Influence of the One Power on AonDor?

Before starting, let me advise that in this post I will discuss some (very general) characteristics of the magic system in the Wheel of Time series. I don't think this would count as a spoiler but better safe than sorry.

---

Reading Elantris I found some similarities between the AonDor and the One Power in Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time. Being Sanderson a fan of this series and being Elantris his first work, I think the One Power had some influence (consciously or not) in creating this magic system.

Differently from other magic systems seen in the Cosmere, AonDor is much "more broad" and "less bound" (at least on the what you can do part)... more like the One Power;

Also, both systems draw energy from a source (The Dor the AonDor, Saidar/Saidin the One Power) through intricate patterns (Aons for AonDor, Weavings* for the One Power) with possible catastrophic results if the pattern is wrong.

In short, I think the One Power in WoT slightly influenced Sanderson in creating AonDor: I would like to know if other readers have the same impression or it's just my thought (plus, I don't know if Sanderson has already said something on regard).

*I read the translation of WoT in my own language, so I don't know if this is the proper terminology: bear with me if I'm wrong, I hope you will still understand from the contest.

There are some definite similarities in how mechanical the magics are while still being incredibly broad in application. 

However, I will say that I think you may be over romanticizing the idea of Sanderson taking inspiration from Jordan a bit. There are actually a lot of magic systems that work in this manner, since, in general, it makes writing about the system much much easier; a less good example being the Harry Potter system or the system in saga of recluse. When a character does something totally new and unheard of in one of these systems, it's very easy to explain: they used logic, intuition, or natural magical understanding to expand their magical arsenal beyond its previous limits. If, on the other hand, Kaladin threw a lightning bolt at a parshendi, there would be some serious explaining required. Jordan's system was revolutionary and awesome for its time, but I don't think its underlying physics were as central to the overall plot as aondor is in Elantris. Ultimately, I feel like Jordan structured his system to fit a neceasarily broad and all encompassing 12,000 page epic, and sanderson structured his to be organic for characters to explore in an intuitive manner paralleling humanity's discovery of computing in real life.

Your comparison and the parallels you note are most certainly still valid, I just wouldn't go so far as saying one helped inspire the other at this point.

Btw, if it's not offensive to ask, what is your native language, because you do a great English. :D

On 10/6/2017 at 3:18 AM, hwiles said:

There are some definite similarities in how mechanical the magics are while still being incredibly broad in application. 

However, I will say that I think you may be over romanticizing the idea of Sanderson taking inspiration from Jordan a bit. There are actually a lot of magic systems that work in this manner, since, in general, it makes writing about the system much much easier; a less good example being the Harry Potter system or the system in saga of recluse. When a character does something totally new and unheard of in one of these systems, it's very easy to explain: they used logic, intuition, or natural magical understanding to expand their magical arsenal beyond its previous limits. If, on the other hand, Kaladin threw a lightning bolt at a parshendi, there would be some serious explaining required. Jordan's system was revolutionary and awesome for its time, but I don't think its underlying physics were as central to the overall plot as aondor is in Elantris. Ultimately, I feel like Jordan structured his system to fit a neceasarily broad and all encompassing 12,000 page epic, and sanderson structured his to be organic for characters to explore in an intuitive manner paralleling humanity's discovery of computing in real life.

Your comparison and the parallels you note are most certainly still valid, I just wouldn't go so far as saying one helped inspire the other at this point.

Btw, if it's not offensive to ask, what is your native language, because you do a great English. :D

Of course, in my OP I failed to say that, despite some similarities, they are two very different magic systems (for the reasons you already mentioned) but, well, I didn't mean than Sanderson copied but just that he used some key elements in a new way, creating a similar but at the same time very different magical system.

However, I don't deny I could be biased and these similarities could be just coincidences.

P.S. Thanks for your kind words but I still feel I have a long way to go in order to improve my English: anyway, my native language is Italian XD

• Chaos locked this topic