Quick Fix Game 24: Eliminating Elysium

Sart

This cytonics mechanism... Will be very interesting. And I should be able to participate in this game, particularly since LG34 is probably going to be done by the time this one starts.

Also @Jondesu I approve of your name. I was very tempted to sign up as Arthur Dent after I saw that.

Anyways, I've read the linked story. I thoroughly enjoyed it. It now seems wondrously ironic to style an elimination game off this particular story. Even if the dissidents are presumably violent.

Sign me up as Torin, a munitions technician in charge of maintaining and reloading weaponry on the platform. He was the tin-foil hat type conspiracy theorist, so when he learned that aliens were actually mindswapping humans and infiltrating society, he just said that he's been warning everyone about that all along. Like everyone else, he's interested in this shiny new cytonics thing that the Phone Company suddenly revealed to humanity, but his cytonic potential will remain undisclosed, 'cause the game hasn't started and I don't know what my role is :P

There will be blood.

10 hours ago, Sart said:

Sometime next week. I just got done with my internship, so I will have a lot more free time. I'm thinking Wednesday, the 21st.

Everyone can use Cytonics. You can use Cytonics as many times as you want. Aliens can have any role in the game.

It has to be the person sending in the action. Cytonics only works if the player is targeting you with an action, in this case, the eliminator kill.

Day and night cycles are 24 hours long. PMs are not allowed, because everyone is paranoid and trapped in a tight space. The defender will not be revealed.

Standard win conditions: Aliens want to outnumber the Humans, and the Humans need to kill all the Aliens

So the Phone Company Operator is essentially on the blue team and only marked in a different color because it's a unique role that can't go to aliens?

6 minutes ago, Yitzi2 said:

So the Phone Company Operator is essentially on the blue team and only marked in a different color because it's a unique role that can't go to aliens?

That would make sense, flavor-wise.  They're kinda like a vigilante.

I will be inactive for the first few days, until the 24th probably.

Signing up as Cluny. He had an unfortunate incident several years ago, where he was kidnapped by aliens, who tried to swap his mind with that of a rat, but it turned out wrong, so he is now half-man half-rat. He taught himself how to fight with his tail and is now hunting down the aliens who kidnapped him. (Whether to join or kill them we do not know at this stage.)

I mentioned this in the other game that's about to begin, but I'm heading to an all-day pain clinic (well, 8-4), so I'll probably only be on in the morning and evening, maybe around lunch. That's more limiting in a QF than in an LG, though, so if I feel I'm not participating well enough I may ask someone to just kill me off. I'll do my best though, and won't just drop out or stop playing.

I know I've said that I hate QFs. And I do. So I'm going to keep cursing all of you GMs who come up with mechanics awesome enough to tempt me into a QF anyways.

Sam Rees, reporting for duty

Edited by Seonid
Autocorrect is awful

Alright, it's about time I posted a countdown for this game. It will be starting on Thursday at 1PM Eastern Time

bla_1498150800.png

And here's a Player List:

1. BrightnessRadiant: Raven
  2. Cloudjumper: Phineas
  3. Jondesu: Douglas Adams
  4. Asterion137: Ferb
  5. StrikerEZ: Nathaniel Southeast
  6. Drake Marshall
  7. Elenion: Plato Andersen
  8. Randuir: Tom Kress
  9. The Flash: Wally West
  10. Bridge Boy: Devon Halberdeen
  11. Paranoid King: DR01D
  12. TheMightyLopen: Alm
  13. Arinian: Red Fess
  14. Yitzi2: Jack Cooper
  15. Cluny the Scourge: Cluny
  16. Seonid: Sam Reaves
  17. Ecthelion
Edited by Sart
Took out Shqueeves, added Ecth

Day 1:

It was an unusual day for Jupiter Platform 19. A group of politicians were going to be touring the facilities, so everyone had to look their top shape. They were just starting to examine the missile launch systems when klaxons rang out. Everyone looked up, startled at the turn of events.

"Attention all platform residents." came a voice from the loudspeakers. "Aliens are attacking the facility. They aim to launch the missiles stationed here at earth. We believe several of them to be impersonating humans. Whatever you do, do not let them fire the..." The voice cut out, and muffled shouting and screaming could be heard from outside.

Per operating procedures, the base entered lockdown mode. No one got in, no one got out. The visitors were trapped in the missile room. If one of the aliens got control, who knew what would happen. And so the seventeen survivors began to squabble. And one of them would not make it out alive.

Welcome to QF24. I'm a little late, so this day will be lengthened slightly. It will end on Friday at 7 PM Eastern, 6 PM Central Time.

bla_1498258800.png

Player List:

Spoiler
  1. BrightnessRadiant: Raven
  2. Cloudjumper: Phineas
  3. Jondesu: Douglas Adams
  4. Asterion137: Ferb
  5. StrikerEZ: Nathaniel Southeast
  6. Drake Marshall
  7. Elenion: Plato Andersen
  8. Randuir: Tom Kress
  9. The Flash: Wally West
  10. Bridge Boy: Devon Halberdeen
  11. Paranoid King: DR01D
  12. TheMightyLopen: Alm
  13. Arinian: Red Fess
  14. Yitzi2: Jack Cooper
  15. Cluny the Scourge: Cluny
  16. Seonid: Sam Reaves
  17. Ecthelion

Plato Andersen was in the missile room when the klaxons rang and the doors sealed. After checking his surroundings, he resumed reading his book, a tome entitled "Temporal Forensic Analysis: A Guide to Determining the Causality of Past Events". It sure wasn't interesting reading, but if Plato were to prove his innocence, it sounded like something that might be useful.

Devon gaped upwards at the speaker system, his mouth beginning to curve upwards into a smile. He was really here in the thick of things! This was his chance to see a real alien! Maybe even kill one!

This was his chance to be a hero.

Then it set in what was happening. Aliens were on board. They wanted to kill everyone there and launch missiles to kill more people. They wanted to kill him.

Suddenly it didn't seem so exciting anymore.

So since the only protection roles are using cytonics, do we want to use the first cycle to use whatever roles we may or may not have and relax on the cytonics, or just fire them up and hope we pick the right person?

Did we ever get an answer on what is allowed with PMs?

Goodness me, aliens have infiltrated.

Let's see:

• If all aliens die, everyone's happy. Net happiness: 1
  • If all humans die, aliens fire the missiles and kill all the rest of the humans. Net happiness: -7,000,000,012 or so.
  • If all aliens and humans die, the station's ruined. Net happiness: -50

Therefore, it is in our best interest to launch the missiles... AT THE STATION ITSELF!

I think we're all agreed on this? Okay...

What? The missiles have an oddly specific security mechanism that requires all members currently in the room to be of the same species?

CURSE YOU, POLITICS!

---

Anyways, now we've got that line of reasoning out of the way, it's time to talk about cytonics

So if you target someone with cytonics, and they target you with a non-cytonic action, they die.

This seems like it would be really useful for the village, but it's not, and here's why:

Elims can kill someone every night. Since most people will be using cytonics, it's in their best interest to have their only non-cytonic actions be the group kill. They don't want to die, plus using cytonics might kill someone. So other than the person placing the kill, elims won't be caught out by cytonic defense. (Probably. Now I've said this, the elims might go either way.)

Here's the other actions that can be caught by the cytonic kill:

• Firebrand (1 secret vote, usually not that bad)
  • UIB agent (detects role)
  • PC operator kill (Confirmed village)

So using cytonics every cycle might not be as good an idea as it seems. Now, there's a bit of back-and-forth about that, because what I said above might make the elims more lenient about non-cytonic actions. It's an I Know You Know thing now.

But TLDR, if you're suspicious of someone, use cytonics on them. If you're not, don't stress out about wasting an action. It's okay if you don't use cytonics, because it might do more harm than good.

Elims (Probably) will use cytonics as much as possible since there's no chance of hitting their own side.

EDIT: Now I think about it, a better strategy is just to use cytonics as much as possible, and never use the role actions. It stops the elims from using their kill as much (And if they do use it, they'll target inactives, which is good for us anyways. Ignore everything I wrote above, I guess. I was just writing things down as I thought them.)

Edited by Paranoid King
New thought

• Alvron locked this topic
48 minutes ago, Paranoid King said:

Goodness me, aliens have infiltrated.

Let's see:

• If all aliens die, everyone's happy. Net happiness: 1
  • If all humans die, aliens fire the missiles and kill all the rest of the humans. Net happiness: -7,000,000,012 or so.
  • If all aliens and humans die, the station's ruined. Net happiness: -50

Therefore, it is in our best interest to launch the missiles... AT THE STATION ITSELF!

I think we're all agreed on this? Okay...

What? The missiles have an oddly specific security mechanism that requires all members currently in the room to be of the same species?

CURSE YOU, POLITICS!

Technically, I think the aliens are actually trying to nuke their own people though, not humanity. Which still results in a net happiness of -7,000,000,000 or possibly a lot more so yeah lets just blow the station itself. I support this idea.

Anyways. RP is always a good place to start. I'll do some actual thinking about the game later.

Torin was running a routine diagnostic on the weapons system when the alarm started sounding. It was uncomfortably loud. Plato was also in the missile room, and oddly enough, when the alarms went off, he merely glanced up, then continued reading a heavy looking book in his hands.

"Attention all platform residents." a voice spoke in the loudspeakers. "Aliens are attacking the facility. They aim to launch the missiles stationed here at earth. We believe several of them to be impersonating humans. Whatever you do, do not let them fire the..." the rest of the transmission was unintelligable. Still, it didn't take much imagination to conjecture the last word in that sentence.

Aliens. Torin thought. I knew it! Aliens had obviously been infiltrating human society for thousands of years, accounting for things like the bermuda triangle. It was frankly disgraceful that people were only just realizing that, particularly since it had been proven that aliens were real a hundred so years ago. Torin adjusted his tin foil hat to protect against alien mind control and emotional allomancy, making sure he was still safe from alien influence.

Edited by Drake Marshall

Nathaniel, who preferred to go by Nathan, glanced up when the speakers went off. That whole alien thing had never seemed real to him, even when they realized aliens were actually real and went to go live in space and stuff. Of course, after he'd gained tons of money and managed to lose most of it, Nathan had begun to realize the impossible might actually be possible. So he'd spent the last of it to study to become a scientist, in hopes of actually making more money. Now, that might not work out, especially if these aliens killed all the humans on the platform. That'd be quite bad for money-making if he was dead.

He was a naturally intelligent fellow, but he was a scientist, not a detective. Finding these aliens was gonna be quite difficult for him. Of course, his new philosophy of never excepting something is impossible has seemed to hold true thus far.

PK actually already voted on Ecth. But you still claim the second vote of the game.

Personally, I'm usually a little reluctant to vote on someone D1, but I'll still try and come up with something by the end of the cycle because D1 lynches are important.

Edited by Drake Marshall