How Odium shatters other shards

Kedwin

1 minute ago, The One Who Connects said:

I can't find it either, but there's one that specifically says that Honor "co-opted" several things upon arrival, and that Surgebinding wasn't one of them. However, we do have this one.

I think that establishes it pretty well. Especially in conjunction with that addition WoB I posted about the Stormfather. 

18 minutes ago, Thanatos said:

The One Who Connects,

So its confirmed Stormlight is not of Honor?

Not originally at the very least. I'm still searching for the "co-opted" entry, but as Calderis said, it wouldn't really change the story.

Found it. Now let's see if I can find the transcript.

There was a following conversation about this topic, about how a lot of the elements were there before Honor arrived, but he coopted them. So, Stormlight is there, but there are big differences now. So, modern Stormlight might not be Adonalsium's Investiture. But there was probably ancient Stormlight that was. I'll wait until we get the transcript taken care of, since I was still on cloud 9 from the Harmonium reveal and the Herald reveal.

Edited by The One Who Connects

On 20/06/2017 at 9:57 PM, Calderis said:

And Honor being willing to sacrifice himself in order to trap Odium and safeguard the rest of the Cosmere is something so in line with Honor's intent that Odium should have definitely seen something coming. 

Self sacrifice is something that Odium is incapable of. It can´t even understand the concept, let alone use it on it's machinations.
The shards are severely limited by it's Intent.

39 minutes ago, red032 said:

Self sacrifice is something that Odium is incapable of. It can´t even understand the concept, let alone use it on it's machinations.
The shards are severely limited by it's Intent.

I'd fully agree with you if Odium was in control like Ruin with Ati. But Rayse hasn't succumbed, and to be cunning, you have to understand what drives others. 

• 5 months later...

I have a theory about Odium's method to Splinter shards: he uses the Tzai method and attacks their spiritual aspect directly by concentrating his power enough for a blow that will destroy it. However given that a shard is not just a simple object like a sword it requires a lot more focus and power thus leaving Odium a tad drained afterwards, and then he either does whatever he wants with the pieces or leaves them to their own devices.

I mean Rayse and the other shardholders(well the original ones at least)are all from Yolen which means at least some of them could have learn the ways of the Tzai while there and Rayse IS described as crafty and dangerous so it could fit, I'll also add that if the letters author(most likely Hoid) was against the Shattering I could see why he hates Rayse as I am sure the guy took part in the shattering, eagerly at that I would wager.

Granted this is based on things that might change in the future with the new and improved version of Dragon Steel and the fact that Hoid, a Yolen native , is using an old Pre Shattering form of Magic from there but I still think that's how Rayse/Odium does his thing and for that matter I would not be surprised that the Tzai methology played a role in Admonalsium's shattering.

• Chaos locked this topic