Napalm in the Forest of Hell

TheOneKEA

I was rereading the essay written by Khriss about Threnody and continued to stick on her statement about how the perpendicularities on that planet have a morbid origin. Having mulled it over a lot, I believe that a perpendicularity can begin to form when a bunch of Shades are all gathered in one place at one time and are all aroused by an action which breaks the rules of the Forest.

With that in mind, I naturally went to an extreme scenario - how many Shades could be gathered if someone beought napalm to the Forest and began deploying it? What would actually be happening in the Cognitive Realm if someone was merrily burning everything in sight and attracting every Shade within shouting distance?

Considering how Sanderson has some vaguely Lovecraftian horrors in Stormlight Archive (at least by implication, when you have things like 'Re-Shephir the Midnight Mother') I wonder if the planned Threnody novel will have a character discovering a hastily scribbled letter written by someone who went mad when they encountered Things That Man Was Not Meant To Know.

But to the original question, Threnody's perpendicularites are noted to be difficult to predict in Khriss' essay. Since she's talking about traveling to the planet I don't think that's really a problem for your theory so it could be that doing something to set off a lot of Shades at once could indeed be what she's talking about in terms of the morbid origin. That would result in a gathering of large-ish amounts of Investiture in a single location, perhaps enough to make a perpendicularity form briefly before the Shades disperse. No idea what that would look like in the Cognitive Realm and I volunteer someone else to go find out for us. I'll stay here, thanks. xD

Edited by Weltall

39 minutes ago, Weltall said:

Considering how Sanderson has some vaguely Lovecraftian horrors in Stormlight Archive (at least by implication, when you have things like 'Re-Shephir the Midnight Mother') I wonder if the planned Threnody novel will have a character discovering a hastily scribbled letter written by someone who went mad when they encountered Things That Man Was Not Meant To Know.

But to the original question, Threnody's perpendicularites are noted to be difficult to predict in Khriss' essay. Since she's talking about traveling to the planet I don't think that's really a problem for your theory so it could be that doing something to set off a lot of Shades at once could indeed be what she's talking about in terms of the morbid origin. That would result in a gathering of large-ish amounts of Investiture in a single location, perhaps enough to make a perpendicularity form briefly before the Shades disperse. No idea what that would look like in the Cognitive Realm and I volunteer someone else to go find out for us. I'll stay here, thanks. xD

I don't feel like being around to find out either...

If this theory has any plausibility, I think it's entirely fair that the perpendicularity would only be there for a brief moment and that it would be very hard to use, since you'll be appearing in the Physical Realm surrounded by very angry Shades.

• 1 month later...

Perhaps the perpendicularity occurs when a person is taken by the shades and becomes one themselves. When a person becomes a cognitive shadow in such a manner, it draws upon the remnants of the Shard and creates a brief connection to the cognitive realm. And if this is the case, then it has ramifications for the Desolations and the return of the Heralds on Roshar...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...