What are some of your favorite scenes in the WOT?

Axsaul

SPOILER WARNING

My favorite two happen to be in the same book. Lord of Chaos.

1. When Nynaeve heals Siuan and Leane. It gets me choked up every time when Siuan breaks down.

2. Battle of Dumais Wells. The entire battle is spectacular but that one line. "Kneel and swear to the Dragon Reborn... Or you will be knelt" ooooo it gives me chills. SO satisfying after Rands capture. 

Edited by Axsaul

I like when Rand invades Illian; I think it was A Crown of Swords. Everyone else in the world is beating their heads against various walls; the White Tower split, the Bowl of Winds quest. They've spent all these books talking about Sammael, and how he's totally entrenched in Illian, and how he'll be better prepared than Rahvin in Andor... and then the Asha'man invasion just totally wrecks him. Trigger every gateway alarm weave in the city, making them all useless. A highly organized assault, carried out correctly. Dumai's wells was more impactful, since that was the introduction of the Asha'man, but I always like the contrast they brought with the Aes Sedai in terms of teamwork and efficacy in battle.

I will first say Dumai Wells is tops. Just an excellent scene. I open up and read the end to "Lords of Chaos" at least once a year.

One of my personal favorite scenes, however, is when Mat is complaining to Talmanes about women during Mat's first scene in "Towers of Midnight". It is about three pages worth of Mat ranting and it cracks me up every single time. I reread this scene every year or so as well.

There are a lot of scenes I like (mostly involving Mat) but if I had to choose only one, it would be Mat and Rand boasting about what they have done in the time they haven't seen each others (AMoL): it always amuse me how they found time for this childish game while the world's destiny was hanged by a thread XD

Honorable mentions for Perrin chasing the Slayer and Mat defeating the Gholam.

• 1 month later...

I just have so many favorite scenes that I even have trouble saying which ones I like best. But here it goes. SPOILERS

Nynaeve Heals Siuan and Leane; Egwene is raised Amyrlin; Dumai's Wells

Nynaeve breaks her block

Cleansing of saidin

Egwene vs. Elaida in dinner with Sitters (basically all Egwene scenes in The Gathering Storm)

Battle of Tel'aran'rhiod

Moiraine enters the tent in the Field of Merrilor; Egwene kills M'Hael (and about time, too); Chapter 39 AMoL

And the Light knows, so many more

For me, I think it's the opening part of the prologue to The Gathering Storm. Everything about that is just splendidly written. That, or Verin's "confession". Talk about playing the long game.

As a bonus: Most of what Egwene does in Tel'aran'rhiod, especially in the beginning.

Seems a given, but here be SPOILERS.

I gotta say, pretty much all of Ituralde's scenes are aces. I especially enjoy it when he's on his guerrilla suicide mission inside Maradon, and then Rand shows up and Ituralde is really human about all of it.

Also, when Taim shows up in Camelyn. THAT confrontation is equal parts hilarious and satisfying. Bashere being really chill about Rand going crazy is also perfect.

Mat accidentally blowing a big hole in the stone of Tear. Perrin rescuing Gaul. Gaul refusing to let Perrin go after Slayer alone. All of Gaul's parts, really. Rhuarc separating Berelain and Faile's catfight. Mat trying to escape Cairihen and accidentally ending up being the one to kill Couladin. Mat and Rand going to Rhuidean.

I could go on.

I think my favorite scene in the entire series is when Jahar and Merise go in front of the Salidar hall of the tower.

Another that is pretty high on the list for me is when Lan arrives at Tarwin's Gap in Towers of Midnight.

Edit: just thought of another...

"Mat Cauthon is my bloody husband..."

Edited by The Sovereign

19 hours ago, The Sovereign said:

I think my favorite scene in the entire series is when Jahar and Merise go in front of the Salidar hall of the tower.

I was also going to say that one as well. More than that whole dialogue, the realization that Delana and Halima were Darkfriends

• 1 month later...

Oh my Robert Jordan. There are so many things that are easily my favourite... I remember every scene with joy and wonder and immediately sadness afterwards.

Here are some in random order.

Spoiler

1. When Logan is healed. The moment he realises that he can touch saidin .. oooohhh myyyy lord....

2. I think it was in A Memory of Light where Rand shows Lanfear that he has no feelings for her. (there comes my nickname, Mierin)

3. The moment where Perrin sees Rand in the dream world at the top of the mountain when Rand is about to let everything go to darkness. Holy cow.

4. When Rand is captured by the Aes Sedai. The scenes that lead to the Duma's Wells. (those scenes in the chest, locked alone and with Lewis Therin Telamon.)

5. One more scene that has left me speechless and unanswered for so long: Asmodean saying "YOU!"

Ahhhh, so many...

In no particular order:

"Well that just killed the goat.." - Matt vs Joline - nearly lol'd myself off the lounge!

"lets see how they feel about Calandor in the hands of the dragon reborn... ... I am the storm!!" - Rand vs the Seanchen! - was like this :o

"The golden crown rides for Tarmon Gaidan!! The golden crown rides for Tarmon Gaidan!!!" - Both the Mrs Mandragorian pigeon scene and the Lan gives in scene - I was cutting onions and somehow clapping when I read that i swear!!

"Rand al thor, you will not turn your back on the Amyrlin seat!" - Rand vs Egween - I.. well.. I changed that day man.. I changed..

Yep yep Dummai wells!! The whole scene!!

"Maybe I should use this on you!" - Min vs Rand in far madding just before Cadsuanne walks in.. or was it Nyanneve? - another lol'ly moment :lol:

"its like a storm of light.." - yep, the Rand vs mini Tarmon gaidan scene at marradon - i was metaphorically curled up in a ball

"Bloody Mattrim Cauthon!" Or "Matttim bloody Cauthon!"  - ... you pick..

"I should have made fun of matt more" - Talmains dying - got some giggles from me here

"Burn you matt! Burn you twice over... they told us to leeeave!" - the Talmains blaming matt for hinderstrap scene including the escape and seeing Joline in a nighty

"Shes my bloody husband!?" - you know what im talking about - egwenins squeek lol'd me a bit. ahhh, we do feel for you matt, we really do my prince.

"i need a circle, wise ones dont argue.." - the making - i want one of these hammers i can hang on my wall as i dont think i could ever lift it.. p.s. wise ones.. argueing?

Tarmon gaiden - the whole scene.. - ok, im being greedy with this one but AMoL had me by his hairy bits the whole way..

Not saying there arent other favs, its just.. well.. 14 books worth.. you know..

~~~~

I am conflicted about this TV business. Somewhere between excited, anxious and a'feared.

X'in my fingers they put the effort to do it right and lets never talk about that $2 winter dragon business.. pfft..

**haunting music ** somethings you cant unwatch man..

!~ HIF ~!

Edited by Hoids Imaginary Friend

• 2 months later...

HO BOY!!

Okay, here we go. These all come from the last three books, so- sorry.

-   Rand's revelation on top of the Dragonmount, book 12. One of the singular most beautiful pieces of fiction I have ever read. The revelation, coupled with his redemption- gah, gets me every time.

-   Rand walking through the orchards, book 13. A simpler scene, but it really sets up his 'new character' nicely. Very touching, very heartwarming.

-   Mat killing the Gholam, book 13. Complete. Unadulterated. AWESOME.

-   Mat one-upping himself and escaping the Finn, book 13. EVEN. MORE. AWESOME.

-   The council of the leaders in book 14, coupled with Moiraine's reappearance. 

-   Most of the battle in book 14, but specifically:

• The Seanchan joining the fray
  • Lan killing Demandred (FRICK YEAH)
  • The Horn of Valere being sounded
  • Egwene wrecking M'Hael
  • Androl and Pevara
  • Logain's glory
  • Rand absolutely shutting down Shai'Tan
  • Bao the Wyld
  • The Dragons in the caves

-   The very ending, book 14. Rand walking off into the world. A conclusion to a series nearly two decades (and then some) in the making. In my mind, utter perfection.

Edited by HipsterStick

• 4 weeks later...

Ugh. Now you guys are gonna make me reread this again. Come on! Aren’t I allowed new fiction? ;) 

I loved Mat’s military campaign to escape the Seanchan + protect Tuon. It was fantastic. Well laid out, well written, and loved the characters. 

While I was a little disappointed with Brandon’s ‘Mat’ voice, I loved him in Towers. Storming the Tower? Brilliant. And poor Farstrider. 

Also, Nynaeve in the whole end sequence of books. Especially ‘will he ride alone?’ 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

- The final battle at Emond's Field.

- Every Egwene scene during the Seanchan attack on the White tower. Particularly her standing in front of the hole in the wall of the tower, blasting To'Raken out of the sky.

- Mat sparring against both Gawyn and Galad while barely able to stand, and beating them both.

Reading this thread makes me want to do one final read through...

Both scenes where Hopper gave his life to save Perrin (and the world) - in the waking world and in the Wolf Dream.

"Hopper, the cub who had watched the eagles soar, and so badly wanted to fly through the skies as the eagles did. The cub who hopped and jumped and leaped until he could leap higher than any other wolf, and who never lost the cub's yearning to soar through the sky." (TEotW)

When Brandon signed my copy of AMoL, I asked how to write something related to Hopper & he did. :-)

All the love for Hopper - my fave WoT character by far.

"To soar!!"

• 3 weeks later...

When Faile makes Perrin confront his sadness about his entire family being dead and she just strokes his hair, and as RJ wrote, each stroke brought more tears from him.

Then, when he meets a distant cousin of his who's still alive, and he's young and mentions how girls are 'gross' and 'weird' and Perrin muses to himself that that will change, in time.

There's a scene in Winter's Heart where Rand gets cornered in an alleyway? Or similar, in Far Madding. And without his ability to channel, he still takes the fight directly to the enemies (I haven't read past book 8 in a long, long time) by punching one guy in the throat, pushing him down, rolling over him and drawing that guys sword as he does so and challenging another guy. Truly awesome.

When Rand meets with Tam after his epiphany and breaking down apologizing, and saying he has someone very important to introduce to him [Min] and Tam says "I've already met her" and Rand says "But I haven't introduced you"

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...