes ago, Lord Maelstrom said:

Another thing to keep in mind that there are at least 2 other illusionist magic systems (Lightweaving, twice) and that if those three are from 17th shard (I can't remember if that was confirmed) then there are probably at least a couple 17th sharders who could use one of those to mask Galladon's identity. Of course, I know next to nothing about those two magic systems, so I have no idea what is or isn't possible. Other than one uses stormlight that is. 

Eh, Lightweaving (Roshar) and AonDor are really the only options we've seen.

The other Lightweaving is Yolish from before the shattering, so beyond Hoid, there probably aren't a lot of people who can use it. 

On 6/26/2017 at 6:49 PM, Faceless Mist-Wraith said:
  Hide contents

It hadn't been explicitly stated, I just made the assumption since Ishikk didn't notice anything odd about his appearance. I thought he used an illusion to hide his elantrianess.

Hide contents

Have a proper answer.

[–]mistborn[S] 7 points 2 years ago 

An Elantrian away from Sel would still be an Elantrian--but many of the visible signs would fade away, much like something florescent that stops glowing when moved away from a Black Light.

Just now, Calderis said:

You are just in top form today. 

Wasn't on yesterday, gotta bounce back somehow.
Honestly: Half of these that I post are unrelated entries that I read while searching for a particular WoB. I just happen to remember old subjects of conversation for longer than I should, so I hunt the topic to fit the WoB, rather than the reverse like the rest of you.

Just now, The One Who Connects said:

Wasn't on yesterday, gotta bounce back somehow.
Honestly: Half of these that I post are unrelated entries that I read while searching for a particular WoB. I just happen to remember old subjects of conversation for longer than I should, so I hunt the topic to fit the WoB, rather than the reverse like the rest of you.

I understand. If I remember a keyword and can pull up something specific I do, but like with my Taldain topic, if I don't, I just search for whatever I think might be related and find cool extras in the process. 

You have a much better memory than me though. 

1 minute ago, Calderis said:

You have a much better memory than me though. 

I really don't. My "method" is just different from yours, so I remember obscure connections better than others, at the expense of the straightforward ones.
This can also come back to bite me, as the key memory here was the conversation about Galladon. With just that information, there is absolutely no way to find this topic. At all.(because the topic isn't about him, the title isn't either, and his name is only mentioned in spoiler tags, which are not valid use for this site's search function(for obvious reasons))

I had to go back through 8 pages of my posts until I saw "Has he now?" and then it clicked. Because I can remember snippets of context here and there

On July 15, 2017 at 6:29 PM, The One Who Connects said:

This can also come back to bite me, as the key memory here was the conversation about Galladon. With just that information, there is absolutely no way to find this topic. At all.(because the topic isn't about him, the title isn't either, and his name is only mentioned in spoiler tags, which are not valid use for this site's search function(for obvious reasons))

Sorry about that. I didn't mean to make the topic hard find. I was mostly just trying to see if there were any strong theories for extending the effective range of Aons.

Just now, Faceless Mist-Wraith said:

Sorry about that. I didn't mean to make the topic hard find. I was mostly just trying to see if there were any strong theories for extending the effective range of Aons.

It was mostly the spoiler tags we had to use. Search function doesn't give results that are inside spoiler tags, but I understand why they set it up that way.

It's been a while since I read SH, but didn't the Ire have to drink some kind of glow-y fluid to retain some of their connection to the Dor away from Sel?

It didn't look like that method was quite as good as actually being on Sel, since the Ire didn't look like perfectly healthy Elantrians...

But my guess is that this stuff was invested from Sel. Quite possibly liquid taken from Devotion's shardpool. And to some extent, it sustained the Elantrians while they were away from Sel.

2 minutes ago, Drake Marshall said:

It's been a while since I read SH, but didn't the Ire have to drink some kind of glow-y fluid to retain some of their connection to the Dor away from Sel?

They did. It's a chapter summary, so it's in spoiler tags

Spoiler

Chapter 3

duralumin

Kelsier decides that stealing the orb from the vault would be too risky and difficult, so he merely waits until they come out with it. After about a week, the Ire and some guards leave the fortress on horseback. Kelsier stalks them. Every night they stop and make camp, drinking something that restores the glow to their skin. Kelsier spooks Alonoe by pretending to be Ruin. He continues to terrorize them as they press on, convinced that since "Ruin" can only threaten them, he can't stop them. He causes full out panic when he slices the leg of a horse with Nazh's knife and creates a Ruin puppet from a flaming cloak. Alonoe gets separated from the main group, and he fakes her death by wearing a robe from the fortress and "melting" into the ground, causing the main group to head home. He knocks out the guard with Alonoe and whispers from the shadows to leave the orb. She's terrified and complies. He orders her to walk back to the castle.

Yeah, that's the bit I'm talking about :)

I'd bet that this fluid is taken from devotion's shardpool.

Probably it doesn't actually let the Elantrians use Aons... But it probably gives them access to some of the physical benefits of being an Elantrian that you would normally lose when you leave Sel.

Possibly including agelessness. Some of the Ire seemed to be very old.

EDIT: Except maybe you don't need to drink the stuff for agelessness, because Galladon probably wasn't drinking it, and he is a worldhopper.

Edited by Drake Marshall

Elantris is probably portable around Arelon though. Aon Reo is based of the shape of Arelon, so Reo should work anywhere on that land mass. I don't know that there is any reason that Elantris had to be in a certain location. 

Also, we're not sure how it was made in the first place. For all we know, somebody just carved an Aon Reo into the ground and grew the city from there. Maybe there could be two Elantrises (Elantri?) in Arelon.

Edited by Figberts

• Chaos locked this topic