Oathbringer Release/Tour FAQ

Pagerunner

1 minute ago, old aggie said:

It took me several tries too, but I got in at about 7:10. Whew! For a few minutes there, I thought we were all crashing the BYU Bookstore site!

I came up with another question that's not covered in the article on Brandon's site: Where it gives you shipping options, I selected "Pick up in store" - is that correct? I certainly don't want the items sent to my home - I want them at the release party! :)

I am pretty sure "pick up in store" is the right option! It was last time. Can I ask what your confirmation number was? (Just trying to see if the number shows the digital line order)

Just now, sophiehatter said:

I am pretty sure "pick up in store" is the right option! It was last time. Can I ask what your confirmation number was? (Just trying to see if the number shows the digital line order)

It says "Your order number is SO940" - does that sound right? The order numbers might be for all BYU Bookstore purchases, not just ours for the event...

53 minutes ago, Taliax said:

Any other ideas why it still wouldn't be working?  Unless I've just been refreshing it /too/ much or something...

This is really awful that you're having problems. :( Hopefully Team Sanderson is keeping an eye on this thread and will respond somehow.

Have you tried clearing your browser's cache? Maybe it's loading an "old" version of the page.

Or, try using a different browser - i.e., if you've been using Chrome, maybe try to open the page with Firefox.

If that fails, maybe try rebooting your machine? or try using someone else's computer?

BTW - I never got an actual "404" error - - I got a page that said "Sorry no products fit your search" or something like that. So maybe you're running into forewall issues on your end?

That's all the ideas I've got; if I thnk of more, I'll come back & post them here.

Whenever you DO get through, please be sure to let us know.

8 hours ago, Lightning said:

Finally worked!  (It's annoying that it looks like I'll be book #1200.)

7 hours ago, Taliax said:

Saaaaame finally.  I now regret taking a break from refreshing the page...

It might not have made as much of a difference as you think.

I got in at 7:10, right when the site opened, and my number appears to be 940.

So either they didn't start at zero, or during those first 9 minutes they were processing 940 pre-orders, or something.

Also, 1 number will not equal 1 book, since someone might order multiple copies.

And not everyone who purchased the book via the BYU site will be attending the release party - some people probably just wanted to buy signed books and have them shipped wherever.

Oh well, at least we've got our barcodes.

Hope to see you and all the other Shard-ers at the event! :)

I'm hoping the order number is the total number of orders on the BYU website that day.  I'm really hoping to get a lower number book this time, since my last few have all been around 1000.  I'm not positive I'll get to keep whatever my number anyway, since I'm not 100% sure I can make it to the release event.  I haven't found a flight that I can make work yet, and I'm not sure if I'll lose my number if I have to get it shipped to me.

So I got the tickets for the VIP backstage party, and preordered a book. Sadly, I am an idiot. Do I still need to get a wristband? I know I still need to print out the barcode to actually get the book. Also, there were two options for shipping besides FedEx, one said "At the BYU store" and one said "On Campus." I chose the BYU store, and the email confirmation I got says "Ship Via: Pick Up In Store." Did I choose the right option?

Sorry for all the dumb questions; this is my first signing party!

EDIT: So one of the perks in the VIP ticket is "Reserved seating for Brandon's Presentation", and the book party says that at 8:45 Brandon's Presentation and Q&A begin, so I'm assuming the VIP ticket counts as a wristband? Again, I'm an idiot and I don't know what I'm doing. 

Edited by Nicrosil

16 hours ago, Nicrosil said:

So I got the tickets for the VIP backstage party, and preordered a book. Sadly, I am an idiot. Do I still need to get a wristband? I know I still need to print out the barcode to actually get the book. Also, there were two options for shipping besides FedEx, one said "At the BYU store" and one said "On Campus." I chose the BYU store, and the email confirmation I got says "Ship Via: Pick Up In Store." Did I choose the right option?

EDIT: So one of the perks in the VIP ticket is "Reserved seating for Brandon's Presentation", and the book party says that at 8:45 Brandon's Presentation and Q&A begin, so I'm assuming the VIP ticket counts as a wristband? Again, I'm an idiot and I don't know what I'm doing. 

I have a lot of similar questions as you but, as far as I can tell, we are both doing it right. The VIP option does include a wristband for the evenings festivities and I think you picked the proper shipping option.

That being said, I am still slightly unsure myself and am not 100% sure how to verify that my ideas are correct haha.

@Nicrosil -- I asked the same question re: VIP event / reserved seating / wristband, and as far as I know it hasn't been answered yet. But on further thought, isn't the wristband also for the signing line? So maybe the VIP thing gets you in but not a place in line? I'm sure we'll find out before Nov. 13th.

+ @ CaptainRyan -- I also selected Pick up at Store, and another poster told me that was the correct option for the last signing, so I think we're good to go.

Hope to see you both at the event!! So psyched for this! :D

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, Gavin-son-son-Odegard said:

Hi guys! Do we have any more information about Brandon coming to England as part of the Oathbringer tour? I've been checking his website and there's nothing there about that. 

He did say there was going to be a UK tour, after the US one (and after Thanksgiving), but no official announcement yet. If I were to guess, I'd say early-to-mid December. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/30/2017 at 3:58 PM, BranSanFan said:

You still have to pick up your wristband the morning of the event, even if you are doing the vip party. 

Has anyone confirmed this?  The whole thing is very confusing to me.  If you've ordered your book, and have a VIP ticket then you have to still get in line at 10 AM to pick up your wristband?

On 9/28/2017 at 9:59 PM, Nicrosil said:

So I asked Peter on FB about this as I have a VIP ticket too.  His reply,

"You need to pick up your VIP ticket at the convention center sometime before 7:00 p.m. This has nothing to do with your book number, which you also pick up at the same time and place. If you want to try for a sub-100 number, that's handled by camping out overnight at the BYU Bookstore and getting a number then."

I then asked, "If you have a VIP ticket, that gets you into the VIP backstage party, and reserves your spot at the general release party.  You can get that ticket before 7 PM at the convention center.  You no longer need to be in line at 10 AM to get a wristband for release party as your VIP ticket counts. "

Peter replied,

"No, your VIP ticket is not the same as the release party wristband. You still need to pick up the release party wristband before 7:00 p.m. and after 10:00 a.m. Your book number is handled by the release party wristband."

Edited by Gilly

On 11/7/2017 at 3:09 PM, LordSmeldington said:

So I have two friends going to the Utah one with me, only one of us has pre orderd the book (broke college students and all that) and on the instructions it says you get one wristband for you and one other person, is that for everyone waiting in line for the wristbands, or just if you pre orderd the book

My understanding is that the wristband rule is for the presentation/Q&A before the book signing. The book signing and the Q&A are being treated as different events. They're limited on how many people they can admit to the Q&A, hence the wristband cap, but I believe you don't need to have bought a book to go to the Q&A, and you don't need to attend the Q&A to get a book signed.

I imagine that your friends can come with you through the signing line as well. In the past, I've had a group of about 3 with me for the book signing line, but we only get 3 total books signed, take one picture, and limit our questions. 

I haven't yet been to a Stormlight release, though, and this one's huge, so it might work differently. If I'm wrong about any of this, please, someone correct me.