Modern Society in AonDor

25 minutes ago, The One Who Connects said:

He's going off the "definitions." He made the same "Ien = wisdom" mistake Recneps made on Thursday.

The words that Aon Daa represent are "power, energy." It's a reasonable enough assumption to make, and it's essentially the one that I made about Aon Rao(except I have the Ars Arcanum backing me up)

1. Maybe not. Aon Rao though... "In AonDor, Aon Rao serves as a power amplifier."
2. Sort-of. You could use a plate inscribed with Shao & specific modifiers so you could mass-produce plates, but I'm not certain you could use an Aon to inscribe an Aon onto something.
3. At present, Ien is healing. Aon Ene though... you aren't gonna be hitting Taravangian level, but you could probably get close to a Zinc Compounder.
4. Ire is "time, age." I'm not seeing the Taravangian connection here.
5. Unless you've got a magical method, Edo is already unbreakable. It draws power from the Dor to match whatever physical force it's up against. (You raise a valid question, albeit unintentionally. What would a stronger Edo shield do, if it's already unbreakable?)
6. No. "Boosting the Power of" is not the same as "Change the Ability of." Mistborn Spoilers:

Reveal hidden contents

Omi removes negative emotions, so it's basically Soothing. A Metallic Arts version of a power boost would be Duralumin.
We've had a Duralumin boosted Soothing on someone, and while Straff was heavily numbed by the experience, he was not controlled.

I was thinking you could enhance Omi so far to make everyone fall in love with you and follow your every command. Anyways, you could make "soothing stations" that didn't actually require people to be there. I was thinking that the Ire could have super-intelligence with the boosting because they sound kind of derogatory and Taravangian is like that too on his smart days.

Just now, TheYoungPyromancer said:

I was thinking that the Ire could have super-intelligence with the boosting because they sound kind of derogatory and Taravangian is like that too on his smart days.

I just saw them as old enough to have learned/experienced so much that they see the mundane as beneath them. Take TLR as an example, since he'd been around long enough to stop caring, and realize that several members of the Ire are even older than he is.

4 minutes ago, TheYoungPyromancer said:

I was thinking you could enhance Omi so far to make everyone fall in love with you and follow your every command.

It doesn't make people love you. It instills a sense of calm and tranquility. Also, taking it back to Mistborn...

Spoiler

We've tried something quite similar on here before. Compounding Connection(which actually relates to you, unlike Omi's calm) does not make one a leader of fanatics.

Duralumin: Connection. Everyone will trust you and follow your every command. Imagine infinite charisma

Duralumin: Trust sure. Following commands... Being very connected with people could make you a pseudo-very close friend, but I don't see it somehow making you in charge. I can see people having less doubts about "ideas" you suggest, but I wouldn't equate connection with charisma just yet.

6 minutes ago, TheYoungPyromancer said:

Anyways, you could make "soothing stations" that didn't actually require people to be there.

Possibly. Still takes it back to that bit of the Ars Arcanum:

Text in question: "It is peculiar in that it requires the Elantrian drawing it to feel sincere affection for those around them,"
If the affection is also needed when activated, hire a pacifist or friendly religious fellow. Otherwise, we're good.

That said, if you programmed the Aon to run forever(or for a year, to test it), then you could have the Elantrian activate it and then be fine for a while. (This is what i think you were implying)

• 7 months later...
On 9/23/2017 at 2:38 AM, Agent34 said:

Although Aons can be very versatile and powerful they take time to draw and have to be perfectly precise in order to work. Keep in mind Selish magics are basically programming reality in one way or another.

Can you make an Aon that makes Aons and powers them?

1 hour ago, Oltux72 said:

Well, can you make an Aon that creates objects containing the shape of Aon, powering that shape, so that the Aon has a magical effect?

You can carve Aons into things and they'll still have an effect. No need to transform something if you can just draw it on there and have it be effective. 

3 hours ago, Invocation said:

You can carve Aons into things and they'll still have an effect. No need to transform something if you can just draw it on there and have it be effective. 

I believe they're specifically asking if you could use Aons to mass produce functional Aons. It would take a person a decent amount of time to carve an Aon into stone, so could you have an Aon do the carving for you? That kind of thing.

2 hours ago, HSuperLee said:

I believe they're specifically asking if you could use Aons to mass produce functional Aons. It would take a person a decent amount of time to carve an Aon into stone, so could you have an Aon do the carving for you? That kind of thing.

Oh. My bad.

That, then, is doubtful, except maybe for certain Aons in certain configurations with the right intent.

Edited by Invocation

8 minutes ago, HSuperLee said:

Yes. Technically an object of any shape seems to be producable by Aons. That would include the Aons themselves.

6 hours ago, The Young Pyromancer said:

But then there is the question of intent.

Do you need intent to make the physical Aon? For activation it looks like intent is needed, but different creators can cooperate in making an Aon or Elantris couldn't have been fixed.

12 hours ago, Oltux72 said:

Do you need intent to make the physical Aon? For activation it looks like intent is needed, but different creators can cooperate in making an Aon or Elantris couldn't have been fixed.

You can't accidentally make an Aon. You need to want to. Galladon says something along those lines, and the only reason Raoden was able to fix Elantris was that he knew it was an Aon and went in intending to repair it.

• 6 months later...

Could someone make a stamp with an inert Aon on it, then just kind of stamp the air to produce its effect?

That could be an easier way to mass produce aon effects. Without the drawback of having to take the time to draw Aon Daa it could turn the tide in the Elantrian Dakkor war.

Imagine a swarm of hundreds of Aon Daas flying at the enemy. We already know that they can kill a Dakkor monk in one hit and if they had fortifications to defend themselves the explosive force would tear through everything.

Wow...First necro...Oops

Edited by The Forumlurker
necro...

On 10/2/2018 at 6:42 PM, Invocation said:

You can't accidentally make an Aon.

You cannot accidentally draw an Aon into the air.

You need to want to.

Well, you can make the shape. How could that be prevented? It will just stay inert. But will it just stay inert to you or permanently?

Galladon says something along those lines, and the only reason Raoden was able to fix Elantris was that he knew it was an Aon and went in intending to repair it.

True. But he drew only a part of the correct Aon, because the rest was already there.

And that is the point. If a Muggle makes a copy of an Aonic street light, nothing happens. But what if an Elantrian, who recognises the shape and thinks the copy genuine activates it, will it work?

That you can make a faulty Aon that has an other than the intended effect means that the only intent you need to have is to do magic. The effect is determined only by the shape.

1 hour ago, The Forumlurker said:

Could someone make a stamp with an inert Aon on it, then just kind of stamp the air to produce its effect?

Why would you bother? The Aonic lamps in Elantris work just fine as glyphs on the walls. Elantris itself works in physical form.
I see no reason that the Aons drawn into the air would have any advantage in their effect.

8 minutes ago, Oltux72 said:

And that is the point. If a Muggle makes a copy of an Aonic street light, nothing happens. But what if an Elantrian, who recognises the shape and thinks the copy genuine activates it, will it work?

An Elantrian would need to make/draw the Aon. Without that it would have no special properties beyond confusing people who don't know what it means.

Two Elantrians can work on the same Aon if they intend to. Pretty sure that's why anyone can dim or brighten the lightplates. Probably means you need to allow for that to happen in the initial Aonic construction, likely meaning whoever made Elantris allowed for a potential situation just like this. Doubtful that it would be able to activate if someone not connected to the Dor were to try, since there'd be nothing to keep the Aon powered in the first place to allow for activation. 

You cannot accidentally draw an Aon into the air.

Or literally anything else, but that's beside the point. You have to draw the Aon with intent even if you're not an Elantrian, it just won't do anything if you're not. The Aons are complex and precise enough to where you have to really be trying to draw them in any capacity, Elantrian or not.

It will just stay inert. But will it just stay inert to you or permanently?

An Elantrian would have to trace over it, probably. 

That you can make a faulty Aon that has an other than the intended effect means that the only intent you need to have is to do magic. The effect is determined only by the shape.

"Do magic" in this case meaning to draw a functioning Aon, yes. Also, yes the effect is determined by the shape, but that's due to the filtering the shape provides. 

22 minutes ago, Invocation said:

Or literally anything else, but that's beside the point. You have to draw the Aon with intent even if you're not an Elantrian, it just won't do anything if you're not. The Aons are complex and precise enough to where you have to really be trying to draw them in any capacity, Elantrian or not.

If you can draw them by hand, you can surely make a wax cast and pour a copy.

22 minutes ago, Invocation said:

An Elantrian would have to trace over it, probably. 

"Do magic" in this case meaning to draw a functioning Aon, yes. Also, yes the effect is determined by the shape, but that's due to the filtering the shape provides. 

That would mean that every Aon would need to store the intent forever.

3 hours ago, Oltux72 said:

If you can draw them by hand, you can surely make a wax cast and pour a copy.

You'd still have to at least finish the Aon to get it to work.

3 hours ago, Oltux72 said:

That would mean that every Aon would need to store the intent forever.

Yes. What's your point?