Numbers in the cosmere

Merrickz

Question

Hey again,

So I've been wondering about the whole special importance of 16 in the Cosmere and its relevance but after thinking about it for a while I realised I could only come up with 2 places where 16 is important (Shards of Adonasium and Investiture on Scadrial). Not only that but the number 10 has as many if not more places of importance (10 surges, 10 essences, 10 heralds, 10 fools, 10 biochromatic heightenings) granted lots of these are on Roshar and could have the same root cause but the 10 Heightenings make me suspicious. Then there's AonDor which oddly has 62 Aons and no real reason why.

So I suppose I have 2 questions, 

1) Why is there a deviation from the importance of 16?

2) Are then any examples of the importance of 16 that I missed?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :D 

5 answers to this question

19 minutes ago, Merrickz said:

Then there's AonDor which oddly has 62 Aons and no real reason why.

Aons stand for words, so technically, there could be almost as many Aons as there are words in a dictionary.
Brandon has given us new Aons out of the blue before at signings, so take the current count at face value.

10 biochromatic heightenings [...] but the 10 Heightenings make me suspicious.

The 10 similarity here was just coincidence. Nalthis is actually speculated to be 5. Edit: And there are even 5 examples :)

• The 5 Scholars.
  • Divine Breath take you to the 5th Heightening.
  • The God King is at the 10th (5 via Divine and 5 via normal Breath).
  • If memory serves, there are 25 palaces for the Returned. (5x5)
  • It's been speculated on here that Humans being born with Breath is the "5th" Biochromatic Entity.

Not only that but the number 10 has as many if not more places of importance (10 surges, 10 essences, 10 heralds, 10 fools) granted lots of these are on Roshar

Roshar has special interest in 10, while 16 is Cosmere.

QUESTION

Is there more significance to the 10 other planets around the Rosharian start system and them being gaseous? We know that Roshar's moons have unnatural orbits; so there seems to be some astronomical manipulation in the system.

BRANDON SANDERSON

Yes there is significance of 16 in Cosmere and 10 in Rosharian system.

2) Are then any examples of the importance of 16 that I missed?

Technically, the Rosharan system has 16 stellar bodies abound it's sun. 10 gas giants, 3 planets, and 3 moons. Other than that, none that I can immediately think of

Edited by The One Who Connects

12 hours ago, FiveLate said:

Ruin Preservation.........add up the letters.

Oh you've done it now, time for even more reaching. Roshar has 16's and 10's.

Honor + Odium is 10 Letters. Cultivation + Honor = 16 letters. Cultivation + Odium is also 16 letters.
Honor + Odium + Cultivation is 21 letters. (2+1=3) 2 five letter Shards and 1 eleven letter Shard = 3 Shards

Speaking of 3's, (3!/3)^3 = 8, the number of letters in Autonomy, which I reached using only 1 number :P
And there's 1 Shard on Nalthis: Endowment, which has 9 letters, one for each Shard we know the Intent of (R&P, H&C, D&D, Au&Am, E)

I should stop, preferably before I reach the point where I can even confuse Monokuma.

Edited by The One Who Connects

Hiya,

Very late to this - in general there seems to be a theory that each Shard is associated with a number. Thus far we seem to have Preservation (16 - number of metals used by Allomancers), Ruin (theorised to be 11 - number of spikes in an Inquisitor), Endowment (assumed to be 5, per someone else's reply), Honor (10 - orders of Radiants, etc), Odium (may be an Oathbringer spoiler).

This may be related to the original sundering of Adonalsium, but is a bit unclear.

Welcome to the Shard!

On 12/26/2017 at 3:33 AM, mpar416 said:

Hiya,

Very late to this - in general there seems to be a theory that each Shard is associated with a number.

This may be related to the original sundering of Adonalsium, but is a bit unclear.

Brandon has said that the numbers have more to do with the planets the Shards have Invested in than with the Shards themselves. Odium's thing with nine as opposed to ten is because of Braize, for example.

Edited by Weltall