Is Hoid aware that he's a character in a book? (Probably)

Luck Spren

This may not be a surprise to most of you, but I've found something rather interesting while re-reading The Way of Kings. 

I remember that one of the questions in one of the latest FaqFridays was: Is Hoid aware that he's a character in a book?

Although the question didn't have enough votes to be answered, I've found this in the scene where Kaladin and Hoid met for the first time.

Kaladin hesitantly raised his own hand. "Kaladin. And yours?" 

"I've many" The man shook Kaladin's hand. "I began life as a thought, a concept, words on a page. That was another thing I stole. Myself. Another time, I was named for a rock."

Keep in mind that this is highly debatable, I just thought it was funny enough to share with you.

Edited by Luck Spren

The character we know as Hoid didn't always have that name. That was the name of his former master, and the character we see in the books took that name for himself. I believe that's what the exchange with Kaladin is subtlety referring to. 

Edited by Andy92

16 hours ago, Andy92 said:

The character we know as Hoid didn't always have that name. That was the name of his former master, and the character we see in the books took that name for himself. I believe that's what the exchange with Kaladin is subtlety referring to. 

That's interesting but I love that name so I hope he goes by that in his own book.

On 6/25/2017 at 7:26 AM, bdoble97 said:

That's interesting but I love that name so I hope he goes by that in his own book.

While almost everything in the Liar of Partinel sample chapters is still subject to change, we can probably assume that we'll be introduced to Hoid by whatever his original name is like in those samples (which call him Midius) and we'll only see him adopt 'Hoid' as his preferred name at a later point in the Dragonsteel arc. Currently we have evidence that he's gone by at least two aliases pre-Shattering (he and Frost both mention his being named for a rock and WoB says this was Topaz, the other was mentioned in Secret History and Word of Peter says the full name was Cephandrius Maxtori) so we're likely to see stretches of time where he goes by those names and potentially others.

• Chaos locked this topic