What would happen if you burned malatium at Hoid?

Steeldancer

Perhaps you'd get a malatium-shadow explosion, cosmetically similar to when two people use atium at each other? I figure he's so old and has had so many chances to remake himself, the normal two shadows would be insufficient. 

Follow up question, what happens if you burn malatium at a shardvessel?

1 hour ago, The Flash said:

But what if you burned malatium at the shard itself? Not the shardholder. Adonalsium revealed? 

I think you'd see an alternative possible intent from if Adonalsium had shattered along different lines. 

13 hours ago, The Flash said:

What deep secrets of hoid would be revealed? What would he have been? I know nobody is going to have true answers, but I wonder if maybe his funky spiritual aspect would mess things up. 

I wonder if you wouldn't see him as one of the Vessels?  In Secret History, Leras implies that Hoid turned against them for some reason.  If he hadn't, that seems like one plausible outcome.

6 hours ago, happyman said:

I wonder if you wouldn't see him as one of the Vessels?  In Secret History, Leras implies that Hoid turned against them for some reason.  If he hadn't, that seems like one plausible outcome.

It is possible. He was offered a shard, but turned it down. 

On 6/11/2017 at 9:17 AM, The Flash said:

What deep secrets of hoid would be revealed? What would he have been? I know nobody is going to have true answers, but I wonder if maybe his funky spiritual aspect would mess things up. 

It's not cannon yet, but..Hoid's origin story in Liar of Partinel, describes what, in my opinion, would most likely be the greatest single turning point in his life:

Failing a bid for control of his clan and being taken in, civilized, and taught lightweaving by his master (also named Hoid).

If you burned malatium while looking at Hoid, I'd speculate that you'd see a wildman of the forest who knew nothing of the Cosmere, Investiture, or any of the other scholarly pursuits he enjoys now.  Compared to the wily, spacefaring, immortal wizard he's become, that would be pretty haunting to see side-by-side.  :lol:

3 hours ago, hwiles said:

It's not cannon yet, but..Hoid's origin story in Liar of Partinel, describes what, in my opinion, would most likely be the greatest single turning point in his life:

Failing a bid for control of his clan and being taken in, civilized, and taught lightweaving by his master (also named Hoid).

If you burned malatium while looking at Hoid, I'd speculate that you'd see a wildman of the forest who knew nothing of the Cosmere, Investiture, or any of the other scholarly pursuits he enjoys now.  Compared to the wily, spacefaring, immortal wizard he's become, that would be pretty haunting to see side-by-side.  :lol:

Ive read Liar. But I think this is definetly a question worth asking Brandon. 

• 4 months later...
On 6/11/2017 at 5:46 PM, Scriptorian said:

Perhaps you'd get a malatium-shadow explosion, cosmetically similar to when two people use atium at each other? I figure he's so old and has had so many chances to remake himself, the normal two shadows would be insufficient. 

Follow up question, what happens if you burn malatium at a shardvessel?

The malatium shadow explosion makes sense to me given his knowledge and (potential) world effecting abilities. Imagine if he had chosen to share his Realmatic knowledge with any main character of any of the worlds he visited? I think (this would be assuming the person burning the metal has the ability to comprehend what they are seeing, or simply process this vastly overloading wealth of information) this maybe have some adverse effects on the malatium burner...

On 10/13/2017 at 10:57 PM, Curious Kid Dan said:

The malatium shadow explosion makes sense to me given his knowledge and (potential) world effecting abilities. Imagine if he had chosen to share his Realmatic knowledge with any main character of any of the worlds he visited? I think (this would be assuming the person burning the metal has the ability to comprehend what they are seeing, or simply process this vastly overloading wealth of information) this maybe have some adverse effects on the malatium burner...

Or, it could end up like Kel when he looked through the tendrils of the future. It just overloads him, even Fuzz has trouble reading those.

• Chaos locked this topic