Oathbringer Release/Tour FAQ

Pagerunner

5 minutes ago, Fourth Of The Night said:

Hey y'all who have done this before: How does the signing line work as far as questions? How many should I prepare, and can I also ask for him to answer a question in his signature as well?

I'm SO EXCITED FOR TOMORROW AHHHHHHHH

You can ask for a "personalization" for your book if you go through the line. This can be a question that he writes the answer to in your book, it can be a doodle, or, really, almost anything that is quick to do. 

As for how many questions you can ask him directly, it depends. If you ask yes/no questions, you can usually ask a 2-3. If you ask an open ended question that he takes time to answer then it might only be 1. I'd say have 3-4 prepared but order them by "most important" in case you can't ask all of them. 

Hey,  so I'm not able to make it to Provo until mid afternoon. (At least, not without standing in the line for hours with small children in tow - which is mostly a non starter). What do y'all think the likelihood is that tickets will run out by 3:00?

4 minutes ago, Seonid said:

On a related note,  is anyone going to be in the ticket line that doesn't have their plus one spoken for yet?

I have an extra wristband from standing in line for the low numbers. I'm going to the VIP event so I don't need it. Do you want mine? Unfortunately, I only have 1. 

I'm so sorry that I'm super duper out of the loop, but my brothers LOVE the stormlight archives and I just found out about the release party, and I'm in the area- so I really want to go for them. I didn't preorder the book last week, and it looks like the BYU online link is broken/sold out (even for non-numbered/signed copies?). I was looking at Weller Bookworks link, but I don't think you can get a barcode from that option to get a book at the release party (just ordering from BYU?). I just want to find out if there is anyway for poor, uninformed casuals like myself to get any kind of copy of the book before/at the release party at this point.

TL;DR- I haven't preordered yet. Is there anyway to get a book by/at the time of the release party? 

42 minutes ago, CaptainRyan said:

I have an extra wristband from standing in line for the low numbers. I'm going to the VIP event so I don't need it. Do you want mine? Unfortunately, I only have 1. 

Funny story: right after I posted, I had a conversation with an old friend who is also going.  Turns out he will have 3 extra wristbands available from his plus ones, which is enough for my whole party. So I'm actually covered,  and you don't need to pick up an extra one for me.  But thank you so much for offering!

13 minutes ago, Seonid said:

Funny story: right after I posted, I had a conversation with an old friend who is also going.  Turns out he will have 3 extra wristbands available from his plus ones, which is enough for my whole party. So I'm actually covered,  and you don't need to pick up an extra one for me.  But thank you so much for offering!

You're welcome! Glad you found a wristband!

16 minutes ago, jacobrichjackson said:

TL;DR- I haven't preordered yet. Is there anyway to get a book by/at the time of the release party? 

My understanding, which may be flawed, is that the BYU bookstore will have some # of books available for purchase but without a pre-order it is a gamble. I would suggest calling the BYU bookstore today and asking them if you can pick one up today and then take it over to the release party. Otherwise, I'm not sure what your options are. 

15 minutes ago, Beldagon said:

Any ideas if he is coming to Mexico??

From the first post in this thread:

What's the chance that Brandon will come to Los Angeles/Timbuktu/Mars?

Brandon's agent schedules his tour events. If you'd like to see where he has gone in the past, you can check out ccstat's helpful map of them, or to look through Theoryland's event database to see where Brandon's other large tours have been. In the past year or two, he has been doing several smaller tours a year (for YA stuff, Arcanum Unbounded, two Mistborn books in quick succession), but since this will have been almost a year since any other major releases, I suspect the Oathbringer tour will look more like one of the three Wheel of Time tours, with lots of stops.

Big cities tend to get a lot of love, and Brandon's geographic location in Utah means that there tend to be more stops out west than there are in the east (and obviously outside of the continental US). Denver, Seattle, Chicago, San Diego, and San Francisco seem to be the cities getting a lot of visits. Two big cities that seem to not get their fair share of tour visits are Atlanta and New York. The former is probably because JordanCon is held there, so Brandon has plenty of opportunities to visit them. New York has been odd, and the anecdotal reason that I've heard is that signings in the Big Apple are in absurdly high demand, and even a big-name fantasy author like Brandon is still a very small fish in that pond. Brandon could get in when he was working on Wheel of Time, but hasn't really been back too many times since he's finished it up.

For outside the United States, Brandon just finished up a tour through Europe (Bulgaria, Poland, and Germany). He's said he's planning on going to England, but that might not preclude some other European stops. Anything further would be pure speculation on my part (although I seem to recall Brandon is a big hit among teenage girls in Taiwan...)

That's all we know.

13 hours ago, Fourth Of The Night said:

Hey y'all who have done this before: How does the signing line work as far as questions? How many should I prepare, and can I also ask for him to answer a question in his signature as well?

I'm SO EXCITED FOR TOMORROW AHHHHHHHH

If you aren't party of the mailing list, you probably missed this but from Mysterious Galaxy:

Because of the size of this signing, there is a new 2-line signing protocol in place. Customers with a ticket will get to choose to be in one of two lines: an express line and a non-express line. Brandon will sign books for three people from the express line for every one person from the non-express line. The people in the express line get one personalized book per person, no question or posed photo. The non-express line is normal signing protocol, with three personalized books per person, any number of non-personalized signed books, a question and a posed picture.

I'll be going with the non-express line.

48 minutes ago, Fourth Of The Night said:

I'll also be going with the Non-Express line. What number are you? I'm 162!

145. Already picked up my copy. Not sure how early you plan on getting there, but they said they'll be closing the inside off when they reach max capacity (300 people). Wife and I are planning on getting there around 4:30.

3 minutes ago, Salkara said:

145. Already picked up my copy. Not sure how early you plan on getting there, but they said they'll be closing the inside off when they reach max capacity (300 people). Wife and I are planning on getting there around 4:30.

Whoa, really? Even if you have a number? I didn't expect to need to get there so early, I get off work at 3 and have to drive down there from Long Beach.